Dazed & Confused

Hello Ladies

Have you ever been at a stage where you have no idea why your hair is acting up and have tried it all to get it right? That's where I'm at right now.
I've been wearing my hair curly for the past 5 months, and I've been going along thinking everything is going so well with my hair. I've been seeing a good amount of growth. I co-wash, use coconut oil, do protein treatments as needed and even MTG every now and then. I finger comb and when I do use a comb, it's a wide-tooth on wet hair with conditioner and I'm gentle. I'm constantly doing wet-assessments on my hair, moisturizing, and tying it up every night. Today is the second time I've straightened it, and with it straight I noticed that I have major breakage in several areas. :eek: WHYYYYYY?????? :confused:
I feel like I may have to start all over, but I don't even know where I went wrong. It's so very extremely disheartening. :(
Who's been here?

I've been there and I'm sure many of these ladies have. There can be a number of reasons why you are experiencing breakage. One thing that I may suggest is minimizing combing your hair while wet. Even though you have a wide comb, I noticed when I do this I am more likely to see strands. Try using your fingers as much as possible. Also, use a satin or silk scarf and don't tie tightly.
Please don't give up or be discouraged. If you keep trying it will pay off. With all the advice and tips on this board you have nothing to worry about...now go grow some healthy beautiful hair!:)

Is that you in your avatar? You're very pretty.:)

Are you using a heat protectant on your hair when you straighten it? I had horrid breakage for years because I didn't use heat protectant and too high heat.

I am not an expert but, what do you use to tie your up with? and are your combs seamless. Sometimes damage can occur when you tie your hair too tight with the wrong elastics etc. I use satin scrunchies and a wooden comb. Also, the octopus clips are good too for keeping you hair up! I hope this helps some!:)

I have exactly the same problem. I realized that I needed henna rather than protein and just consistent moisture. I also realized that my hair can't take texlaxing. It either needs to be 80 percent straight so a comb can slip through it or just kinky (i am 4b fine haired) and likely short. Too much protein wasn't good for my hair. Henna makes it much stronger. Good luck. I am still trying to get to the low breakage point too. Also, I think you have to know your weak spots in your hair and tend to them extra carefully.

Thanks for the replies! :) Camellia- Yes, that's me (Hi Everyone!!) You and your hair always look gorgeous!

I use seamless combs and a drawstring satin bonnet. Has anyone ever had problems with those? Are scarves better?

For those who have had mysterious breakage, what ended it?

Thanks and God Bless

Back