darken hair

carletta

Can ANYONE offer any suggestion on how to darken my hair naturally. I don't want to use a rinse or semi-perm color for fear that every hair on my head will fall to the floor ! :ohwell: What I'm aiming for is to make my hair a shiney jet black. ( my hair has no coloring )

THANKS IN ADVANCE LADIES !

Last edited:
The natural things that come to my mind are:

Henna followed by Indigo
Tea rinse
Coffee rinse
Aveda Black Malva products

I have only tried the henna and indigo, and considering trying the Aveda products in the future.

HTH

The natural things that come to my mind are:

Henna followed by Indigo This IS the ONLY completely NATURAL way to get black hair! I love this and its been my coloring method for the last 8 or 9 months! :yep:Just ran out and found Gleaming Ebony Hennalucent. (not completely natural though)
Tea rinse
Coffee rinse
Aveda Black Malva products

I have only tried the henna and indigo, and considering trying the Aveda products in the future.

HTH

Also using Amla powder and/or oil will darken hair; the powder will probably produce for long term color. Hope this helps.

i know someone who swears by the tea rinse. she steeps like 10 black tea bags, adds peppermint leaves, and uses that as a last rinse every week. her hair really is jet black and shiny so maybe she's onto something.

~HENNA IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO NATURALLY DARKEN THE HAIR~

Bigen is what I always use.

ITA::yep: The have all times dark colors: from Dark Brown to the Blackest of Blacks: the site is www.bigenexp.com: its a natural dye so u can relax ur hair and color it in the same day: its 1000000% less messier then a henna: and a bottle for SL hair is $6: as w/ henna: its about $25 and then u gotta buy indigo: which is another $25. too expensive and so long to do (HENNA"S NOT FOR ME) IMO

Last edited:

ITA::yep: The have all times dark colors: from Dark Brown to the Blackest of Blacks: the site is www.bigenexp.com: its a natural dye so u can relax ur hair and color it in the same day: its 1000000% less messier then a henna: and a bottle for SL hair is $6: as w/ henna: its about $25 and then u gotta buy indigo: which is another $25. too expensive and so long to do (HENNA"S NOT FOR ME) IMO

Henna's for me! :grin:
I henna and indigo and it is not $25. My hair is SL and I use 100gm of henna and 100gm indigo (I always have leftover henna and can use it again to make up to 2 henna glosses) costs a total of $13-$14.

The more you mix and use henna/henna-type products the easier and faster it becomes. :yep:

Henna's for me! :grin:
I henna and indigo and it is not $25. My hair is SL and I use 100gm of henna and 100gm indigo (I always have leftover henna and can use it again to make up to 2 henna glosses) costs a total of $13-$14.

The more you mix and use henna/henna-type products the easier and faster it becomes. :yep:

ITA with all stated above :yep:

ITA::yep: The have all times dark colors: from Dark Brown to the Blackest of Blacks: the site is www.bigenexp.com: its a natural dye so u can relax ur hair and color it in the same day: its 1000000% less messier then a henna: and a bottle for SL hair is $6: as w/ henna: its about $25 and then u gotta buy indigo: which is another $25. too expensive and so long to do (HENNA"S NOT FOR ME) IMO[/quote/]

The link didnt go through. Henna is awesome. But my hair hated it. I think i'll try some thing else for now.

If you decide to use Bigen, make sure you do your research. Also, do a patch test as it has high amounts of PPD and can cause an allergic reaction(severity varies from person to person that is allergic). From what I've seen and the stories I've read, it is a no go for me:nono:.

Anyhow, henna and indigo are natural ways to go darker and they're safe too. I've always had wonderful results. The downside is that it can be a lengthy process. Anyhow, good luck!

If you decide to use Bigen, make sure you do your research. Also, do a patch test as it has high amounts of PPD and can cause an allergic reaction(severity varies from person to person that is allergic). From what I've seen and the stories I've read, it is a no go for me:nono:.

Anyhow, henna and indigo are natural ways to go darker and they're safe too. I've always had wonderful results. The downside is that it can be a lengthy process. Anyhow, good luck!

Please elaborate-very interested pj here:yep:

The biggest concern I have about Bigen is the ppd content (very high) and some people have claimed to have had extreme reactions, like their face, head swelling and having to go to emergency and endure painful shots of medication to alleviate the problem. Just a cautionary note:

You could also try this from an Indian grocer:

Kalpi-Tone-Powder.jpg

Hesh Naturoriche Kalpi Tone Powder has the following advantages
- Gives a dark tinge to the hair
- Strengthens hair roots
- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss & premature graying
- Relieves headaches & induces sound sleep

Ingredients
Amla Fruit (Phyllanthus Emblica Linn) 10%, Maka Leaves (Eclipa Aba) 10%, Mandoor (Iron Rust) 10%, Jaswandh Flower (Hibiscus Rosa) 9%, Narangichal (Citrus Aurantium) 8%, Shikakai Fruit (Acacia Conncinna) 7%, Kumari Leaves (hedychium Spicatum) 7%, Kapur Kachili (Hedychium Spicatum) 6%, Brahmi (Herpestis Monniera) 5%, Methi Seed (Trigonalafinum Greekum) 5%, Wala (Andropogan Muricatus) 5%, Khadir Stem (Acacia Katechu wild) 3%, Chandan (Santalum Album) 2%, Neem (Azadirachta Indica), Sitaphal Seeed Powder (Squamosa), Sugandh Dravya (Q.S.).

More

Not sure if you are aware of this or if it even matters to you, but because of my experience, I just wanted to mention this. If you dye your hair darker than it actually is with semi-permanents or permanent colors, you can actually permanently (meaning, you CAN'T lighten it) dye your hair black. I've been trimming off jet black hair for about a year now(and I still have about 2-3 inches left) after a couple of failed attempts to actually lighten that hair.

Just thought I'd mention it, just in case you weren't aware.

This is by no means a knock against jet black hair, which I think is gorgeous. It's simply an attempt to add to the OPs information repository re: dying your hair darker than it's natural color.

There's information re: this available on the internet as well and colorists can assist with more information re: this, if it matters to you.

Not sure if you are aware of this or if it even matters to you, but because of my experience, I just wanted to mention this. If you dye your hair darker than it actually is with semi-permanents or permanent colors, you can actually permanently (meaning, you CAN'T lighten it) dye your hair black. I've been trimming off jet black hair for about a year now(and I still have about 2-3 inches left) after a couple of failed attempts to actually lighten that hair.

Just thought I'd mention it, just in case you weren't aware.

This is by no means a knock against jet black hair, which I think is gorgeous. It's simply an attempt to add to the OPs information repository re: dying your hair darker than it's natural color.

There's information re: this available on the internet as well and colorists can assist with more information re: this, if it matters to you.

That's true I am a medium brown, but I hate that it makes my hair look so ashy so every since I colored it darker I am stuck with it unless I cut & that ain't happening.:nono:

Regular ole Amla oil DOES NOT darken my hair and I use it all the time so maybe people are mixing it with something but just amla by it self :nono:

Back