Den1! Get in here girl!!!

jerseyjill

Den,
Your hair is the epitom of perfect. I told you I'd be stalking you on line!
/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Anyway, Im about to correct this bad texturizer. And using your advise, Im dumping the Affirm mild fiberguard for regular Affirm mild. But here is the trick - how did you correct your texturizer. I have alot of underprocessing too. So I thought I would wash my hair and let airdry with no products. Once dry I can see the various textures in my hair, where Im underprocessed ( by the frizz content and pattern variation). Then what shall I do, just apply perm to those areas only? Section by section? Or start with the most underprocessed first and go to the least and then was out? Im worried about getting one even texture, basically. Im considering going to a beautician ( only have one who I respect as a cosmetologist - she is also a trichologist and travels around the world to conventions getting the latest in hair technology. She sent her husband to school for chemistry - so she is not playing!! BTW her name is Josefina for the NYC tristate area girls - she owns shops in the Bx as well as NJ)
Girl, help me out!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi jerseyjill,
Thank-you for the shout out, HELP I GOT A STALKER LOL.
So i understand you wish to correct a "bad texturizer" OH DEAR terrible boat to be in. I'm sure we'll get it sorted and perfect.

SELF-CORRECTIVE
First things first, you need to know what texture your after, so the number one rule is to perform an important strand test this will help you achieve the near perfect texture. click on the link myregime its in my signature. When you reach my homepage click on Strand tests this gives practical advice on how to perform them. Then click on How I texturize this will give you practical guidelines on how to apply the relaxer, (i'm also going to find and post the instructions for the Affirm relaxer).

After you've airdried YOUR hair, clip strands from the underprocessed areas, these are what you will be using to test on, since they come from areas you wish to correct with the relaxer.

OTHER TIPS
make sure you apply some form of chemical block to prevent other areas you are deciding not to process.

if you are applying relaxer also to new growth areas, you must start processing it first before you correct the old relaxed hair.

for eg, let's say IT takes five minutes to correct a section,whilst you new growth reaches the last 5 minutes for processing you apply the relaxer all the way to the ends for the five minutes. I hope i've made myself clear, tell me if i'm making sense.

(When i performed the corrective I had new growth, but chose not to relax it, because i thought it would complicate things).

to prevent underprocessing/overprocessing, its best to apply relaxer one section only, rinse, condition, neutralise. read my info on how i texturize. If your stylist is professional she should know what to do.

I'm sure curlycurly wouldn't mind you sending her a PM, she offers great advice on strand tests, she's a professional at it.

If you need any furthur clarification regarding the info i provided feel free to PM me.

Good luck!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

INSTRUCTIONS

Here is the professional user guide for the Affirm Conditioning RElaxer System with Protecto. THis is what is printed under the section "How to apply Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System."

If using Moisture Plus dry Hair & SEnsitive Scalp formula, before use, the relaxer creme must be thoroughly mixed with the liquid activator.

Step 1 Protecto Application:
Apply an amount about the size of silver dollar into palm and rub hands together. Gently work throughout entire head of hair, especially to the new growth area. Do not massage to avoid scalp irritation, Comb through gently using shampoo comb to distribute.

Step 2 Creme Relaxer Application:
Apply ample amount of relaxer to thinly-parted sections of hair using an application brush or back of a rattail comb. Begin with the back sections, working downards from the crown area. Proceed to the front sections, working from the crown forward. Apply to the hairline areas last. Avoid applying the relaxer directly to the scalp. For retouches, apply relaxer creme to new growth only. Avoid overlapping onto previously relaxed hair. After application is complete, smooth the relaxer with the back of a rattail comb, using thin partings and working in the same direction as during application. After desired straightening is achieved, rinse relaxer completely from hair with warm water.

Step 3 5 in 1 Reconstructor and/or Positive Link Application:
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor if hair is fine or limp; Positive Link if hair is medium or coarse; 5 in 1 and Positive Link, in half-and-half mixture if hair is slightly damaged. WAit five minuts and rinse hair well.

Step 4 Normalizing Shampoo:
Shampoo all areas of hair and scalp. Rinse thoroughly and repeat. (Lather will be pink if relaxer traces remain, and white when hair is completely neutralized.) Style and Finish with KeraCare maintenace items.

For Affirm Lye in Mild Formula, the timing guide on back recommends 13 minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------

HTH Den1

Back