Did anyone think they were a 4, then discover they were a 3 after transitioning?....

Re: Did anyone think they were a 4, then discover they were a 3 after transitioning?.

OP, are you thinking about transitioning?

The only thing I will add is that I had a feeling I was a 3c, but what I didn't know when I was transitioning was that some parts of my hair would be silky, other parts dry & coarse. I knew about shrinkage but I never thought my hair would have different hair types on one noggin.

I can manipulate my hair to look anywhere from 3b to 4b depending on what I do to it.

Re: Did anyone think they were a 4, then discover they were a 3 after transitioning?.

Actually, this tends not to be the case, hence the reason why so many 4a/b hair types suffer from breakage. I have seen very few 4a/bs with coarse, thick stranded hair. Most of the time, they are fine or medium but with densely packed strands (which implies that they have more hair follicles). Likewise, there are type 3s like Lynnieb and EmpressRi who have very thick individuals strands of hair with high density, making their hair appear even thicker than average. This breakdown may help to explain things a bit:

I agree with the bolded.

It's easy to confuse tight curls with coarseness, since these terms are often used with different meanings.

My hair has very thick strands - the individual strands are visible even when you stand quite far away from me. My hair is in the 3 range.

Regarding new growth, for most 3:s, their new growth lies straight, not wavy or curly. At least that's how it was for me.

And just like BostonMaria, I can make my hair look like anything from a 1 to a 4 in under 1 hour! :lachen: Well, more or less.

I think the whole coarse vs silky with the same type was demonstrated here: (not sure if I can quote their pics) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=454438&page=3 Post #58.
This hair typing thing confuses me, I thought I understood it when I first discovered hair boards but every couple of weeks one of these threads pops up, then people take out their macro cameras and start popping pens open to demonstrate coil size, then we bring in density, thickness, fine, coarse, silky, ...:spinning: Then someone threatens Andre for over simplifying our hair, and most ladies finally conclude that it's just confusing and not worth using... At least that's my take on hair typing :lachen:

Last edited:

nope but I did think that were only two types, afro- 4s and coolie -3s.

I'm late on this thread but just wanted to add my pennies worth.

I am the exact same way. I don't even try to predict anymore, I just go with the flow :lol: . When I was relaxed, I had no visible new growth in the front and sides of my hair (which are ~ 3a/b). Which is probably why I stretched for so long, but I used to think my hair just wasn't growing in those places. Only the back had a definitive wave pattern, but it wasn't unruly or anything. After a while, I didn't see the point of relaxing when I only did it every 9-12 months :ohwell:.

I agree with the bolded.

It's easy to confuse tight curls with coarseness, since these terms are often used with different meanings.

My hair has very thick strands - the individual strands are visible even when you stand quite far away from me. My hair is in the 3 range.

Regarding new growth, for most 3:s, their new growth lies straight, not wavy or curly. At least that's how it was for me.

And just like BostonMaria, I can make my hair look like anything from a 1 to a 4 in under 1 hour! :lachen: Well, more or less.

Last edited:

I always figured 3c/4a meant your hair was a mixture of both, meaning some areas are 3c and some areas are 4a. Now I'm thinking it might just be hair that fits in between.

Most of my new growth acts like this and she claims 3c/4a
My%20Texture%20unhandled.png

as opposed to this (a true 4a)
jgp35y.jpg

My hair is kinda like the first picture on the top of my head, but the curls are more like waves on the very top, and vary around the crown and the sides. The wavy part isn't really big waves, so I guessed that was 3c, and it varies around my head to the tiny tiny coils at the very front that just about have a curl pattern- tiny frizzy 4a coils.
It didn't really change during my transition/BC. I think...

I certainly respect your opinion. I've only been on LHCF since 2008, but I've lurked on hair boards since 2005 and I've seen the dominant opinions take over a board. Thankfully, I'm not that susceptible to other people's opinions. I take in information and filter it.

I've also noticed how comments have gotten jazzier since LHCF added the "thank you" button. Not aimed at you, but there are a lot of "reachers" who come into a thread just to garner thanks with jazzy comments that don't add anything to a discussion.

BTW, like I said earlier I know I have "good hair." It's healthy, growing and retaining, and very easy to manage. It doesn't matter if I'm 4b or 2c. Nobody in real life is looking at my hair type. When I log off, I don't even think about this anymore. :look:

Hey, I wasn't trying to push any buttons, "Thanks" or otherwise. I just wanted to point out that your statement wasn't necessarily true based on my decade of lurking on sites like LHCF, NappyHair (which I think is no longer functioning), and Nappturality. I'm on my 11th nappiversary so I'm definitely over these weird texture debates. I got what I got. Now what I WANT is 7" so I can hit my goal length! :grin:

I was one of the people that said she likely texlaxes, why? because her hair seems markedly different in smoothness shine and texture now, and she has altered many other facets of her body so its not much of a stretch to think she'd do the same with her hair:look:

I've been through several albums in your gloriously extensive fotki.....so many awesome albums in there btw! and I can say with certainty....you always look to be at the very most a 3c....your hair never looks type 4....never lol

Sometimes you can't accurately tell someone's hair type when their hair is just dry and frizzy alot of times I'll ask for dry hair and wet naked hair pix and even how it looks unmanipulated with product helps it gives the best indication of what someone's hair type is.

Most hair typing systems refer exclusively to curl diamater, its not about porosity, its not about coarseness, its not about nuance, its all about curl diameter. I find hair typing to be very straightforward, easy to understand and helpful.

There are some that are a mixture and there are some that are a bit more ambiguous but I think those that don't fall into the larger categories are the exception to the rule and people seem to wanna put a lazer focus on those individuals. I'm able to immediately type 98% of the heads I encounter, on LHCF, YouTube or Fotki......its a very simple straightforward system that I see many posters complicate imo.....there are also many posters that refuse to accept that they are the type they are as well which presents some problems lol

Well, sheesh! Can I send you a pic of my hair as soon I get my new camera so you can tell me what hair type I am?! I am dying to know:lachen:

i didn't think anything about hair type when i transitioned because i already knew i'd be 4a. the first time i bc'd though, i just thought i'd have nappy hair (which was an unknown hair type to me then, since i live in the South and never see 4 hair natural).

anyway, i do agree that there is a hair type in between 3c and 4a. ♥

What do you ladies think my hair type is?? I am transitioning (no big chop) and I have no idea... :nono:

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 26

OP, are you thinking about transitioning?

The only thing I will add is that I had a feeling I was a 3c, but what I didn't know when I was transitioning was that some parts of my hair would be silky, other parts dry & coarse. I knew about shrinkage but I never thought my hair would have different hair types on one noggin.

I can manipulate my hair to look anywhere from 3b to 4b depending on what I do to it.

Yes, I am. I've decided to go ahead and do a long term transition. I've been stretching for 4-6 months, so I think I'm ready to do it.

I am curious about my hair type, but I don't want people to think I'm dying for a looser texture. I guess that's the way it came off.

Hey, I wasn't trying to push any buttons, "Thanks" or otherwise. I just wanted to point out that your statement wasn't necessarily true based on my decade of lurking on sites like LHCF, NappyHair (which I think is no longer functioning), and Nappturality. I'm on my 11th nappiversary so I'm definitely over these weird texture debates. I got what I got. Now what I WANT is 7" so I can hit my goal length! :grin:

I know, I was probably getting too easily offended. When I get like that, I know it's time to log off! I haven't been on the sites as long as some people, so I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Congrats on your 11th Nappiversary! I PM'd you.

Last edited:

Well, sheesh! Can I send you a pic of my hair as soon I get my new camera so you can tell me what hair type I am?! I am dying to know:lachen:
Absolutely, feel free to PM me, try to take clear pics please.

What do you ladies think my hair type is?? I am transitioning (no big chop) and I have no idea... :nono:
Its a little tough to tell from those pics but I would say you're most likely a 3c, possibly a little 4a in the mix as well.:yep:

To answer the question, no. What did surprise me was I have 3 distinct different hair types which are very noticeable when as a natural I'd try to wear my hair out.

I was thinking I was more of a 4b or 4c but the deeper I get into my stretch, I realize I am more of a 4a.

I didn't think i'd have coils or if i did i thought they'd be so tiny you couldn't see so i guess i thought i was a solid 4b/c like my mum and sisters. After transitioning for several months I saw coils and curls of varying sizes so maybe abit of 4a. I haven't finished transitioning but I'm pretty certain i'm in the 4 range.

The size of my coils and their definition ranges sooo much depending on how close to wash day it is so it's hard to decide on a letter.

First i want to say that i don´t know anything about hait typing xD but i was confuse (still am) on how my hair is going to behave when longer. I did not transitioned and my hair did not have any curl definition, so i assume my hair wont be curly defined, now as my hair grows longer it has a little curl definition poping in some places. Even i dont know what hair type i am, i know i have different textures all over my hair and is not what i felt when i was relaxed.

Isn't 3/c or the "c" pattern the unofficially created category to explain the unexplained pattern between 3/b 4/a?

Isn't 3/c or the "c" pattern the unofficially created category to explain the unexplained pattern between 3/b 4/a?

It is technically, but just one category in between is not enough. When I was referencing Ediese's hair, I stated that the one thing it lacks is shine. The curls look and acted like 3c curls but the actual texture mimicked 4a. Most people that are true 3c's have a natural shine while ladies in the 4's do not. 3c does not account for that difference. So for me, it's hard to categorize my hair type because it doesn't have the natural shine of 3c nor does it have the tighter curls of 4a.

I know, I was probably getting too easily offended. When I get like that, I know it's time to log off! I haven't been on the sites as long as some people, so I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Congrats on your 11th Nappiversary! I PM'd you.

Thank you! I can't believe it's been that long. Am I an Old Head now? :drunk:

It's more likely that you and Ediese are thready/cottony type 3c's or 3c/4a blend rather than a whole other hair type. Your strand size should also be taken into account as well, which can affect the behavior and appearance of your hair.

It is technically, but just one category in between is not enough. When I was referencing Ediese's hair, I stated that the one thing it lacks is shine. The curls look and acted like 3c curls but the actual texture mimicked 4a. Most people that are true 3c's have a natural shine while ladies in the 4's do not. 3c does not account for that difference. So for me, it's hard to categorize my hair type because it doesn't have the natural shine of 3c nor does it have the tighter curls of 4a.

When I was transitioning I knew I had a type 4 curl pattern, and by the coils I figured I was a 4a with probably some 4b. Heck, I knew I had a type 4 curl pattern before I ever knew about hair typing and even though I had been relaxed for 25 years! I didn't think I had one strand of hair that would be considered type 3.:lachen: So I was surprised a couple of weeks before I decided to BC to discover looser curls at my nape that were the size of a small sharpie. Once I BC'd I discovered that I do have type 3 curls in my nape, over my ears, parts of my crown, and a patch in the center front of my hair. Who knew? I'm hard pressed to find any 4b sections so far. I also thought that my edges were rough and a different texture than the rest of my hair but wasn't sure what, but after BCing I realized that my edges are a bit finer than the my other strands and they actually lay a lot easier now than when I was relaxed or transitioning.

I also have to agree with the OP about hair typing. In my siggie I give a description of my hair type, which to me encompasses the size of my curls, the texture of my hair, the size of my individual strands, the density of my hair, and the porosity (I haven't figured that one out since I've been natural). Whether or not I have a visible curl pattern and the size of those curls do not make up the whole of my hair. As a matter of fact, when I was transitioning and trying to find a gel that would smooth back my edges and keep them all day, I had tons of suggestions, from conditioner to castor oil to IC Fantasia gel. These suggestions came from ladies with both type 3 and type 4 hair but none of these suggestions worked for me. It wasn't until I tried Ecostyler gel that I found something that would work. Ecostyler is heavy and therefore able to control my medium/thick strands. Light products do not work, my strands laugh at them. But fine-haired ladies, regardless of their curl pattern, are able to use lighter products with ease. So following the regimen for another lady with type 4 hair is useless for me unless I know the thickness of her strands, her texture, and density. These are way better markers IMO. With all due respect, someone may be able to look at the size of my curls and accurately predict my curl pattern, but they cannot look at my hair and tell me my complete hair profile/type.

ngl I was hoping for 4a when I transitioned. I had a lot of pretty coilies and I thought "yay i'll be able to have coils, and do that whole kinky curly kimmaytube looking shingling thing' :rolleyes:

then I bc'd and my mostly 4b with like the nape being 4a type hair said 'say what, gtfo with that gel mess'

I followed so many people's fotki's fooling myself that I had hair like theirs when I knew damn well they were a silkier texture.

Now I sort of go to the extreme in the opposite direction, if you've got easily visible curls I'm not listening to you, it'll just lead to pain in the long run when I try some cute style that you've got going on and it looks a HAM:lachen: i browse 4b fotkis or bust

I don't mind that my hair is coarser, I just want more of it :drunk:

It's more likely that you and Ediese are thready/cottony type 3c's or 3c/4a blend rather than a whole other hair type. Your strand size should also be taken into account as well, which can affect the behavior and appearance of your hair.

I'll just be "unknown" for now because I don't want to claim something I'm definitely not :lachen: I believe deep down in my heart I'm not 3c, but I don't have a lot of 4a hair sisters so I guess we'll see!

nope but I did think that were only two types, afro- 4s and coolie -3s.

I'm late on this thread but just wanted to add my pennies worth.

I really thought about this before I replied, so please don't take this the wrong way - it is not my intention to "start something". Just a simple request, please don't use the word "coolie". For those of us who are Douglas, this is very derogatory - right up there with the "N" word. I can only assume that you are unaware of this and used the term unknowingly. That being the case, no hard feelings.

OP, no hijack intended.

I used to have an article that talked about this...more specifically the difference in cottony, wirey, silky, satiny, thready, etc.. hair. There is a whole subtype that works off of the apperance and behavior of hair outside of the curl pattern but it isn't talked about much here. If I find it, I will post it.

I notice more people being corrected for claiming type 4 and people saying they are a 3 than the other way around.

This is too much. Hair types are on a continuum.

I :lachen: when people think they can make definitive "calls" on hair types when it's ambiguous to everyone else.

Back