Detangling with conditioner under running water

anon123

Okay, I've seen people say they detangle their hair while it's coated with conditioner under the running water of the shower. I can't understand how this works. As soon as I put my hair under the running water of the shower, all the condtioner is rinsed off. So I have the option of detangling with conditioner or detangling under the shower water, but not both. What am I missing?

Erm. I had the same issue. All the conditioner and slip was gone before I was done detangling.

Lys

I should also add that the water was making it tangle more. I was going from tip to root, but as I would move up, the ends would tangle back up. As you can guess, I only tried this once.

Lys

When I do this, the conditioner has soaked in and my hair is flat to my head with water and conditioner. Then I lean under the water and it helps kind of rinse out some of the tangles as I am combing. I use a lot of conditioner and can usually do half of my hair at a time if my hair has been loose or in a puff all week. If I have worn twists I must do an extra detangling session before I get in the shower.

i admit that this technique never worked for me either :look:. Besides the waste of soooooo much water, the conditioner, my eczema and dry skin issues got totally out of control.

Oh yea did i mention that the hot water would usually run out by the time i was done detangling :ohwell:?

i'm better off detangling out of the shower.

I detangle with a ton of conditioner on my head and then as I am rising the conditioner out of my hair, I am combing it further. But I admit, I really only do that if I am going to band my hair. If I am going to wear it loose, I just rinse the conditioner out of my hair without the additional combing.
Maybe this will change when my hair grows some more.

Hmmm, for those of you who had problems doing this, I've had all the same problems you mention. Tangling back up at the ends, water being cold by the time I'm done, feeling bad about wasting so much water, etc. For those of you who this works for, as you are combing your hair out under the water, how long does that take you? So are you combing that section for 5 seconds, or 5 minutes?

http://biracialhair.org/Curly%20primer.html

I hope this helps.

Hmmm, for those of you who had problems doing this, I've had all the same problems you mention. Tangling back up at the ends, water being cold by the time I'm done, feeling bad about wasting so much water, etc. For those of you who this works for, as you are combing your hair out under the water, how long does that take you? So are you combing that section for 5 seconds, or 5 minutes?

After my hair is coated with conditioner and sectioned, I undo one section, and hold it under warm water for about 5-10 seconds. I also wet my D4, then I start detangling. Usually that's enough water to help the conditioner provide enough slip to detangle. If my hair is super tangled (not happening so much when I started using yogurt in my DC) then I will hold the section under the water longer while I detangle. I use a lot of thick condish, so it's going to take more than 30-45 seconds of warm water to rinse it all out. I don't let all the conditioner rinse out of my hair before I start detangling.

Okay, I've seen people say they detangle their hair while it's coated with conditioner under the running water of the shower. I can't understand how this works. As soon as I put my hair under the running water of the shower, all the condtioner is rinsed off. So I have the option of detangling with conditioner or detangling under the shower water, but not both. What am I missing?
Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for asking this question. I thought I was LHCF challenged because I could not get this concept. Hell, I still can't get it. :ohwell:

For me, I only need to comb that section out for maybe a minute or two.
Most of my detangling is already done before I rinse it out while combing. It definitely helps me to do it like that and I see the difference when I go to style my hair. :yep:

Never worked for me either. Now, I load my hair w/ conditioner, then stand very close to the stream of water and continue to rewet my brush while I'm detangling, the water that is captured by the brush, makes the process easier.

http://biracialhair.org/Curly%20primer.html

I hope this helps.

She doesn't put conditioner on, then detangle under running water. She detangles on wet hair, loaded with conditioner. That's what I do.

It takes about 30mins for me to detangle my hair. I'm really not trying to spend all of that time in the shower.

Lys

I use cool water to detangle. My hair feels smoother and the hot water is not all gone when I am done so I can finish my shower after detangling. I would say it takes about 5 minutes total to detangle.

i admit thatthis technique never worked for me either :look:. Besides the waste of soooooo much water, the conditioner, my eczema and dry skin issues got totally out of control.

Oh yea did i mention that the hot water would usually run out by the time i was done detangling :ohwell:?

i'm better off detangling out of the shower.

Me too with everything :nono: And i hate being in the shower so much longer after im done with everything, it makes me rush through the process :nono:

It worked good when i first started, my hair was thin and shorter than like cheeck/chin length, plus it was relaxed bone straight---Now its much longer, really thick, and im transitoning.

So what i do is detangle my hair dry (no hair loss actually, on wet hair its messy out of the shower :perplexed), braid it up in less than 8 braids---Then after im done washing unbraiding, adding conditoner, and combing from bottom to top once under running water, then one more time from root to tip.

Much easier/simple than it sounds.

the way i do it is first add some oil to the condish that im using as a fnal rinse. I let the condish sit on my head for about 3 min, detangle from my root to halfway, i do not detangle all the way to the ends right then. then i stand under the shower and let the stream rinse the condish out of my hair and it also detangles the rest of the way, (that way im not combing my ends) then i put in ponytail while under water and pin up. I put my leave ins while my hair is still pinned

ive tried combing all the way thru while under water with condish and it pulls hair out.

. (actually i think im going to start just using one leave in or serum on wet hair untl its mostly dry then add on more) i say that because it dawned on me that when my stylist does my rollersets, she washes, dc, rinse then apply wrapping foam and roll my hair then put me under the dryer. My hair comes of straight soft ,bouncy and moist. When i add leave ins and etc when im doing it at home, my hair never looks like that.

sorry for the novel

After my hair is coated with conditioner and sectioned, I undo one section, and hold it under warm water for about 5-10 seconds. I also wet my D4, then I start detangling. Usually that's enough water to help the conditioner provide enough slip to detangle. If my hair is super tangled (not happening so much when I started using yogurt in my DC) then I will hold the section under the water longer while I detangle. I use a lot of thick condish, so it's going to take more than 30-45 seconds of warm water to rinse it all out. I don't let all the conditioner rinse out of my hair before I start detangling.

Ditto. This method works for me.
Altered a bit....
I soak my hair in conditioner, and section my hair in 4. With low running water, I start to detangle section by section. I find it easier to start with a wide tooth comb, then use the denman though.

Once water hits my hair it totally reverts into a tangled mess. :nono: So basically the whole detangle with running water thing it just not for me. The comb can only go through with tons of conditioner for slip.

I like to detangle with conditioner on dry hair, section, and then wash/rinse my hair.

I DC for a half hour then get in the shower with a cap on. When I'm ready to detangle I take the cap off and flip the water on cold while combing my hair with my jibere shower comb. The conditioner runs out but the cold water helps detangle as well. My hair gets gummy and mushy and breaks off if I detangle with just conditioner and no water...

Okay, thanks for the replies. I think the secret is that your hair has to take less time to detangle than it takes for the conditioner to be rinsed out. Since it takes 10 seconds or less for conditioner to rinse out of my hair but at least 4-5 minutes to detangle each section of my hair, I don't think I can get it to work. But I think I do get it now. Y'all must be lightening-fast detanglers!

just my 2 cents.. when i first heard about this on the board 4 years ago... it worked well for relaxed heads. the person who started the thread back then had a relaxed head. that is why i jumped all over this technique. since then this has worked like a DREAM for me.. it takes me all of 1 minute per section to detangle my hair in the shower with condish and running water. my hair use to break if i tried it any other way.. now just silky straight detangled hair once the water hits it.

FYI.. my dd is nautural and this does not work for her. I jsut use a denman and globs of condish to detangle her hair. no more tears.

hth

I can't stand being in the shower so long trying to detangle my hair.....it would irritate my skin in a terrible way:nono:.

It takes me at least 1/2 hour to detangle my hair carefully while full of conditioner in sections at a time then to twist it or pin it out the way. I would rinse it out in the shower though without combing.

Back