Air Drying Will Cause More Damage Than Blowdrying (Kinda Long)

Yeah I saw that and thought it was wierd. Who would airdry after shampooing?

I like airdrying because I'm too lazy to blow dry. I never had any problems and my hair actually likes it.

LadyJay114 said:
I'm surprised no one brought this up.

Most of us dont dry our hair after the shampoo. After shampooing, we condition the hair, then let it dry.

Of course your hair will be damaged after the shampoo; the con relieves pressure from inside the hair which relax the cuticle layer and returns it to normal size.

ha, well my hairdresser said that 2 me last year...i stuck to my guns (thats when my hair was chewed out) and now my hair is half way down my back and strong like steele because of me airdrying...!

aslong as u use a conditioner, a leave in conditioner, a moisturizer and then a natural oil....trust me u will have the best airdrying experience ever and your hair will flourish :)

Honi said:
Yeah I saw that and thought it was wierd. Who would airdry after shampooing?

I like airdrying because I'm too lazy to blow dry. I never had any problems and my hair actually likes it.

actually i did try to airdry after a shampoo only (once) using matrix sleek look, the shampoo had a lot of slip so i wanted to see if i even needed to add a conditioner. turns out i didnt. it still came out nice and smooth. with no frizz or dry ends.

Candy_C said:
ha, well my hairdresser said that 2 me last year...i stuck to my guns (thats when my hair was chewed out) and now my hair is half way down my back and strong like steele because of me airdrying...!

aslong as u use a conditioner, a leave in conditioner, a moisturizer and then a natural oil....trust me u will have the best airdrying experience ever and your hair will flourish :)

I agree with all of this. My hair hated airdrying when I just used some Vo5 conditioner and oil as a leave-in, and my hair dried horrible. Using a leave-in, moisturizer, and oil works amazing!

Mastering Air Drying was the best thing I could have done for my hair. My hair has had 90% less breakage, splits and has grown nicely.

As a matter of fact, I cheated this weekend and wanted to see what my hair would be like with a blowdry on low an a maxiglide flat iron :sekret: (I just reached armpit the other day and had to see it straight) -- Anyway,My hair was so hard! I missed the soft moisturized feeling of my hair being air dried.

She can say what she likes, but for me, air drying stopped my hair breakage in its tracks, I don;t suffer split ends and my hair is past shoulders moving to armpit for the first time in my life. Further, all this and I have been heat free for only 4 months. My hair did a 180!

When I airdried my hair in the past without proper conditioners, leave in conditioner and oil may hair was broken, hard and dry.

Now I have found the most effective moisturizing conditioner for my hair in paul mitchell, the perfect leave in elucence and the perfect sealant in all natural almond oil.

I threw my blow dryer away, curling iron is thrown away and I get complements on my hair regularly.

heat can work for some, but for my baby fine relaxed hair--no heat was the way to go. I'll never go back.

LadyJay114 said:
I'm surprised no one brought this up.

Most of us dont dry our hair after the shampoo. After shampooing, we condition the hair, then let it dry.

Of course your hair will be damaged after the shampoo; the con relieves pressure from inside the hair which relax the cuticle layer and returns it to normal size.

That is a good point.

I am constant heat styler but I have to agree with everyone else less heat is better.
Blow drying especially in one direction leads to the appearance of health by closing hair cuticles. Closing hair cuticles leads to a smoother appearance and more shine.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I can say that the proof is in the pudding. I NEVER had waist length hair when I was a blow dryer. It's a different story, now that I am an air dryer. :yep:

I know air drying is better. My mom was notorious for rollersetting minus the blowdrying when I was growing up in the late 80's and early 90's. Her hair was so thick and pretty then. Someone:look: had the bright idea that she would make things more convenient for her mom, so that little person gave her a blowdryer. Now, I just want to throw that thing away. Plus, I have seen how my own hair which was already thick is getting even thicker and longer since I have started airdrying. Airdrying works for me!

Dry your hair without drying out your hair! The constant use of blow-dryers and flat iron can leave your hair dried out. High heat and the length of time high heat is used on the hair will also reduce the structure of the hair. The hair will lose its elasticity. Damage to the cuticle of the hair will make it more breakable. Steam will form inside the hair shaft which in turn will burst hair by breaking it. This is why we need to limit the amount of heat as well as the length of time you dry the hair.

Blot your wet hair, wrap the towel around your head like a turban, in just a few minutes the towel will have absorbed the excess moisture. Use one of the old fashioned table-top dryers, the ones that you put your head under, they fold and expand to different heights. Start with hot and reduce to a cooler setting then begin styling when 80%-90% of the hair is dry

Blow dry with a diffuser first, and then style when 80%-90% of the hair is dry, or use the blow dryer with the nozzle pointing down the hair shaft by gently moving your fingers. When the hair is 80% or so dry, use a paddle brush to smooth out the ends and then finish with cold air. Apply Leave-in treatment on clean towel dried hair prior to application of any styling tools

The article says that blowdrying and flat irons will dry your hair out. He also suggests sitting under a bonnet dryer and only blow drying once your hair is 80-90% dry. So I don't think their talking about frying your hair with the dryer.

Back