Deva Cut By A White Woman??

GettingKinky

All the Deva certified stylists in my area are white women. I’m nervous that they won’t understand my 4a hair. Has anyone here gotten their hair cut by a white woman?

I only got a trim at the location in Culver City years ago but when I tell you them white girls finger detangled every strand of hair on my head. That was the first and only time in my natural hair life that I could run my fingers through this bush on my head without hitting a tangle. If it wasn't such a pain to park, I would go have them wash my hair every week.

Yes I have. My favorite hair cut was done by a white deva cut stylist. She was very patient and showed me exactly where and how much she was going to cut before cutting. I'm sure it's on a case by case basis, but I had great experience. In fact, every trim/hair cut I've ever liked was done by a white stylist.

@Crackers Phinn, do you remember the name of the salon or stylist who did your hair in Culver City?

Yes I have. My favorite hair cut was done by a white deva cut stylist. She was very patient and showed me exactly where and how much she was going to cut before cutting. I'm sure it's on a case by case basis, but I had great experience. In fact, every trim/hair cut I've ever liked was done by a white stylist.

@Crackers Phinn, do you remember the name of the salon or stylist who did your hair in Culver City?
It was a Devachan chain salon. I yelped it and it closed in 2017.

Thanks Ladies. You are making me less nervous. I’m going to call the Deva salon and make an appointment. If she can cover my grays too, it might be the end for my normal stylist. I’ve been going to her for years (at least 15 ), but she’s far away and doesn’t style natural hair.

Last edited:
Not going to front some white people know how to touch black hair. I got to a white hair salon to get my hair trimmed and they do it just the amount that I want. I’m actually considering allowing them to just do my hair since I’m relaxed.

I have had the same experience when I was relaxed. Her name was Sarai and she was awesome.

Not going to front some white people know how to touch black hair. I got to a white hair salon to get my hair trimmed and they do it just the amount that I want. I’m actually considering allowing them to just do my hair since I’m relaxed.

I would feel less nervous if I were relaxed, but I want to get a good curly cut.

The salon I go to is owned by a white man. A bald one at that. They only cut hair in its curly state. Only reason I don't go to him specifically is because he was booked when I wanted to go and I've built a relationship now with the girl I booked with instead. However I'd let him do my hair if there ever came a time. He's good.

I think that most Deva trained stylists (and maybe Ouidad trained stylists too) learn on different hair types. The stylists at the Deva inspired salon I go to cut all hair types really well (my stylist happens to be a black woman, but all the stylists seem to be really good at cuts and trims).

Back