Dating A Rastafarian Man?

I have family members who are Rastafarians. I know a lot about and love the lifestyle which probably why I'm so hippyish. With that said, I probably wouldn't marry a real rasta.

They are extremely misogynistic and patriarchal, hence, the cheating. Actually, it's not cheating. It's just part of the religion. The nayabingis are the worst. He
may not be a practicing Rastafarian so ask him before you proceed. Dating is for discerning so if he's not a match KIM.

I have family members who are Rastafarians. I know a lot about and love the lifestyle which probably why I'm so hippyish. With that said, I probably wouldn't marry a real rasta.

They are extremely misogynistic and patriarchal, hence, the cheating. Actually, it's not cheating. It's just part of the religion. The nayabingis are the worst. He
may not be a practicing Rastafarian so ask him before you proceed. Dating is for discerning so if he's not a match KIM.
Thanks Yardy :) I am not sure if he is a practicing rasta or not because he drank alcohol on our dates and because of some things he said but I will keep what you said in mind. Monogamy is a non-negotiable so I need to really find out what he thinks about it on our next date this Sunday.

I have very interesting convos with Rastas, but I'd never date one. The monogamy issue and their views about women
Same here. I love talking with them. I have several in my family...but I have had no interest in a relationship with one. But I guess I am bias. I have always had a strong love for regular AA men.

Last edited:
My advice is to run before you get in too deep. They are not your typical men, for all the reasons highlighted. They call themselves rastafarians for a reason, i.e. they ascribe to the tenets of the religion where women are second class citizens.

My advice is to run before you get in too deep. They are not your typical men, for all the reasons highlighted. They call themselves rastafarians for a reason, i.e. they ascribe to the tenets of the religion where women are second class citizens.
I definitely agree with this, I don't want to get caught up until I am sure what type of man he is and how he feels about certain things. I have a date tonight so I will do some subtle digging over dinner

The girl who does my natural hairstyles is dating a younger rasta. She is 34 and he is in his 20's. Like 25.

When I used to get my hair done she would talk about how much of a good man he is.

Now when I see her posts on FB , it seems like she is totally brainwashed by him. She denounces her own religion now. I can tell that her mother is upset and their relationship is strained by what she posts. She also doesn't celebrate any holidays anymore. Didn't buy her 4 kids anything for Christmas.

Now she is big and pregnant by dude. So this will be their first baby together. I just shake my head.

ETA: I just saw that he's actually a black Hebrew Israelite.

Last edited:
Tread lightly hon. Most serious rastas subscribe to a patriarchal and reductive view of women. They are like the hoteps we have here. I spent a lot of my childhood with a Rasta uncle. There are many beautiful aspects about the culture and religion so I am hoping you have a rasta-lite who loves the problackness, connection to mama Africa, and clean eating. Use your conversations to ask questions that will force him to reveal his stance on things. You should have a good idea about where he stands then.

Back