Dating A Rastafarian Man?

What are his thoughts on monogamy? He probably doesn't eat pork or shell fish.... I don't think that's a big deal, don't know if it would be for you though.

(never dated one, my male cousin is one though)

What are his thoughts on monogamy? He probably doesn't eat pork or shell fish.... I don't think that's a big deal, don't know if it would be for you though.

(never dated one, my male cousin is one though)
He is vegetarian which is easy enough; seems to be quite picky about cleanliness which is ok....but could get irritating real quick. I'm not sure exactly what his views on monogamy are though cos we just met but I just want to know whether this is worth my time or not. Are they known heauxs??

Last edited:
He is vegetarian which is easy enough; seems to be quite picky about cleanliness which is ok....but could get irritating real quick. I'm not sure exactly what is views on monogamy though cos we just met but I just want to know whether this is worth my time or not. Are they known heauxs??

maybe :look:

but feel him out first, it's probably not fair to assume that he's just like my cousin (and a few others that i know )

While I have never dated a Rastafarian I have dated a Jamaican who had a few Rastafarian friends. While it could be different because I was the girlfriend the guys I met were more like typical Jamaican men but they subscribed to being a Rasta as a way a life not so much a religion. They were cool though.
Not sure that helps.

Well thanks ladies, all I can do is hope he is the monogamous type I'm still getting to know him, and like what I see so far. I don't need to be a sister wife so my fingers are crossed

Good for you! Just keep your eyes open and have some fun while you are learning about each other. If you see red flags act accordingly, but unless that happens I wish you the best of luck!

Good for you! Just keep your eyes open and have some fun while you are learning about each other. If you see red flags act accordingly, but unless that happens I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you! I have had a hard year after finding myself a single mother when I was pregnant despite having been in a relationship for two years prior and we were supposed to marry last Christmas. I have enjoyed every second of my baby (1 year old tomorrow!) But have throroughly enjoyed getting to know someone who makes me feel like me again. I'm enjoying this!

I dated one who was separated from his white wife and whenever she would show up, I would become the invisible woman. I left his backside with his white woman and haven't seen him since.:afro:afro:

Somewhat unrelated but I just finished watching the documentary Marley about Bob Marley and after seeing how he and his circle lived the Rastafarian lifestyle I know I couldn't deal with it. Firstly, it seemed that they didn't know or have any concept of the word monogamy and secondly, and this comes from my anecdotal evidence the men are as colorstruck and into white and non black women as non Rastas if not more so, which to me is a bit contradictory.

But maybe yours is different. Good luck.

@RUBY I hear you about the colourstruck stuff, I have often wondered about that. I haven't asked him about the race of his exes yet, not there yet lol. But he does seem to be very pro-black, but I guess the colourstruck ones can come off that way too.

Many don't tend to subscribe to the concept of monogamy. You have your queen/empress but that doesn't mean you can't have others.

I live in Jamaica and have for the last decade just for reference.
Can the women be promiscuous too?

my only thing is if you do not adhere to the culture norms of the western civilization then it would be hard for me to date or be with you

most rastsa dont..ive met some good rasta's but if you dont like to eat at restaurants and enjoy everyday normal coupledom things then we cant proceed

i dont wanna group all rasta men together...i do think they are an acquired taste...for a certain type of woman

I am Jamaican and I know very little if anything at all about Rastafarians. When I lived in Jamaica or visited often, the Rastafarians I saw or knew of kept to themselves in their own communities.

I know the stuff that is general knowledge:
  • They eat ital: no seasonings or manufactured food; No pork
  • Ethiopia is a very important place to the religion
  • Haile Selassie is highly revered
  • Strong ties to the traditional Jamaican culture
  • They do not cut their hair. I guess because it's a source of strength.
My cousins, sibling and I once snuck out and went to a Haya Bingee (sp) where it was some sort of religious ritual. The people there were burning a LOT of big fires. I had to have been like 3 or 4 years old, but I remember that night for some reason.

Anyway, tread carefully. Even if we proclaim that most Rastafarians are X, Y and Z - every man is still an individual. Use your instincts and go slow to be sure.

Back