Dating Anniversaries...Do they Matter?!

Syrah

So one of my girl friends went out on a date and during the date, dude made a point of saying "take note of this day". The implications being that if the relationship developed into something more than "wow, you're cute and your FICO score doesn't make me scream" that this could potentially be an anniversary of sorts.

Cute.

Kinda.

And I got to thinking - me and my ex of 6+ years never had an anniversary. It just wasn't something that crossed our minds. We celebrated the usual holidays, and did the typical couple things, but there wasn't this date that we celebrated as being significant of our union. And I actually was fine with, and advocated, that. We both could tell you the exact date we met - but it wasn't something that we felt the need to celebrate (not really sure why).

So I'm asking - do dating anniversaries matter?

Note: this post has NO bearing on engagements and wedding anniversaries. STRICTLY dating!

It all depends on the individuals.

I kno for me...I have always been big on dates just because they represent milestones for me, a sort of progress chart. And plus, my boyfriend and I are both romantics so....we kept a mental note of the day we first met-probably will have celebrations for that...the day we got together exclusively, and etc

What we do is so unnecessary, we just place emphasis on it because its another day to emphasis that we care. (Even though everyday is a holiday)

To each his/her own

I prefer celebrating anniversaries in a relationship rather than celebrating Valentine's Day. VDay is overrated to me, but the day we became exlcusive or started dating is unique to us.

I've only celebrated the date of the beginning of the relationship though, not the first date.

All of my SOs have made note of and expected to celebrate our anniversaries, and I appreciated that. Gets 'em trained for marriage. Kidding, kidding. :lol:

Back