Deep conditioning and hair growth

tdillz

Hi everyone. I just thought of something. I've been natural for almost 3 years and I haven't been able to retain length like I would have liked to. I feel like I have a pretty decent regimen but I always forgot one crucial step! I never really was big on deep conditioning! But the more I research and really think about it that my hair may have not been getting as much moisture as much as It should and that can take a toll on not being able to retain length. So I bought the the shea moisturize deep conditioning masque and I can't wait to try it this weekend. But my question is has anyone ever experienced this before, and has deep conditioning your hair helped retain length and/or help grow your hair? I want to see how much it will affect my hair growth this year! Wish me luck!

Deep conditioning made a big difference for me. In 2013 after I started going to the Domincans for a dc and rollerset I retained several inches. In 2014 I didn't go to the salon as often and I barely dc'd. I barely retained any growth, because my hair broke snd I needed a big trim.

This year I am making sure to dc after every wash. I am also getting better about moisturizing and sealing.

The lightbulb just went off for me. I compared my last year picture to the photo I took last week after a relaxer and my hair was the exact same length. I realized that I have not done a true deep conditioning in well over a year :nono:. When I look back at the times when my hair was maintaining length it was when I was deep conditioning every week. Back on track this week :)

I DC regularly at least once a week. I've always thought I was a slow grower and I am a new natural (May 2013). I started taking pictures each month on the same day so that I could track my growth and it turns out I am not a slow grower, I'm average. If I hadn't taken the pictures I would still believe I'm a slow grower because I'm a type 4-something and my hair shrinks like crazy. Take pictures to track your progress. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I have always deep conditioned and felt like it makes a huge difference.

Over the years I find that the method and products for deep conditioning are equally importance as consistency. For example, last year I would deep condition on dry hair, then shampoo and condition rinse. I also use a conditioner that really wasn't absorbing into my hair. My hair was not as healthy as it could have been.

After finding out that I am more on the low porosity end of the spectrum, I deep condition for 30 mins with heat after I shampoo. I also try to be consistent with the type of deep conditioners I use. If a deep conditioner doesn't work, I don't force myself to use it. I also only use conditioners meant for deep conditioning as I find that I retain more moisture. It's not the end all be all, but it definitely is important.

Last edited:
DCing is an essential component of my journey with duration being a key element - in order for my hair to receive optimal benefit, I must DC for an extended period of time. For me, anything other than body heat has proven to be a non-factor and unnecessary.

I MUST DC. Pretty much every time shampoo touches my hair a DC must follow. I can get away with a mid-week, diluted shampoo wash without it. But a true, washday MUST include a DC.

I also need regular protein (i.e. once a week). I need hard protein once a month.

If I do the two above things, I retain length.

I have always deep conditioned with each wash but it wasn't until I started using protein deep conditioners of all kinds that my hair started to retain length. I am a bit different in that I do not ever use heat, using protein for 5 minutes in the shower has worked for me. I seriously just have to stay away from moisturizing DC's only. My regimen is protein, protein, protein 3 times a month and 1 moisturizing DC. Rinse and repeat. I mostly use mild proteins like Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor or Joico K Pak. Then I use a stronger protein like Nutress Treatment for Extremely Damaged hair once a month followed by Neutrogena Triple Moisture treatment in the tub. I also use that by itself once a month.

OP you may want to see if your hair prefers protein to moisture as that could be the cause for the stagnant stage of your hair.

For Me - Deep Conditioning is Essential. And with Heat. Dryer, Steamer or Heat Cap.

:yep::yep::yep: Deep conditioning to maintain moisture and protein balance is a priority of mine. I've been using my heat cap for the last two months, and I do see a difference from when I DCed with just my body heat. I have not used my steamer in a while, but the quality of the conditioning is much better than body heat only IMO.

PJaye

How long are your "Extended Deep Conditioning" Sessions?

IDareT'sHair

Depending upon the conditioner, it can range anywhere from a few hours to the following day. For me, the benefits seem to last longer using this method as opposed to DCing for 20 minutes to an hour with heat/steam. Besides, DCs cost a lot of money and I want to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of them before I rinse.:lol:

IDareT'sHair Depending upon the conditioner, it can range anywhere from a few hours to the following day. For me, the benefits seem to last longer using this method as opposed to DCing for 20 minutes to an hour with heat/steam. Besides, DCs cost a lot of money and I want to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of them before I rinse.:lol:
Consigning this. Deep conditioning has made a world of difference for my hair. I don't measure like I should but I feel like I'm retaining and my moisture levels are through the roof. My curls look better as well. I also steam for 40min and leave the conditioner on for the rest of the day - night and rinse and braid in the morning. Deep conditioners are expensive and I need the most out of every use.

I also think that Shea moisture deep conditioner is cruddy. I used it on and off for well over a year.

Depending upon the conditioner, it can range anywhere from a few hours to the following day. For me, the benefits seem to last longer using this method as opposed to DCing for 20 minutes to an hour with heat/steam. Besides, DCs cost a lot of money and I want to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of them before I rinse.:lol:

PJaye

This is true.:drunk:

I deep condition with every single wash (or co-wash). For me it's essential in my hair care regimen and when I slack my hair suffers. It's one of my biggest MUST DO's for my hair.

Deep conditioning is essential for the health of my hair. I alternate protein and moisturizing conditioners. I can tell the difference when I don't DC especially in the winter. It is essential to length retention as well.

Yes, I never deep conditioned before, thought it was an unnecessary step. Now I know it's essential to health & retention. Just a heads up that dc you bought is crappy, for my hair at least

I'm gonna try it first and if I don't like I will return it lol

Deep conditioning made a big difference for me. In 2013 after I started going to the Domincans for a dc and rollerset I retained several inches. In 2014 I didn't go to the salon as often and I barely dc'd. I barely retained any growth, because my hair broke snd I needed a big trim. This year I am making sure to dc after every wash. I am also getting better about moisturizing and sealing.

I can't wait to see if my hair takes off bc I've been neglecting to deep condition for so long! I'll keep y'all posted!

The lightbulb just went off for me. I compared my last year picture to the photo I took last week after a relaxer and my hair was the exact same length. I realized that I have not done a true deep conditioning in well over a year :nono:. When I look back at the times when my hair was maintaining length it was when I was deep conditioning every week. Back on track this week :)

We got this!!!! I want to see comparison pics!

Nope, I never deep condition and my hair is retaining just dandy.

I find low manipulation helps with retention. Growth is not a problem as long as your health is up to par.

I don't DC...not in the traditional sense, I guess. I simply leave my condish in (I don't ever rinse it out) and the penetrating ingredients penetrate slower than they would if heat were applied, but they do just the same.

I do this because sometimes DCs state to leave it in for a few minutes, sometimes stating the same amount of time for a heatless application as a heated one and it shouldn't be, because a heatless application should be a lot slower. So sometimes the penetrating ingredients in a product takes longer to penetrate than the indicated time, sometimes a product marketed as a DC has 0 penetrating ingredients, and a lot of times leave-ins/condishes not marked as DCs do include some. Basically I find that companies often market things in whatever way they see fit and I find it hard to trust their intentions, so I always ignore the front of the bottle and just focus on the back. If a product has ingredients that penetrate, I leave them in so they can take their time to do so. I also find applying product, sitting around and then removing it is a waste of money and time.

Hair is now BSL-MBL, I'm 2 months shy of 3 years since last relaxer (wooh!) :drunk:

I don't DC...not in the traditional sense, I guess. I simply leave my condish in (I don't ever rinse it out) and the penetrating ingredients penetrate slower than they would if heat were applied, but they do just the same.

I do this because sometimes DCs state to leave it in for a few minutes, sometimes stating the same amount of time for a heatless application as a heated one and it shouldn't be, because a heatless application should be a lot slower. So sometimes the penetrating ingredients in a product takes longer to penetrate than the indicated time, sometimes a product marketed as a DC has 0 penetrating ingredients, and a lot of times leave-ins/condishes not marked as DCs do include some. Basically I find that companies often market things in whatever way they see fit and I find it hard to trust their intentions, so I always ignore the front of the bottle and just focus on the back. If a product has ingredients that penetrate, I leave them in so they can take their time to do so. I also find applying product, sitting around and then removing it is a waste of money and time.

Hair is now BSL-MBL, I'm 2 months shy of 3 years since last relaxer (wooh!) :drunk:

I do something similar. I use a DC that can double as a leave in. I apply after washing my hair, steam with it in, then style. My hair looks good and I'm using (and buying) less product.

The only thing I rinse out is my protein DC and I rarely need it anymore.

Back