Daughter's thick, BSL hair..need help!!!

determine3

When I first started researching hair health etc. my intentions was to find help with my daughter's hair. I kinda went off track (found solutions for my hair but not hers) She is five, has BSL (?) thick, course hair. It is really curly when wet but is definately not 3c hair. Her hair knots at the roots and will clump together but is beautiful if I wash and blow-dry. Problem..she bawls for her hair...her poor scalp is so sensitive. Also, I don't want to use heat in her hair..this is not fair to her bc it will get damaged. Please help me. What should I do?

Also, washing more often is not going to work as it takes me so long to wash, dry, comb out style. I honestly wash no more than once a week.

Have you tried shea butter, butter ghee (you can get it @ the grocery store Indian foods)-use it at night throughout the length of her hair, not too much.
misting with water or aloe vera to keep it moist. just some suggestions. hth

Last edited:
Thanks Lucia... I have tried all these things....they do absolutely nothing for her hair. I know there is a solution.. any mom's out there who have solutions or regimens for their daughter's hair????

my cousin Bobby in jamaica seems to have the same hair as your daughter...

what about combing her hair with a light oil in, twist into 4 big sections, take down one at a time...shampoo each section, add conditioner and re twist (for each section) leave in, rinse out by just unravelling and re-dooin.

add a creamy leave in, on each section while dampish(salerm 21 is very good for natural hair) and leave her hair twisted overnight..

by morn her hair should be near enough dry, unravel those twists and look in shock and awe @ the beauty!
my cousin did this with her hair, she actually used grease on her hair the following night to help define the wave created and lock in all the goodness.

re twist her hair, or just let her go nursery/school with her hair twisted (more indiviudal twists) by the time its wash time again, her hair shouldn't really be tangled as the oil lubricates and wahsing in detangled sections is the best thing..

hope that helps! this is exactly what i'm gonna be doing when natural

Last edited:
determine3 said:
When I first started researching hair health etc. my intentions was to find help with my daughter's hair. I kinda went off track (found solutions for my hair but not hers) She is five, has BSL (?) thick, course hair. It is really curly when wet but is definately not 3c hair. Her hair knots at the roots and will clump together but is beautiful if I wash and blow-dry. Problem..she bawls for her hair...her poor scalp is so sensitive. Also, I don't want to use heat in her hair..this is not fair to her bc it will get damaged. Please help me. What should I do?

Also, washing more often is not going to work as it takes me so long to wash, dry, comb out style. I honestly wash no more than once a week.

Shea butter doesn't work for everyone. Go to www.qhemetbiologics.com. She has good products for dry, tangly hair.

determine3 said:

Sounds like my 7 year old. What I do, is put her hair in 4 sections when I wash it. I wash each individually so I don't have a big section of hair to detangle. When it is time for the final wash, I apply the shampoo without lathering and dump a handful of conditioner on top and work it through. During the final rinse, I use my fingers to work out any tangles and then while the water is running on the hair, braid it in a loose braid. I do that will all the sections. Usually I put box braids in using her own hair. I like it because you can do different styles with the box braids. I also wash her hair while they are in and just retouch the edges. I take them out after about 3 weeks but I detangle buy putting some warm water and cheap conditioner in a spray bottle and soaking her hair. I take out the braids, comb out tangles and section hair and then wash like above.

As far as products, I use carols daughter healthy hair butter on the length of each braid after I wash and just spritz it day with the braid spray. HTH Q

Thanks for your help ladies. Last night I saw a new Johnson and Johnson's product called Johnson's Buddies- no more tangles easy comb spray. I didn't think it would help but it was less than $4 so I had nothing to lose. Anyways, it didn't solve her hair problem but it made detangling a LOT easier. I think it's the moisture her hair needs so i'm going to try and add moisture to both of there hair (i did a whole bunch of twists throughout) on a daily basis and see how that goes. I'm gonna try some more of your suggestions including washing the hair in sections.

Thanks

Back