Did I underprocess my hair?

Aquamarine

Hi there!
First off, I have to say that Isis is one of my hair idols. Her hair is gorgeous and appears to be the same 4a/b texture as mine.

I recently lightly texturized my hair on the 12th of this month. It looked great, but after a week or so, it began to look kinda frizzy. I used a Cream of Nature lye, mild strength mixed with conditioner and olive oil.

Since then, I've decided to relax (well, more like 'textlax' as I hear some say lol) for the next year or so just to see how long my hair will grow again. I've learned so many great things from the ladies on this board!

Last night I used a Soft and Beautiful regular strength, no lye, sensitive scalp. They only come in regular and super strength. It didn't burn at all. I chose this relaxer over a lye relaxer because I always have this 'thing' about being in a location that has no beauty supply stores. I wanted something that I can just pick up at any local Walgreens/CVS/Walmart.

My question is...How do I know if I've underprocessed my hair? I mixed a little olive oil (about a tablespoon full) into it, then applied it to my hair and washed it out in less than 10 minutes. As I smoothed it out, it felt straight. I conditoned with Pantene Relaxed and Natural and it was super soft with lots of slip. .......

My hair still turned out with a texturized look! Could it be that I'm asking too much of my hair's length? It's about an inch and 3/4, so it's still kind of short. I applied some clear gel to 'force' it to lay down. It did, but some parts of the back and sides looked like soft fuzzy afro texture. It's morning now and of course my scarf slid off lol. I feel little ripple waves all over. I know for sure that I didn't OVER process it. Perhaps I should let it grow out some more? Switch to another relaxer? A friend of mine suggested Dark and Lovely no lye, but it didn't offer the sensitive scalp version. I've heard a lot about Affirm but I don't know where to buy it.

*note* My plan is to grow my hair long enough to pull back into a little ponytail so that I can wear faux ponytails that will give my hair rest and protection so that it can grow longer. Then I plan on stretching my relaxer sessions with techiniques that I've learned here. When I go natural again, I plan on going straight to locs after transitioning. That won't be till sometime next year or so. I'm very changable! : )

My hair is always underprocessed, and I just accept it as a fact of life. You know, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both... :lol: I guess I can start calling my hair textlaxed as well.

I usually use lye though, because no-lye kind of locks in the underprocessing. With lye, you have the option of going over the underprocessed areas again. Don't know if I'm going to do that or not though.

baglady215 said:
My hair is always underprocessed, and I just accept it as a fact of life. You know, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both... :lol: I guess I can start calling my hair textlaxed as well.

I usually use lye though, because no-lye kind of locks in the underprocessing. With lye, you have the option of going over the underprocessed areas again. Don't know if I'm going to do that or not though.
lool girl thats exactly what I say...

my hair never relaxes STRAIGHT its always wavy....

Thank you Aquamarine for the compliment! :kiss: I was attempting to catch up on the threads and posts (I've been very busy these days) and I just saw yours. What a surprise!

My hair is not relaxed straight and never has been. I'm not sure if my hair can be bone straight... :scratchch Since LHCF, I relax with a no lye relaxer for 10 minutes only, although the instructions say 25 minutes. I'm ok with that - my hair seems stronger this way. :yep:

Back