Did You Go from Natural to a CURLY Perm???

healthyhair2

I know that some ladies on here have let go of their natural hair in favor of relaxing or texturizer. What about those of you , if any who decided on a Wave Nouveau, Ferm Perm or
Wave by Design. I personally have decided on getting a Gina Curl in July, but would love to know the results ladies have had with other brands. Have you experienced better growth? Shedding or breakage? Has it been easy to keep the protein moisture balance in your hair? What products have worked best to keep your curls soft, but not too greasy?

Hi I had a curly perm a few years ago, I had it for about 3 years. I loved it at first but I would get random breakage that me nor my stylist could understand so I ended up cutting it off and tried to go natural. Curly perrms are really tricky because it is a double process so you really have to find a stylist who is really good at it because it can result in bad breakage.

My hair in the pic is with a curly perm, my stylist just used large rods to get a larger curl because I didn't want the jeri curl look.

My hair in the pic is with a curly perm, my stylist just used large rods to get a larger curl because I didn't want the jeri curl look.

Yes, I saw your thread on another board!! Your hair is gorgeous ;) Sorry, you had problems
with the perm. Do you mind telling me what products worked well for you and what your regimen was when you had it? I just wish we had more curl girls here on the board.

It has been years and years but I had a wave nouveau back in early 2000s. I have very fine Type 4c strands.

TBH, I had zero problems with it. I just regular shampood it and and DC'd every week with a reconstructor. I cant recall the name but its still popular here on LHCF...
My hair grew like a weed. I kept it only lightly moisturized. Less than I do now as a natural.

I just let it grow out and chopped because I was a student and too broke for salon upkeep.

It has been years and years but I had a wave nouveau back in early 2000s. I have very fine Type 4c strands.

TBH, I had zero problems with it. I just regular shampood it and and DC'd every week with a reconstructor. I cant recall the name but its still popular here on LHCF...
My hair grew like a weed. I kept it only lightly moisturized. Less than I do now as a natural.

I just let it grow out and chopped because I was a student and too broke for salon upkeep.

Thanks for your response!!! It is proof that if this process is done correctly, the hair can grow.
My natural hair is okay,but I need less frizz and up-keep in my life :) I want a more defined
curl pattern, without having to use so many products at once.

Thank you so much! I actually read that thread. I would never attempt to do a process like this myself. I have decided to go to Gina Rivera of HairsTalent in Connecticut:

http://www.hairstalent.com/About.html

I guess I will have to be the guinea pig and report back to the board:)

Yes, I would never to that kind of process on my hair myself. Hell, I should not have even did my own virgin relaxer! :lol: Can't wait to see your results!

I actually wore a wave nouveau for 13 years --- love loved LOVED it but like someone else posted in here earlier, they are tricky. Just one bad perm session can spell
D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R! It is a double process and whoever does it has to KNOW what they're doing. A lot of stylists nowadays don't do curls so you have to find someone who is a little older and has been doing them for years. I had a run in with a stylist who unfortunately ruined my BSL permed hair which caused a setback for me in 2009. Best of luck.

I actually wore a wave nouveau for 13 years --- love loved LOVED it but like someone else posted in here earlier, they are tricky. Just one bad perm session can spell
D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R! It is a double process and whoever does it has to KNOW what they're doing. A lot of stylists nowadays don't do curls so you have to find someone who is a little older and has been doing them for years. I had a run in with a stylist who unfortunately ruined my BSL permed hair which caused a setback for me in 2009. Best of luck.

Thank you! I am excited to do this single process perm. The work that I have seen of Gina's is amazing.

I had a curly perm when I was younger. That was the longest my hair has ever been. I wish I still had pictures.

The process took all day, but I gad a great stylist who knew what she was doing so my hair was very healthy.

Back