Did anyone think they were a 4, then discover they were a 3 after transitioning?....

Solitude

or vice versa - maybe you thought your were 3, then discovered that you were a 4?

If so, please share your experience!

ETA: This is actually an open thread to all hair types, didn't mean to leave out 2's and even 1's if there are any.

Re: Did anyone think they were a 4, then discover they were a 3 after transitioning?.

Nope. First time being natural since I was a little girl but I could tell from my NG (before I chopped) that I was a 4a/b.

and just curious... why do you ask?

Re: Did anyone think they were a 4, then discover they were a 3 after transitioning?.

Nope. First time being natural since I was a little girl but I could tell from my NG (before I chopped) that I was a 4a/b.

and just curious... why do you ask?

Thanks for answering! I asked for a few different reasons....

1. One, because I am relaxed and people always say you can't tell your hair type based on your new growth, and I'm not sure if I agree with that.

2. I was thinking about how some of use had puffy very kinky hair as children, so we assume we are 4's, but with proper hair care, one may have a more defined texture.

3. I have a hard time distinguishing between coarse vs. soft hair, kinky vs. curly, curly v. nappy, nappy v. coily, and so on....there seem to be too many ways to define hair to "hair type" correctly without considering all the different factors.

4. I'm wondering does the amount of heat needed to straighten one's hair correlate to hair type or coarseness?

I don't know, it just seems like the majority of people claim to be a 4a/b and I'm wondering if that's true or are a lot of us who are relaxed unsure.....a lot of the women in my family are 3's.

I hope all of this makes sense.

Very interesting... I was asking myself a similar question. Remembering back to when I was kid and having "unruly hair". Even though I am texlaxed my new growth has become extremely manageable since finding the right products and regimen. My hair has been relaxed on and off since I was about 8 or 9. So I haven't seen my entire head as a natural in quite sometime. I have been debating on when i'm going to begin my natural journey. Just to see what my hair looks like when 100% natural.

I'm kinda sorta transitioning. I haven't committed to it 100%. But from the new growth I do have, it's really hard for me tell what my hair type will be. I know I have a natural curl pattern so 4b/4c is out of the question. But the 4a hair I think I have does not act or look like the 4a's I've seen on others. I truly believe there is a hair type between 3c and 4a. I'm anxious to see what it will be after my transition!

I hope some other ladies comment :yep:

I'm kinda sorta transitioning. I haven't committed to it 100%. But from the new growth I do have, it's really hard for me tell what my hair type will be. I know I have a natural curl pattern so 4b/4c is out of the question. But the 4a hair I think I have does not act or look like the 4a's I've seen on others. I truly believe there is a hair type between 3c and 4a. I'm anxious to see what it will be after my transition!

Exactly! I've been thinking the same thing....there's a wide variety of "4a" on youtube. A lot of people just say 3c/4a because their hair doesn't seem to fit into either hair category.

I don't know - my hair is not coarse - at all. Never has been. Is "coarseness" required for type 4 hair? I'm confused.

when i was younger my hair was very dry and poofy so i thought i might be a 3c/4a mix. but once i got my moisture game up i realized i was not.

actually i've been claiming 3b and now i'm even wondering if i may possibly by a 3a or if its heat damage lmao i'm no longer sure! i just know my hair wont do what i want it to do *ggrrr*

Yea, I think a good example of this is Janet Jackson's hair. In that thread, she clearly looks like a 3c, but people are convinced that since her hair was more coarse as a child, then that means that she texlaxes.

I've seen pics of my hair as a child, and people would assume that I was probably a 4b because my 'curls/coils' were NEVER defined back then. If you look at my hair now, it could look like a 3c or 4a depending on what products I use or how I manipulate my hair. It's vastly different than what you see in my kiddie pics.

I thought I was a full 4b when transitioning because of scab hair and not letting it get moisture enough. After it was all natural and I started moisturizing and using the denman I realized I had a good amount of 3c and still some 4a. It just depends on the care for me.

I found this in the archive.

Hair texture http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/Comb.JPG

Texture is a matter of each hair's width.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.co...text&ref=http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search%3 Fp%3Dcoarse%2520hair&u_h=600&u_w=800&u_ah=566&u_aw=800&u_cd=32&u_tz=-300&u_his=16&u_java=true
Fine

Fine hair is very, very small in diameter, and tends to be weightless and flyaway. Frequently, it's quite straight and won't hold a curl easily.

Click on the name to see a picture of celebrities with fine textured hair:

Juliette Binoche (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/binoche.jpg) Ashley Judd (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/judd.jpg) Uma Thurman (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/thurman.jpg) Gwyneth Paltrow (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/paltrow.jpg) Sharon Stone (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/stone.jpg) Isabella Rosellini (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/IRossellini.gif) Tyra Banks (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/TyraBanks.jpg)

Medium

If your hair is not flyaway or thick and coarse, it is medium. You should consider yourself lucky, as your hair texture is the most common and most manageable.

Click on the name to see a picture of celebrities with medium textured hair:

Claudia Schiffer (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/schiffer.jpg) Mariah Carey (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/mariahnever4.jpg) Janet Jackson (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/janetjackson.jpg)

Coarse

Coarse hair has a thick diameter and frequently, a rough feeling.

Click on the name to see a picture of celebrities with coarse textured hair:

Helena Christensen (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/helena.jpg) Stephanie Seymour (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/seymour.jpg) Helena Bonham Carter (http://www.visual-makeover.com/images/celebs/BonhamCarter.jpg)

Exactly! I've been thinking the same thing....there's a wide variety of "4a" on youtube. A lot of people just say 3c/4a because their hair doesn't seem to fit into either hair category.

I don't know - my hair is not coarse - at all. Never has been. Is "coarseness" required for type 4 hair? I'm confused.

I don't think coarseness is required in order to have 4a hair. I've seen silky 4as. Doesn't it have a lot to do with the actual size of the curls?

totally stalking ur fotki lol

Yea, I think a good example of this is Janet Jackson's hair. In that thread, she clearly looks like a 3c, but people are convinced that since her hair was more coarse as a child, then that means that she texlaxes.

I've seen pics of my hair as a child, and people would assume that I was probably a 4b because my 'curls/coils' were NEVER defined back then. If you look at my hair now, it could look like a 3c or 4a depending on what products I use or how I manipulate my hair. It's vastly different than what you see in my kiddie pics.

I don't think coarseness is required in order to have 4a hair. I've seen silky 4as. Doesn't it have a lot to do with the actual size of the curls?

I think it's more of the size of the strand? When people say they have fine hair it's thinner than those who claim to have coarse strands. I think :perplexed:

Yes, that's my impression. But, then people were saying that, for example, a true 4b does not have a curl pattern....:ohwell:. I really have no idea.

i agree with this. i've seen very coarse 2's and 3's and very fine 4's

i think i'm in the middle. my hair can get coarse with weather changes. but it seems to be in the middle of the road

I think it's more of the size of the strand? When people say they have fine hair it's thinner than those who claim to have coarse strands. I think :perplexed:

Hmm...I when I think fine/thick, I think density, like the actual number of hairs on one's head. That's why I never get the "thickness" challenges, but I could be wrong.

I always figured 3c/4a meant your hair was a mixture of both, meaning some areas are 3c and some areas are 4a. Now I'm thinking it might just be hair that fits in between.

Most of my new growth acts like this and she claims 3c/4a
My%20Texture%20unhandled.png

as opposed to this (a true 4a)
jgp35y.jpg

^^^^^ I see! Pics help a lot

Hmm...I when I think fine/thick, I think density, like the actual number of hairs on one's head. That's why I never get the "thickness" challenges, but I could be wrong.

When I think of fine vs medium vs coarse it reminds me of the LOIS hair type system.

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

So would thick=coarse?

Are you saying that thin strands = 3c and thick strands = 4a?

This is really confusing. lol I have thin strands, but lots of them-- pretty dense, so in essence, it looks like I have thick hair.

When I think of fine vs medium vs coarse it reminds me of the LOIS hair type system.

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

So would thick=coarse?

I read about this system and looked it up once, but I couldn't actually take the test due to my hair being processed.

It seems like a much more accurate way to type hair Afro-Textured hair.

Nope. I think you're absolutely correct. My hair is not thick at all. The strands are thin, but I have so many that it seems like I have thick hair.

Are you saying that thin strands = 3c and thick strands = 4a?

This is really confusing. lol I have thin strands, but lots of them-- pretty dense, so in essence, it looks like I have thick hair.

I'm confusing myself too but it seems like the looser hair types have fine strands and the tighter types have thicker/dryer strands. :spinning:

When I look at my hair, the strands that are fine have bigger curls than the strands that are thicker, most of my thick strands are really tightly coiled and are smaller than the size of a pen spring. I have no clue what would be the exact definition of coarse hair so I just keep it at 3c/4a/4b.

Last edited:

I have curls about the size of a coffee stir straw some maybe a little bigger, some strands don't curl and more zag.
My strands are thin, smaller than thread but there are millions per inch!
My hair does not reflect light in its natural state, at all. (shiny as 'ell with heat).
My hair loves heat and is very strong.
It is normally soft not coarse but feels like wool, tight curls.
When it is dry it is hard and coarse and bristly.
I have no idea what # or letter I am. I say 4? If anyone does know please tell me.

I agree!!!!!

This thread is interesting!

I always thought I had the coarse-ist thickist hair because that's what I was told growing up. My first relaxer was given when I was 9 yrs old. I am so happy with my texture now that I know I actually have a natural curl pattern!

Since finding hair boards and starting my HHJ, I list myself at 4A but I was never positive that I may have some (or a lot of 3c) mixed in. I sometimes felt that people were so desperate to be 3-anything but that 4a actually has a nice curl pattern.

But a type btwn 3c and 4a sounds right to me. Sometimes my hair is like 4a s-curls and sometimes its more like corkscrew 3c. It is always fine-strand and fragile but there's loads of it so I thought it was "thick".

None of the hair type systems seem to point my hair. Finding my products and routine is mostly trial and error.

This thread is interesting!

I always thought I had the coarse-ist thickist hair because that's what I was told growing up. My first relaxer was given when I was 9 yrs old. I am so happy with my texture now that I know I actually have a natural curl pattern!

Since finding hair boards and starting my HHJ, I list myself at 4A but I was never positive that I may have some (or a lot of 3c) mixed in. I sometimes felt that people were so desperate to be 3-anything but that 4a actually has a nice curl pattern.

But a type btwn 3c and 4a sounds right to me. Sometimes my hair is like 4a s-curls and sometimes its more like corkscrew 3c. It is always fine-strand and fragile but there's loads of it so I thought it was "thick".

None of the hair type systems seem to point my hair. Finding my products and routine is mostly trial and error.

Thank you for your response.

Yes! I hear people say things like "our hair is the coarsest" only my hair is not coarse. It's soft and straightens easily. Reading the definition another poster posted, I think my hair would be "medium."

Growing up, people said I had thick hair and they say my sister has thick hair as well, only my sister's hair is THICK - there was a clear difference in hers and mine and now I think her hair is a coarse type 4, but now that she is conditioning her hair really well, it's just as manageable as mine.

The bolded is why I realized I might not get a lot of responses. There's a kind of taboo about claiming 3-something when you may actually be 4-something or vice versa. It is confusing and I guess that's why some choose not to "type" at all. Some people may be reading this thread wondering if I'm trying to make more 4's into 3's so I can be a three or something like that. :look: I would have to transition to truly determine my hair type, I guess - so that's not my reasoning.

For those wondering what does this have to do with hair types 1-4, I'm beginning to think this is part of the confusion when someone says "she is not a true type ____." There are other factors besides curl diameter that determine how someone's hair looks and behaves.

Last edited:

Yes! I thought I was a 3c until I started paying attention to my hair care. Once I started taking serious care and paying attention to my hair, I noticed that my hair started "changing". Now my hair is 3a/b. I think I was suffering from a serious case of bone dry, abused hair that mimiced 3c texture. My curls were tighter and "rougher" (make sense?). As my moisture level increased my curls got looser and smoother. My mother told me the other day that my hair was returning back to the texture I had when I was younger, and pulled out pictures to prove it. I guess I did a lot of damage to it over the years.

my hair is pretty thick and pretty coarse and i've got tiny coils all over my head.
the only place they aren't super tight is at my nape and that's from years of beginning my relaxers there.
i call myself a 4b.

i think that the hair typing system doesn't take coarseness or thickness into consideration.
it's just based on curl/coil size.
or at least that's my understanding of it.
correct me if i'm wrong.

With me it was the other way around.
I was expecting 4a but I am a 3b-c mix.
I was disappointed because my fro was limp and wouldn't stand up..lol

Back