Did I do something wrong? HELP!

CaramelPrincezz

Ok yesterday I went to the BSS and Walgreens and I got an ORS Replenishing Pak and the $1.99 Aphogee Protein Treatment for 6 weeks (I didnt kno they had it in a sample size). I decided to do the Aphogee after reading about it cuz I have breakage problems with my hair. So I clarifyed once with Tressemme Clarifying Poo and then I washed again with Creme of Nature(red). Then I put the Aphogee treatment in and used a hairdryer to dry it into my hair as the directions said. When it was extremely hard, I rinsed it thoroughly with warm water then deep conditioned with the ORS Pak, (which smelled like oranges:) ) letting it sit in for an hour. Then i rinsed it out and applied ORS Olive Oil for a Moisturizer on my roots and some on my ends and I used coconut oil to seal the moisture. Then used a nickel size amount of NTM Silk touch leave-in and ran it through my hair. I decided to wrap my hair so i put 4 magnetic rollers in the middle (for body) and wrapped the rest around it using Motions Wrap Foam and water and tied it up with a silk scarf. I was so excited so i went to bed thinking i'm gone wake up and just let it down and go:lol: . NOT:mad: !!! I took my scarf off and my hair was fully dry but it was really heavy and kinda sticky like a lite spritz would be. I had to flat iron it because it was also kinda thick lookin and not really straight.

I guess its very moisturized but I like my hair to be light and fluffy when I get it done and this definitely didnt happen. I'm wondering was it the ORS olive oil or the coconut oil because since i've been using it, my hair has been kinda heavy when i wash. Did i use too much? Or could it be the Aphogee? Did i do something wrong? HELP!!!!:eek: Does anyone know of any good moisturizers and sealants that dont weigh the hair down but still do the job? I want to moisturize everyday but i dont want my hair to look greasy or heavy.

By the way I'm a newbie and i've been lurking for awhile, so I've become somewhat of a PJ already. I have some MTG on the way also. Am i doing too much?

Last edited:
Hi there, I think you may have added toooooo much product to your hair. I know the Aphogee Protein treatment can be really drying. Plus isn't the ORS pack protein as well? I think it was too much protein and not enough moisturizing agents.

I would rewash the hair with a moisturizing shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner. (Check the ingredients to make sure there isn't any protein in either product).

Lastly, a clarifying shampoo can also be drying and strip the hair, so that on top of all the protein sounds like a bad mix. Let us know how it works out. I wish you all the best.

Ok thanx. I read that it was better to clarify first before the Aphogee so i did. But i'll try conditioning with my Mane & Tail deep moisturizing conditioner this weekend and hopefully balance everything out!

lana said:
Hi there, I think you may have added toooooo much product to your hair. I know the Aphogee Protein treatment can be really drying. Plus isn't the ORS pack protein as well? I think it was too much protein and not enough moisturizing agents.

I would rewash the hair with a moisturizing shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner. (Check the ingredients to make sure there isn't any protein in either product).

Lastly, a clarifying shampoo can also be drying and strip the hair, so that on top of all the protein sounds like a bad mix. Let us know how it works out. I wish you all the best.

I agree you probably need to use a moisturize poo or maybe just do a con wash. Also ntm works great as a moisturizer all by itself and then just seal it. HTH

I think you're on the right track. Some of the other ladies may have a few more tips for you. Almost everything that I've about healthy hair learned has been from LHCF.

Let us know your results. :)

The ORS pack is good stuff, but it contains protein. It sounds like your hair might just be suffering from a bit of protein overload. A good, long deep condition with a PROTEIN-FREE conditioner should get you right again. Good luck!

lana said:

You're right, ORS does contain protein as well.

Caramel....it sounds like you could have protein overload like the other ladies said. Try using a deep conditioner w/ no protein after your aphogee treatment.

Hi There,
Yes the Aphogee and the ORS both contain protein. Check the Mane and Tail before you use it, because I believe it contains protein as well. You may want to just do a conditioner wash with a moisturizing conditoner. Hello Hydration is good and it is really moisturizing and inexpensive. Try to find something that doesn't contain alot of protein right now, because that Aphogee had alot. Hope this helps. :)

Hi There,
Yes the Aphogee and the ORS both contain protein. Check the Mane and Tail before you use it, because I believe it contains protein as well. You may want to just do a conditioner wash with a moisturizing conditoner. Hello Hydration is good and it is really moisturizing and inexpensive. Try to find something that doesn't contain alot of protein right now, because that Aphogee had alot. Hope this helps. :)

CaramelPrincezz said:
Ok thanx. I read that it was better to clarify first before the Aphogee so i did. But i'll try conditioning with my Mane & Tail deep moisturizing conditioner this weekend and hopefully balance everything out!

I agree wiith what everyone said about protein overload. I would also just add that you may want to use another conditioner besides Mane & Tail because as I understand, that too contains protein. I don't use it myself so perhaps other ladies who use it can help you out. HTH

I haven't used the ORS pak so i can't confirm if this was the culprit. but that Aphogee trtmnt, I am veeeery familiar with this! I am almost 100% sure that this is the culprit. This trtmnt is known to 'strip' a relaxer, and/or make your hair revert a little. ESPECIALLY if you have a no-lye relaxer. So i think this is why your hair was rough. Oh and you are supposed to wash out this trmnt with shampoo, and then deep cond. You skipped out on the poo! everything else in your process looks good to me. Except i don't know if ORS is moisturizing enough to get your hair back soft, so if ORS didn't work, then pick a deep moisturizing cond like hummectress or humecto or NTM or something. But don't expect smooth hair immediately after using this trtmnt...maybe after 1 or 2 more moisturizing deep conds, then my hair turns back smooth.

Sistaslick actully did this on another website that I stalk from time to time it is from her Hair Breakage and Shedding 101. Sistaslick I want to buy you book whenever you finish it. :D

Types of Protein Products:

Specialty Treatments

Nexxus Emergencee (moderate)
Nexxus Keraphix (moderate)
Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Recon. (mild/moderate)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair (heavy)
LeKair Cholesterol (mild/moderate)
Dudley’s DRC
Motions CPR(mild/moderate)
ORS Mayo (moderate)
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair
KeraCare 5 n 1
Joico K-Pac (mild)
Elasta Qp Anti Breakage serum

Protein Conditioners
Motions Moisture Silk Protein conditioner
Mane N Tail (shampoo)
Aubrey Organics GPB
Mane N tail (moderate/heavy)
Garnier Fructis Long N Strong (mild)
Any Instant Conditioner like Suave and V05 (light/mild)
Got2B Soft 1 Minute Emergency (light/mild)
Rusk Sensories 60 second Revive
ORS replenishing pak (light/mild)

Protein Moisturizers
Cantu Shea Butter Break Cure
Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Profectiv Mega Growth and Healthy Ends

Protein Leave Ins:
Infusium 23
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In
Salerm 21(moisture w/ protein)
Nexxus Headress (moisture w/protein)
Mane N Tail (Conditioner can also be used as leave in)
Profectiv Break Free Leave In

Types of Moisturizing Products:

*Note* Some of the products listed as moisturizing do contain small amounts of protein—but in my opinion, their moisturizing abilities override any protein overuse concerns.

Moisture-Based Conditioners
Crème of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner
Nexxus Humectress
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Dove Intense Moisture
Neutragena Triple Moisture Daily Conditioner
Neutragena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask???
Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner
Keracare Humecto
Mizani Moisturefuse
AtOne Botanicals Reconstructor w/ Moisture Recovery

Moisture-Based Moisturizers
ORS olive oil
ORS carrot oil
S-Curl
StaSoFro
Hollywood Beauty Carrot and Olive Oil
Most Braid Sprays
*moisturizing leave ins can be used as waterbased moisturizers- especially crème based ones)

Moisturizing Leave Ins:
Neutragena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in
Profectiv Anti-Tangle Leave In

Thanx ladies, I would have replied earlier but right now I only have access to the computer around my class schedule. But I did look at the ingredients in Mane & Tail and it does contain milk protein. So I'll just condition with my KeraCare Humecto. The only moisturizing poo I have right now is Pantene for women of color which claims to be ultra moisturizing. If that isn't good enough, does anyone have any suggestions for others? By the way, the Aphogee treatment like immediately slowed my breakage down cuz I usually have tons of hair on my back but now there's none!:yay: :grin:

Back