Did she not neutralize or is it the perm?

KeyahGirl

I touched up last week. The place I go to is a little hinky about neutralizing, but people started complaining so they got better about it. When I was rinsing, I asked the woman when she would neutralize and if that was REALLY neutralizing poo she was using. She showed me the bottle, and it did smell like neutralizing poo. She rinsed, washed me three times with it, and did her thing with setting, wrapping, etc.

Now, a week later, WHY do I have stubble on my hairline - stubble, like on my dad's chin? And my perimeter is dry as a bone? :eek: I am sitting here soaking my hair in Humecto in hopes that I will not start looking like George Jefferson up in here. I called the shop - she wasn't there, but the manager said that they neutralize more than once after perms so the perm might have been too strong for me. It's Mizani Rhelaxer. I'd never used it before last week, but I wanted a change because Fiberguard was burning the @*$@ out of me and damaging my scalp. Maybe lye just isn't good for me, but I KNOW no-lye is hot garbage. I've tried most box perms, plus the sensitive scalp versions of Mizani and Affirm with no good results.

This is it, man. If anyone knows of any hairdressers in New York where you can BRING your relaxer (I'm thinking of trying Phyto), please let me know or PM me. Also, if anyone knows anything I can use to nurse my perimeter, please let a sista know also. Thank you.

Hi,
Sorry about your trouble at the salon. I don't know where you are in New York, but you can bring your own relaxer to Sisters Unisex in Brooklyn. They are on Lawrence Street and the number is (718)624-5444.

Hope that helps:)

healthyhair2 said:
Hi,
Sorry about your trouble at the salon. I don't know where you are in New York, but you can bring your own relaxer to Sisters Unisex in Brooklyn. They are on Lawrence Street and the number is (718)624-5444.

Hope that helps:)

That is a huuuuuge help, thank you! :D I'm uptown, but the Dom salons up there are sketchy about letting you bring your own relaxer. I am quite willing to spend some time on the subway to get what I want in my head put there. I may go for a rollerset to gauge the vibe of the place, but I think I have heard some nice things about Sisters.

Thank you so much again!

Oooh. My mama would have a fit. LOL.
My mother used to be a beautician and told me stories of how one of the shop owners that she used to work for never used neutralizing shampoo to rinse out a relaxer, only regular shampoo. My mother brought her own supplies in when she saw so many of the owner's customers with damaged hair.

If they are doing hair, they in no way, shape or form should be hinky about using a neutralizer to wash out a relaxer. If they are, RUN DON'T WALK away from there. That shop will undo what you're trying to do.
Good luck !

tyefrmy said:
Oooh. My mama would have a fit. LOL.
My mother used to be a beautician and told me stories of how one of the shop owners that she used to work for never used neutralizing shampoo to rinse out a relaxer, only regular shampoo. My mother brought her own supplies in when she saw so many of the owner's customers with damaged hair.

If they are doing hair, they in no way, shape or form should be hinky about using a neutralizer to wash out a relaxer. If they are, RUN DON'T WALK away from there. That shop will undo what you're trying to do.
Good luck !

Thanks so much! Yes, I'm done with that. I almost have full APL hair, and I'm not trying to undo all my progress. Did your mom ever say why ANYONE with sense would want to not use neutralizing shampoo? I didn't even think a perm would "take" properly unless the needed neutralizing process was adhered to. You learn something new every day.

And yay for your mom looking out for her customers! I wish more beauticians were like that, f'real.

hairmaster said:
MAZANI HAS ITS OWN NEUTRALIZING SHAMPOO. WAS SHE USING A MAZANI BOTTLE

Yes, she was. She showed me a bottle that said Phormula 7 or something like that, and it said it was a neutralizing/chelating shampoo. I opened it up and smelled it, and it had a "neutralizing shampoo" smell. That's not to say that it couldn't have been something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in the bottle, but it was a Mizani bottle and it did smell like a neutralizing shampoo to me. Yet, my hair is not acting right, and she didn't leave the perm on that long, so I don't understand why my edges would be breaking unless she didn't neutralize or somehow the perm was too strong for me.

Baby you need to start self relaxing. It's hard but it's one of the only ways to make sure your hair gets done how YOU want.

I don't have any advice aside from that. A lot of salons do folks wrong b/c they don't have any sense.

KeyahGirl said:
Thanks so much! Yes, I'm done with that. I almost have full APL hair, and I'm not trying to undo all my progress. Did your mom ever say why ANYONE with sense would want to not use neutralizing shampoo? I didn't even think a perm would "take" properly unless the needed neutralizing process was adhered to. You learn something new every day.

And yay for your mom looking out for her customers! I wish more beauticians were like that, f'real.

My mom said the woman was just cheap. That was the long and short of it. My thing is, people trust their beauticians (or at least they're supposed to). How can you be cheap when someone's trusting you with something so important?
I'm really sad b/c my mom doesn't do hair anymore (she's in her 60's so I guess she could use a break. LOL). But when she was doing my hair, it grew soooo long. I messed it up totally about 10 years ago (and trust me...I still gotta hear about it from her. :-) ).

That's the main reason why I will do my own hair now (braids, weaves - when I wear them) b/c it's so hard to find a beautician that cared about their customers the way my mom did. Yeah, I'm a little biased, but she had A LOT of repeat customers.

wheni was relaxed i got my hair done at the salon a couple times- the owners daughter was there for her work experiance and i had to keep telling her to rinse the back properly. and two days later my neck was dry and fallin out!!!! i went back and they gave me a free treatment because the was there fault! now my nape it thinner on one side and that was about 2/3 years back but its gettin thicker.

i hope it gets all better for you! just treaat it with care and youll be fine.

hth
xxx

I say run!!! Even cheap box perms come with a neutralizing shampoo. Why wouldnt a very expensive, strong salon perm need some? And i am not even an expert on this...:shocked:

I am sorry that this happened to you. I agree with everyone else. Not neutralizing properly with the correct neutralizing shampoo will bring on havoc to anyone's hair either in the short or long run. I had a "hairdresser" that I had to let go because she did not properly get enough neutralizing shampoo on my crown area. My hair is thick and that section has to be parted and lifted up to neutralize it properly. My crwn area was always jacked up and she was always saying she was "trimming" it because of split ends. Stay away from that salon.

Sorry to hear that girl, stuff like that pisses me off:mad: and you dont know who you can trust.

If you are looking for a salon in NY that does Phyto relaxers you should try Joseph's on 60th & Lexington and ask for Walter. They have been around for eons (family owned hair experts) and everyone who goes there has beautiful hair from what I remember.

StrawberryQueen said:
Baby you need to start self relaxing. It's hard but it's one of the only ways to make sure your hair gets done how YOU want.

I don't have any advice aside from that. A lot of salons do folks wrong b/c they don't have any sense.
I need to take this advice but Im too skurred and I might underprocess.:(

Back