Dark Hair/Light Hair/Hi-Lites (what's in?)

kim

I usually dye my hair, but it hasn't been dyed in about a year. I keep going back and forth with if I want to go lighter or darker or just get hi-lights. In recent years I have been on the dark hair looks better kick. Every time I have my mind made up to stay dark, I see a nice light color( or hi-lites) that I like. What is your particular color of choice? Also, I have noticed alot of grays in my hair. So which would be the better choice for covering gray strands? Thanks in Advance

I love dark hair on people. My hair is naturally brown and light brown/red on the top. I have some grey (that I love). I even use Jhirmack (?) for grey to keep the grey white. The Alma Oil has been darken my hair and I like that but it does nothing or the greys.

I think anything goes now. The guard at my daughter's school as red, yellow and blue hair and she looks nice with it.

I change my mind w/ hair color almost as much as i change my mind about my hair. Right now i have a brown color in but am considering going back to jet black. For coloring greys my mom uses some brown highlights only where her greys are... it works for her. Ultimately you'll have to see what works best for you. Good Luck!!

I think it will definitely depend on how your skin complexion complements your chosen color. Usually colorists (or whatever the stylists that specialize in color are called; I may be just making up a word:lol: ) have a chart they go by which takes in consideration skin tones, undertones, etc., but of course, ultimately the final decision is yours.

My hair is naturally brown and I have always liked the lighter brown and blondish highlights and my skin complexion is like a caramel color. My sister has very light skin and has almost black hair but she has done auburn as well as light brown highlights. I think they both complement her very well, but I don't think i would like the auburn color on me.

It ultimately depends on what YOU like and if YOU think you wear it well, so go for what you know:) !

For cold months I go darker and for warm months I go for lighter colors and highlighting but it all boils down to what matches your skintone.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
For cold months I go darker and for warm months I go for lighter colors and highlighting but it all boils down to what matches your skintone.
Yeah, I like to do that too. I guess my main concern is how I am going to deal with keeping the grays covered or at least blended in well. My complexion is caramel colored.

I have light brown hair with blonde fuzzy highlights around my face. I tried to go for the light highlights across the top lengths of my hair to get that light/dark look you see now. It looked great, but I got a lot of breakage from the highlights. And it make my fine hair look so thin. They use a peroxide color to match the fuzzy highlights....bad itea. I won't be doing that again. I just don't really know how to properly take care of colored hair since that was my first experience with it. You can see my highlighted hair in my fotki and see how thin my hair got.

kim said:
Yeah, I like to do that too. I guess my main concern is how I am going to deal with keeping the grays covered or at least blended in well. My complexion is caramel colored.

Here is some info that I found:

The method of coloring depends on how much percentage of gray which can be less than 25%, more than 25%, 50% and above and 100%. If you have less than 25% and it is scattered equally throughout the head a semipermanent color will work in most cases and when properly applied will last about 1-3 weeks or shampoos.

If your hair is less than 30% and you want to cover it well or if you want to go one shade darker than your natural hair color, you will have to use a permanent haircolor but it works like a semi permanent and will last 4-6 weeks or longer. Here is what would work you:

* Mix 1 ounce of the color of your choice with 1 ounce of 10 or 20 developer and 3 ounces of regular shampoo.
* Shake gently but well.
* Allow the bottle to sit with the top off until the formula develops and changes color. Thiswill happen in about 5 minutes so keep an eye on the formula. It must be applied as soon as it develops.
* Apply the formula to all of the hair or the area you wish to cover.
* Set a timer for ten minutes and do not exceed the time limit.
* Rinse well, shampoo once, condition hair and stlye as usual.
* The next application should be a semi-permanent color of the same shade.
* Alternate ever 3-4 weeks as needed.

For hard to color gray

* Increase the developer to 30 volume.
* Use a shade one level lighter than the color you want your hair to be.
* Process up to 45 minutes.
* Check after 20 minutes then every 5 minutes.
* Remove the formula as soon as the hair is ready which may be less than the full 45 minutes allotted time.

If there is just a patch of gray that you need to blend in with the rest of your hair then mix 1 ounce of color with 1 ounce of 20 volume developer and apply it to this area only. The higher percentage of gray, the more teh type of haircolor you choose will have to have hte ability to cover or color your gray. If your hair is coarse it can add to the problem of coloring the hair. If this is the case, you may want to presoften the hair with 2 ounces of a neutral or a clear color mixed with 2 ounces of 20 volume developer.

* Process for 20 minutes.
* Apply the desired color formula also mixed with a 20 volume developer.
* Process for an additional 25 minutes but do not exceed 45 minutes total.
* Check the hair after 10 minutes then every 5 muinutes until completion.
* Remove formula as soon as hair is ready.
* If you find that the hair is not ready, reapply the formula and check a different section in 5 or 10 minutes.

You can also experiment with henna when would result in beautiful auburn highlights.

Last edited:
I recently went to jet black which I love. This was my all time favorite in the early 90's with red lipstick. tee-hee. But I absolutely LOVE highlites. especially golden blond hilites. Looks amazing on my complexion. But since I'm on the healthy hair kick, I have to pass for now.

Back