DCing with heat. Does it cause Cumulative damage?

sweetwhispers

I stayed away from heat for the whole of my hair journey but have recently began using it. Since i have incorporated heat in my DC's my hair has taken off, so to speak. However i was reading a thread on protein and it was mentioned that heat causes the cuticle to open/swell and then it returning to this normal state and done constantly will cause breakage.

Is this true?
Has anyone seen damage caused by using a dryer?

I think it really matters how much heat you are using (how high the heat is) and whether or not the heat is directly applied to the hair.

I use a heating cap with a shower cap and the cap included when I dc with heat so I don't expect it to cause me any damage.

I have a gold n' hot dryer its the type with a nozzle that you attach to the hairdryer. My dryer only has 3 settings, i put it on medium, i wrap my hair in clingfilm first or a showercap.

Last edited:
with ur hair in a shower cap dont worry about it. ur hair wont get damaged from a normal dc from time to time.

I stayed away from heat for the whole of my hair journey but have recently began using it. Since i have incorporated heat in my DC's my hair has taken off, so to speak. However i was reading a thread on protein and it was mentioned that heat causes the cuticle to open/swell and then it returning to this normal state and done constantly will cause breakage.

Is this true?
Has anyone seen damage caused by using a dryer?

Moisture swells your cuticle in the same way. Its all about how much. Everyone has a different threshold for the back and forth swelling and deflation of their hair. You have to stay within yours. Most of us don't need 30-45 minutes under the dryer with conditioner, especially on a regular basis. This can and will surge the cuticle with too much moisture or protein depending on the product you are using, and cause weak spots to form in the shaft that will eventually break and thin the hair out. Heat is beneficial when used properly. Stick the the time alloted on your product for heat usage and if it doesn't say anything, try to keep it under 20 minutes or so.

I don't think hooded dryer temperature go anywhere near the temperatures a lot of ladies use for flat ironing - but the hair can still withstand it for the most part. The heat from a hooded dryer is indirect and the lifting of the cuticle is necessary for the conditioner to penetrate.

There's a threshold for heat that will break a particular bond i.e. bonds in keratin. I really don't think that the levels we use for DCs is at or near to this.

Do you know what temperature your dryer gets to?

Thanks gym. My i was Dcing for like ever! (Once a month or so)

Urban i have no idea what temp it goes up to, i just bought a cheapie one for my dryer.

I think i'll experiment with Dcing with heat once a month for a lower time.

Thank you all

I think it really matters how much heat you are using (how high the heat is) and whether or not the heat is directly applied to the hair.

I use a heating cap with a shower cap and the cap included when I dc with heat so I don't expect it to cause me any damage.

To clarify......

You use a heating cap underneath or on top of a shower cap?
What does '...and the cap included when i dc"?
What are you doing again?

Being that you use a shower cap, that will help trap some moisture inside and will help with the DC. YOu should be okay.

Thanks gym. My i was Dcing for like ever! (Once a month or so)

Urban i have no idea what temp it goes up to, i just bought a cheapie one for my dryer.

I think i'll experiment with Dcing with heat once a month for a lower time.

Thank you all

i think you can deep condition with heat more than once a month just for a shorter length of time.

Back