De-lurking! Thank you guys for teaching me so much! (LOTS OF PICS!!)

phychugirl

Hi, everyone. :) My name is Sydney, I've been lurking here since about 2006 and I finally recently purchased a membership. In these short few years, I have learned SO MUCH, and my hair has thrived. I'm gonna be doing a timeline of my progress in this post, because I KNOW :needpics:

Growing up, I always had long hair. When I was a little girl, I'd have to sweep my ponytail braid over my shoulder to keep it from dipping in the toilet. :blush:
As I grew up, my hair lost it's extreme length, but it still remained fairly long.
000_07351.jpg

This was me at 15 years old.

At 16, I got my first relaxer. That was a BIG mistake.
000_11881.jpg

It looked cute at first, but then...(you know how this story goes)
blackhair1.jpg

boobiesmeh.jpg

It slowly but surely ate up my hair..

By the time I graduated high school, my hair was shoulder length. Then, I found YOU GUYS. :D

august192006hair.jpg

I got a semi-BC. Then, I just let my hair grow out natural and slowly clipped all the relaxer out.

a8f8b91801b0.jpg
January 2007. (I dyed a pink streak in my hair. :))
mefireplace.jpg
January 2008.
100_1341.jpg
August 2008.
tutorialresults2.jpg
October 2008.
100_1691.jpg
January 2009.

Aaaanndddd... NOW...ish.
1214k1u.jpg

I think I'm BSL? What do you think?

And, just to compare, here's my afro this year versus last year.
100_1146.jpg

27yy0iu.jpg
Ignore my creepy boyfriend.

SO, what do you guys think? I'm not really sure if I'm BSL/BSB yet...

Let me know if you guys are curious about my regimen. :)

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. This board has saved my hair! You have no idea how thankful I am that I found this site. Thank you! I'm excited to start posting and interacting with you guys.

WELCOME. Well actually you've been around longer than I have. At any rate, your hair gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. You know how much we like pics.

Here's my regimen, you guys. :) Thanks for the compliments and the warm welcome!

Staple Products:
Suave Clarifying Shampoo (It's the BEST shampoo I've ever used AND it's only a little over $1! :D)
ORS Replenishing Pak/Conditioner. (I buy the big bottle)
Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Pantene Relaxed and Natural Deep Conditioning Mask
Aussie Deeeeep 3 Minute Miracle
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Unrefined Shea Butter
Motions Heat Seeker Heat Protectant
Biosilk Silk Therapy (Or the generic one from Sally's, both are amazing.)
Denman D3 Brush (this brush is so dope, it changed my life.)

And my regimen is as follows:

On my wash days, I usually shampoo first, depending on when the last time I shampooed was. Usually I only use shampoo once a month, to get rid of buildup. I wash my SCALP ONLY! I put it on my palms, and then stick my fingers under my wet hair, to my scalp. I do NOT pile my hair on my head and massage. I only massage my SCALP. When I rinse I just let it run through the ends, which gets it clean.
After shampoo, I condition. I use any cheap conditioner, usually Aussie or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship. With conditioner in my hair, I run a shower comb through my hair to quickly detangle, and then I take my Denman and smooth all my hair back. After a couple minutes of leaving the conditioner in, I rinse it out under cold water and brush my hair under the stream. I always leave a little conditioner in.

Then, I slather deep conditioner in my hair, and this is when I play chemist. ;) I try to find anything I can mix with my DC to make it better. Honey, olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, raw egg, etc. I've always heard that avocado is a good hair mask, but I tried that once and got green pieces stuck ALL in my hair! D: So I don't recommend that..

I put a plastic bag on my head, and I leave it in as long as possible, maybe 3 hours max, depending on what I have planned that day. Afterward, I rinse out the DC with cold water. I put any products I like in my hair. I try not to use a lot, because it makes the hair greasy, flat, and untouchable. I usually just throw in an bunch of coconut oil and shea butter and that's it.

I let it air dry about 80%, then I blow dry it until it's a big poof. This makes it a little easier to get really straight. This would be when I start using the Heat Seeker and Biosilk.

I part my hair in four parts, starting with my nape, using the Biosilk on all my hair. I straighten with my Sedu 1 in flat iron on 410 degrees in tiiiiny pieces. The tinier the piece, the straighter it'll get. I curl all of the hair under, and when I'm done, it usually ends up in a Farrah-type style. :)
After that, I just run a little coconut oil through all my hair to give it a little extra shine.

At night, I always(usually) wrap my hair, and I always use a du-rag. They're way easier to keep on your head, and they'll lay down your edges. :)

After maybe a week or two and my hair starts looking raggedy, I'll wash it with conditioner and wear it curly. This is where the Denman comes in! Running the brush through my hair defines my curls SO WELL. I love it! So I'll wear my afro for a week and then start the process ALL over again. :)

Last edited:
Your hair is just gorgeous! Welcome to the board! What is your regimen? I'd love to know because your hair is too pretty, and your progress is amazing!

Edited to add: I just saw you added your regimen. Thanks so much for sharing this. Gorgeous hair!

Last edited:
Back