Did Anyone Get Married & Purchase A House At The Same Time?

FemmeFatale

And to be more specific, had a mid sized wedding and was able to move into their new home right after.

How was the experience? What tips would you give to a couple looking to make that move?

And to be more specific, had a mid sized wedding and was able to move into their new home right after.

How was the experience? What tips would you give to a couple looking to make that move?

We bought a house in January and got married in March.
Plan. Don't put anything on credit if possible. Don't try to plan an outlandish wedding. We put stuff on credit because we intended to pay it completely off when tax time came around the next year, but by that time we had new bills and we weren't able to COMPLETELY pay it off so beware. I would see what I was able to get from tax refunds, bonuses for work, school refund checks, and etc and plan around that.

Your house won't be completely furnished and that's okay. You will get plenty from gifts from the wedding. We were able to buy a new living room set that way. We had all our old apartment furniture for a lil while after moving into the house. Piece by Piece we craigslisted and Miskelly'ed our way to new stuff.

We bought a house in January and got married in March.
Plan. Don't put anything on credit if possible. Don't try to plan an outlandish wedding. We put stuff on credit because we intended to pay it completely off when tax time came around the next year, but by that time we had new bills and we weren't able to COMPLETELY pay it off so beware. I would see what I was able to get from tax refunds, bonuses for work, school refund checks, and etc and plan around that.

Your house won't be completely furnished and that's okay. You will get plenty from gifts from the wedding. We were able to buy a new living room set that way. We had all our old apartment furniture for a lil while after moving into the house. Piece by Piece we craigslisted and Miskelly'ed our way to new stuff.

Thanks for sharing, did you get anything remodeled in the house before moving in?

Thanks for sharing, did you get anything remodeled in the house before moving in?
Nope. We started remodeling a year after to keep the costs of the house down. And we got people we know to do the remodeling. We did very little though. Installed ceiling fans in all rooms, led spot lights in dining living and master. Thick Crown molding in master and kitchen, changed car port to a garage, ceramic tile in kitchen and bathroom, and installed new kitchen countertops. I did it lil not by lil. Every few months I did something new. When I look at he before and after pics I'm like dang.

closed on our townhome a month before the wedding....my lease was up on a thursday or friday and we closed on a monday... so i had to pack and move in 3 days. fun times.

it was stressful but possible. i didn't put anything on my credit during the process. i actually remember ordering favors and boxes in the living room of our unfurnished living room the week we closed b/c i could use my credit care freely. :lol: i think anything else i purchased i used cash.

Does buying and renovating investment property count while wedding planning?

All I can say is it's stressful. Paying cash for the wedding helped stay within budget and keeps your credit report clear for the mortgage application process. Back then no down payments were required so the only issues for the real estate were closing costs, mortgage payments and renovating (no tenants yet). It's a very different financial market now.

I'd suggest closing on the house before the wedding. That way it's easier to shift money from wedding to house.
You can always cut items from the wedding but you will need money for closing and renovations.

Got in engaged in October - started the construction of our house in May (in another state) Closed in August and got married in October (in our home state).
Paid for our wedding in cash because we wanted no debt (although we started saving for wedding the minute we got engaged). Had our downpayment together for house and bought new 95% new furniture/stuff for our home -with cash. It was probably one of the most stressful times in our lives but it is doable because my husband is still alive. Lol.

Back