Deep Conditioning- How much product do you use?

wednesday

This may seem like a silly question but i get the feeling i apply TOO much conditioner to my hair when i DC. I have 4c/b textured hair, the back is collar bone length and the front is about chin length so it's not very long but i go through half a tub of conditioner when i DC. I tend to completely saturate my hair with a thick conditioner like DPR11, LeKair Cholesterol or YTC moisturizing mud mask. I normally get two applications from one 15oz tub of DPR11 or 12oz tub of YTC. I'm often underwhelmed by the results i get even when i use my steamer. Am i supposed to drench my hair in conditioner when i DC????

P.s- i'm asking because i just bought some Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment and Rapid Recovery Treatment. I spent more money than i would EVER normally spend on a conditioner but i wanted to take advantage of the sale. If i use these like i normally use deep conditioner they'll be gone in a month!!:lachen:

Also- is using too much conditioner stopping me from feeling the good results?

picture.php

Last edited:
I just went to check my jar. I use the YTC Mud Mask as well. I've used this jar twice and I still have about 3/4 of it left. I am relaxed and about 2 inches from MBL. YMMV, but that looks like a lot in the pic.

Only you can assess how your hair feels. If it feels limp and mushy then yes you're probably using too much and over conditioning. If by using that amount your hair continues to feel soft and moisturised for a good amount of time post wash then that amount is right for you.

Try toning it down a bit to see if it works, at least that way you can save on product usage.

I just went to check my jar. I use the YTC Mud Mask as well. I've used this jar twice and I still have about 3/4 of it left. I am relaxed and about 2 inches from MBL. YMMV, but that looks like a lot in the pic.

lol WOW, thanks:lol:! I knew i was doing something wrong! i have always used this much conditioner but i started to notice in alot of Youtube hair videos people weren't using as much as me.:blush: Now i'm just thinking about how much conditioner i've wasted over the years:nono:. What a FAIL.

my hair looks similar to yours when i dc...white lol
Photo3186-vi.jpg

i use atleast 3 handfuls...plus i add oils and honey...but you might be doing too much if you can only get 2 uses out of 15 oz...aussie moist 3 min miracle is 8oz i think, and i can get atleast 3 uses out of it...and its cheap...if you're using the lekair, since that isnt expensive, then you could load it on but i would use it more sparingly when you use expensive products...esp miss jessies! lol

For me, a thin DC like Skala Shea Butter Masque (11oz) will get maybe three uses. A thick DC like Crece Pelo (16oz) will give me at least 6 uses if applied "relaxer" style.

I apply all my dcs relaxer style. i'm never stingy with my dc. to help stretch them i always mix with oils

I usually don't measure, but I use enough to make sure my strands are moderately covered. Now I am pretty heavy handed with the conditioner on my ends since that tends to be the driest part of my hair.

I use a lot. A jar of YTC would get me 2 uses if that. I don't feel bad though because I don't spend a lot for conditioner so I saturate my hair with no worries.

I apply all my dcs relaxer style. i'm never stingy with my dc. to help stretch them i always mix with oils

Me too. But, OP you seem to be using protein conditioners. Maybe you should switch to moisturizing conditioners...I like Silk Elements MegaSilk.

This.

It's important for me to concentrate the conditioner on the roots down to the ends so I apply like a relaxer too.

I usually use about 4-5 oz of conditioner (not including my mixed DC) per session.

vtoodler i would say maybe 2oz of oil to like 4-8oz conditioner. I mix it to a whipped consistancy. It sounds like alot but I dc on dry hair...

I deep condition for about 10 mins right after washing on soaking wet hair so 2-3 oz at a time, mainly because I put it on in 4 sections.

A lot. I don't know how much; but once I have it layered on nicely, I go back in and apply again. It feels so good and moist, I can't stop applying it (until I force myself to stop :look: ).

virtuenow said:
A lot. I don't know how much; but once I have it layered on nicely, I go back in and apply again. It feels so good and moist, I can't stop applying it (until I force myself to stop :look: ).

Me too, when it comes to conditioner, the sky is the limit

About 3 oz I deep conditioner twice a week. I dilute it with Trader Joe's nourish and spa if I didn't I would have to buy 4 bottles a month, and there aint no way.

Half a bottle seems like a lot, if you think it is try to use 1/4 a bottle and see how it goes.

I have wondered if I'm using too much as well, but my hair just needs a lot of conditioner. I'm using about 1.5-2oz on my hair. I just know when it gets really long I may have to find some cheaper conditioners because at APL I'll probably use twice as much. Glad to see I'm not the only one going through it fast.

I deep conditioned the other day with curl junkie

Deep fix I used half the tub :look: soooo um
Yeah Lool

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
Back