Deep conditioning and hair growth

Without dc'ing, I'd probably hate my hair. A good dc session helps me get my hair together before and after heat, and to accept moisture from other products. I rarely use rinse out conditioner, as I much prefer to dc. I credit a lot of my length to dc'ing

I do something similar. I use a DC that can double as a leave in. I apply after washing my hair, steam with it in, then style. My hair looks good and I'm using (and buying) less product.

The only thing I rinse out is my protein DC and I rarely need it anymore.

Then what DCs (brands) are you using that can double as a leave-in?

I MUST DC. Pretty much every time shampoo touches my hair a DC must follow. I can get away with a mid-week, diluted shampoo wash without it. But a true, washday MUST include a DC.

I also need regular protein (i.e. once a week). I need hard protein once a month.

If I do the two above things, I retain length.

@ The bolded - so very true. I can't imagine shampooing my hair and not deep conditioning. I don't care what kind of shampoo it is (gentle vs. harsh)... my hair doesn't take it well and even if I use a regular conditioner afterwards, it might feel nice but I still deep condition.

I didnt deep condition as much as i should have. As a result i ended up with so much breakage last year. I retained next to no length. By the time i tried to fix it, it was too late. so now I dc every week.

Eta: i noticed a few summers back when i cowashed in the middle of the week and deep conditioned at the end i gained more length and kept it! Dc is key

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine NOT deep conditioning my hair. It's the one thing that is crucial for my hair. Using good conditioners and leave in. Even while relaxed, a good dc is veryyyyy necessary. I don't need a bunch of butters/oils/heavy products but I do need to make sure my hair is thoroughly conditioned properly. My hair feels so much better when it is.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I think DC is a very important step. But for some women once a week may not be enough for a DC if they have very dry and porous hair. And they may need to step up their game with water rinses to lock in the moisture as well as weekly or bi weekly DC's.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I deep condition after every wash and I think my hair is doing well because of it, especially my edges. While my edges are thin/fine, the hair in that region is growing. I know for a fact that weekly conditioning works. I steam in my conditioner so that it penetrates each strand because I have low porosity hair and since I've been doing that my edges are improving. Also before my big chop, or going natural, I wore braids for two-and-half years, and my while my hair grew, my edges continued to recede. It wasn't until I started steaming in my conditioner did I see a- turn-around. My edges are thriving. I'm seriously beginning to have hope for this hair of mine.:afro:

Last edited:
What are good deep moisturizing conditioners and deep protein conditioners (natural/westernized)?

I use natural products without coconut oil (makes my hair hard). My favs of the moment are CJ Curl Rehab (moisture), DB Blueberry Cheesecake (moisture), CJ Repair Me (protein), Bekura Vanilla Whisky (protein). Honestly, I can use almost any natural DC without coconut oil and it works just fine. I sit under a hooded dryer or my steamer for 20 minutes or longer. Rinse with cool water to deal your cuticles.

Last edited:
Will be trying a new deep conditioner this weekend! The shea moisture manuka and fig deep conditioner!!! I'll be back with a review soon!

I use natural products without coconut oil (makes my hair hard). My favs of the moment are CJ Curl Rehab (moisture), DB Blueberry Cheesecake (moisture), CJ Repair Me (protein), Bekura Vanilla Whisky (protein). Honestly, I can use almost any natural DC without coconut oil and it works just fine. I sit under a hooded dryer or my steamer for 20 minutes or longer. Rinse with cool water to deal your cuticles.

I'm the same! I hate any product with coconut oil. Makes my hair hard. Not to mention pure coconut oil makes my skin itch like a b... Lol

I'm tempted to try out your suggestions.

this thread has motivated me to order this deep conditioning heat cap I'd been eyeing for a while. thanks op!

I deep conditioned my hair this morning with the shea moisture manuka honey and Mafura oil deep conditioning mask and it left my hair feeling like butter!!!! So I'm definitely keeping this in my regimen. Then I applied the "as I am" leave in conditioner and 2 strand twisted my hair with alikay naturals shea yogurt! I can wait to see my results for church in the morning!!!

Back