Dang...dang...dang...Phyto

Faith

Why didn't I try this relaxer SOONER? UGH!!!
My issues right now of lye fried, heat fried hair would not be happening.
The last relaxer I used (Vitale L&B) did a number on my hair...

I wish that I had used this sooner...but I never thought it would work for me and I was scared it would be along the lines of COPA or RIO or along the lines of one thing works for all of them but NOT ME (which did happen with Affirm, Mizani AND Vitale). I guess I shouldn't beat myself over it...lol :look:

I give this relaxer 9 out of 10. 9 because it takes too long to neutralize. I think the water should have been warmer though...hm.
1st neutralization (is that a word?) :3 minutes
2nd: 5 minutes
3rd: 5 minutes
4th: Vitale's for 5 minutes
5th: Phyto 15 minutes

I felt a slight twinge (not tingle) in one spot 15 minutes in BUT when I left that area alone the tingles stopped and I went 30 minutes (went with Sherrylove and ms_jennifer's time). NO BURNS!!! It was awesome...well the spots I smoothed well. YES SMOOTH IT WELL. The smoothed areas are GREAT (and straight) the ones I didn't smooth enough or at all are smooth (tamed) but not straight. BUT unlike with other relaxers I think it will be possible to handle those areas until next relaxer in 3 months. Next time my sister will be applying and smoothing after I have sectioned and banded it.

Weird this about this relaxer...your hair..well MY HAIR feels stronger when WET :shocked: And it's SUPER SOFT when wet and soft when dry.
I found my relaxer for life (unless they discontinue it...)

I don't have pics cause I didn't have time. Not sure if pics will be coming...

Little hair info...as I said above due to CRAPTASTIC lye relaxers (especially Vitale) AND using heat 2x in April (should have known better..my hair CANNOT handle heat at all) my hair is/was fried (brownish-red and too straight) on the ends. So I chopped 3" off on Sunday. I'm at about 25.5" (from hairline back). I don't think I want it longer than 26.5 anyways...so 1" more and I'm done and will maintain it there. Waist length is not for me...as I was whining about last month or so..lol.

Thanks to ms_jennifer, Sherrylove and dogmd for being so kind as to answer ALL my questions with so much patience...lol :kiss:

Last edited:
For some reason I thought you were going natural. You Phyto lovers have me rethinking....hmmmm.

Glad it worked out for you...we still want pics.

senimoni said:
For some reason I thought you were going natural. You Phyto lovers have me rethinking....hmmmm.

Glad it worked out for you...we still want pics.
I was BUT didn't want to give up on my relaxed hair until I had tried THIS relaxer. Because fact is when I'm relaxed I romanticize how my natural hair was and when I go natural I romanticize how relaxed hair was. I just need to learn to deal with what I have instead of always running from it. And for now relaxed hair is it.

oh i am so happy you like the relaxer, faith......yay!!!!!....i hope it continues to work for you, and it's about time you jumped on the phyto bandwagon....smile...

Wow, congrats! I just bought the Index II from Sephora this weekend, and plan to use it next weekend. I can't wait to see how it works out!

Thanks for the thread, and I'm glad you had great results from this relaxer. :D

Wow! Glad you liked it. Your hair will only feel better and better with continued use. I can't wait until my hair is all Phyto and not the other brands I have been using.

Next time see if you can let the neutralizing shampoo sit on your hair for a few minutes. This should hopefully reduce the number of times you shampoo.

Thanks ladies :)

Honi, I let the first 3 washing sit 5 minutes EACH. 4th time was Vitale for another 5minutes and last was Phyto again for 15 min. How long do you let it sit? I really think I should have had warmer water. Hm! Like you I also can't wait to cut the non-Phyto hair out. I already started and cut 3"..lol. I wish I had never picked up a lye relaxer...besides killing my hair it was also HARSH on my scalp. But coming out of 5 years being natural I decided to go with what the "experts" were recommending...

*Mo pops collar and gives Faith a hair hug...*;)

"Welcome....to the Phytorelaxer family gurl....":D

"It is...the shiznit..:grin: "

I'm glad you had a good experience with phyto. I agree neutralizing takes a looong time but it's one drawback....that and the milky reconstructor. I can't wait until all the non-phyto hair is gone either. I think you'll like the consistency if you keep using it.

That's very interesting! Those bright pink suds make me plenty nervous too! LOL

I rinse for a very long time (seems like forever) before my first shampoo and it's still bright pink. I think I do that 2 or 3 times before I let it sit for about 5 minutes or longer (I get out of the shower and put a shower cap on). The color is less intense on the next shampoo but I follow that up with 2 more latherings. Maybe some peoples hair take longer to neutralize. Still a drawback but great relaxer!

Faith said:
Thanks ladies :)

Honi, I let the first 3 washing sit 5 minutes EACH. 4th time was Vitale for another 5minutes and last was Phyto again for 15 min. How long do you let it sit? I really think I should have had warmer water. Hm! Like you I also can't wait to cut the non-Phyto hair out. I already started and cut 3"..lol. I wish I had never picked up a lye relaxer...besides killing my hair it was also HARSH on my scalp. But coming out of 5 years being natural I decided to go with what the "experts" were recommending...

You guys were right - this is an excellent relaxer. I tried the index II for the first time yesterday. I haven't used a no-lye relaxer in years, because it would somehow make my hair feel rough and dry. But as of late, the lye relaxers have been doing same thing and my hair is still dry. I normally use vitale lye relaxer, and while it gets my new growth straight - my hair still feels lifeless and subsequently dry. I just got really tired of having dry, rough, brittle hair and figured I didn't really have anything to lose by trying Phyto. I have 4b type coarse thick hair and this relaxer got my hair very straight (which I like) and didn't remotely burn even though I scratched the mess out of my scalp the day before. My hair came out very smooth, soft and just looked and felt healthier - I noticed an immediate difference. Rarely do I give reviews on products, but for me using this relaxer even though it may be expensive may be an investment well worth the price.

MonaLisa said:
*Mo pops collar and gives Faith a hair hug...*;)

"Welcome....to the Phytorelaxer family gurl....":D

"It is...the shiznit..:grin: "
{{{Mo}}} Thanks babe :)

It is an awesome relaxer but I have a disclaimer: Will REALLY sing its praises in 3 weeks. My hair reverts/looks like it hasn't been relaxed at all with lye relaxers between 1-3 weeks. I'll give Phyto 20 days and then I'll really know it's the shiznit. :lol:

On another note: the relaxer had a relaxer smell before the inductor then barely any afterwards but it was funny that the styling balm smelled MORE like a relaxer than the relaxer did...lol

DahomeyAhosi said:
I'm glad you had a good experience with phyto. I agree neutralizing takes a looong time but it's one drawback....that and the milky reconstructor. I can't wait until all the non-phyto hair is gone either. I think you'll like the consistency if you keep using it.
I mixed the reconstructor with ORS RP and it worked out very well. How long have you been using it?

simone103 said:
You guys were right - this is an excellent relaxer. I tried the index II for the first time yesterday. I haven't used a no-lye relaxer in years, because it would somehow make my hair feel rough and dry. But as of late, the lye relaxers have been doing same thing and my hair is still dry. I normally use vitale lye relaxer, and while it gets my new growth straight - my hair still feels lifeless and subsequently dry. I just got really tired of having dry, rough, brittle hair and figured I didn't really have anything to lose by trying Phyto. I have 4b type coarse thick hair and this relaxer got my hair very straight (which I like) and didn't remotely burn even though I scratched the mess out of my scalp the day before. My hair came out very smooth, soft and just looked and felt healthier - I noticed an immediate difference. Rarely do I give reviews on products, but for me using this relaxer even though it may be expensive may be an investment well worth the price.
Yeah the Vitale made my hair SUPER DRY and ROUGH. Worse relaxer. And you're right the investment is worth it because with hair this soft you may need less of everything else so you'll save in that area.

Hey Am I the only one that Phyto doesn't agree with???????? :ohwell:
Faith, did you gently comb the relaxer while it was in ur hair or did you just leave it in?

ellieuk said:
Hey Am I the only one that Phyto doesn't agree with???????? :ohwell:
Faith, did you gently comb the relaxer while it was in ur hair or did you just leave it in?
I don't comb my hair with relaxer in it...I just used the side of my finger to smooth it; a few short strokes.

What happened when you used Phyto?

I am SO happy for you - Phyto is da bomb!!! I just love it. Word of advice - since you are moving from lye to nolye, your hair might get dryer than usual so you might have to moisturize daily. That is nothing compared to the body and bounce that phyto does to the hair - congratulations on your decision to try it!!!

Faith said:
Why didn't I try this relaxer SOONER? UGH!!!
My issues right now of lye fried, heat fried hair would not be happening.
The last relaxer I used (Vitale L&B) did a number on my hair...

I wish that I had used this sooner...but I never thought it would work for me and I was scared it would be along the lines of COPA or RIO or along the lines of one thing works for all of them but NOT ME (which did happen with Affirm, Mizani AND Vitale). I guess I shouldn't beat myself over it...lol :look:

I give this relaxer 9 out of 10. 9 because it takes too long to neutralize. I think the water should have been warmer though...hm.
1st neutralization (is that a word?) :3 minutes
2nd: 5 minutes
3rd: 5 minutes
4th: Vitale's for 5 minutes
5th: Phyto 15 minutes

I felt a slight twinge (not tingle) in one spot 15 minutes in BUT when I left that area alone the tingles stopped and I went 30 minutes (went with Sherrylove and ms_jennifer's time). NO BURNS!!! It was awesome...well the spots I smoothed well. YES SMOOTH IT WELL. The smoothed areas are GREAT (and straight) the ones I didn't smooth enough or at all are smooth (tamed) but not straight. BUT unlike with other relaxers I think it will be possible to handle those areas until next relaxer in 3 months. Next time my sister will be applying and smoothing after I have sectioned and banded it.

Weird this about this relaxer...your hair..well MY HAIR feels stronger when WET :shocked: And it's SUPER SOFT when wet and soft when dry.
I found my relaxer for life (unless they discontinue it...)

I don't have pics cause I didn't have time. Not sure if pics will be coming...

Little hair info...as I said above due to CRAPTASTIC lye relaxers (especially Vitale) AND using heat 2x in April (should have known better..my hair CANNOT handle heat at all) my hair is/was fried (brownish-red and too straight) on the ends. So I chopped 3" off on Sunday. I'm at about 25.5" (from hairline back). I don't think I want it longer than 26.5 anyways...so 1" more and I'm done and will maintain it there. Waist length is not for me...as I was whining about last month or so..lol.

Thanks to ms_jennifer, Sherrylove and dogmd for being so kind as to answer ALL my questions with so much patience...lol :kiss:

Faith said:
I don't comb my hair with relaxer in it...I just used the side of my finger to smooth it; a few short strokes.

What happened when you used Phyto?

Its more like "what didnt happen when i used phyto". My hair just felt like i had a wash. My hair was under under under processed. I left it in for 30mins.. used the back of a comb to smoothen out (like it says in the instructions). A friend did it for me, and we followed the steps through. Right now, my hair is sooooo dry after using phyto it no longer absorbs moisture.. I dont want to blame phyto cos ive been hearing soo many good reviews... :(

SherryLove said:
oh i am so happy you like the relaxer, faith......yay!!!!!....i hope it continues to work for you, and it's about time you jumped on the phyto bandwagon....smile...

For real. I tried Phyto once but it didn't go well (long story that was totally my fault). I just used it after nine months of stretching. I can't stop touching my hair. I think I will downgrade to index 1 though. My hair is too straight.

ivanay said:
I am SO happy for you - Phyto is da bomb!!! I just love it. Word of advice - since you are moving from lye to nolye, your hair might get dryer than usual so you might have to moisturize daily. That is nothing compared to the body and bounce that phyto does to the hair - congratulations on your decision to try it!!!

Nothing can be drier than what Vitale did...seriously... :(
But I do moisturize 1-2x a day so I'm good ;)

ellieuk said:
Its more like "what didnt happen when i used phyto". My hair just felt like i had a wash. My hair was under under under processed. I left it in for 30mins.. used the back of a comb to smoothen out (like it says in the instructions). A friend did it for me, and we followed the steps through. Right now, my hair is sooooo dry after using phyto it no longer absorbs moisture.. I dont want to blame phyto cos ive been hearing soo many good reviews... :(
How many times did you use it? Was it the Index II? Did you use the reconstructor?
My hair holds more moisture now...it's softer than it was the day before I relaxed. And it loves water/moisture and gets softer the more moisture it has. PLUS I hardly use any products now...I needed lots before and it still felt dry.

glad it worked out for you. :) I enjoy using phyto quite a bit but neutralizing is a :censored: though. Before I wash, I rinse with really warm water, then I use a low PH conditioner (like 5-10 minutes) then I wash. I always let the neutralizer sit for 5 minutes as well. So for me its 5-7 washings before its all out of my head.

I go 30 minutes from application time to rinse out but will add 3-6 minutes if I have to. I think its the MSM doing that to my hair.

and because phyto is so gentle I'm able to use a demi color directly after relaxing (as long as I don't use heat, its all good)

I ALWAYS mix the reconstructor (cause its not exactly all that great by itself:ohwell: ) with an ORS Pak and some oils as well as a low ph conditioner.

-A

EllieK,

Your not the only one. I keep posting about this, but I'm just really surprised. B/c it was only after about 6 months on Phyto II that my hair started acting weird.

I just don't understand why it wasn't like this from the beginning? and I'm only now realizing it might be the Phyto and not something I'm doing. I MIGHT try it one more time though. Last time I put in olive oil and did not go all the way, but even that said, before THAT time I wasn't putting olive oil in it and still getting these same results (dry, underprocessed, frizzy).

How long do you guys wait before washing your hair? I'm wondering if it's reversion due to washing too soon? Like would 3 days be too soon?

jackie1277 said:
EllieK,

Your not the only one. I keep posting about this, but I'm just really surprised. B/c it was only after about 6 months on Phyto II that my hair started acting weird.

I just don't understand why it wasn't like this from the beginning? and I'm only now realizing it might be the Phyto and not something I'm doing. I MIGHT try it one more time though. Last time I put in olive oil and did not go all the way, but even that said, before THAT time I wasn't putting olive oil in it and still getting these same results (dry, underprocessed, frizzy).

How long do you guys wait before washing your hair? I'm wondering if it's reversion due to washing too soon? Like would 3 days be too soon?

Read this thread I posted yesterday regarding my questions on using heat after applying Phyto. Atlien11 posted this reply:

I think most relaxers advise not to use direct heat after getting a relaxer in order to prevent the strands from being further damaged, however most of us do it anyway because we want to show off our freshly permed hair. I know some ladies who just put their hair in a bun a for a few days after their touch up and then straigten it the following week. I have used phyto for my last 4 touchups and afterwards have gotten a rollerset and then flat-ironed it out (i try to stay away from the blowfryer). I havent seen any ill affects. I would never use a hotcomb on it either.

I did talk to a phyto rep and she recommended not to wash it for at least 3 days afterwards. Something about it opening the cuticle back up and it reverting quicker between touch-ups. Not sure if its true or not.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=1483177#post1483177

Another suggestion would be to call them and find out.

HTH

Although I'm always reading this forum, I just became a member today!

Anyhow, I've been convinced to try out the PhytoRelaxer. I've never done my touch-up at home before so I called for a salon that does it. I'm 8 weeks post relaxer (lye), with ~inch of new growth...I hope it goes well...I'm more worried about the long term results. Does anyone know whether 1 inch is enough for the first touchup?

I'll update my Fotki with pics afterward and post the web address/password!

Last edited:
Denim And Leather said:
Read this thread I posted yesterday regarding my questions on using heat after applying Phyto. Atlien11 posted this reply:

I think most relaxers advise not to use direct heat after getting a relaxer in order to prevent the strands from being further damaged, however most of us do it anyway because we want to show off our freshly permed hair. I know some ladies who just put their hair in a bun a for a few days after their touch up and then straigten it the following week. I have used phyto for my last 4 touchups and afterwards have gotten a rollerset and then flat-ironed it out (i try to stay away from the blowfryer). I havent seen any ill affects. I would never use a hotcomb on it either.

I did talk to a phyto rep and she recommended not to wash it for at least 3 days afterwards. Something about it opening the cuticle back up and it reverting quicker between touch-ups. Not sure if its true or not.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=1483177#post1483177

Another suggestion would be to call them and find out.

HTH

I don't know about the reversion, since I've never had it,but I always make a habit of waiting 4 days after a fresh relaxer to wash. I still will rinse my hair, because I really sweat like no tomorrow when I workout, but I use a low PH conditioner anytime I do that (I think thats always the best idea anyway)

So it may be ok to do that. (but I can only go by my own experiences to know thats what works for me) But there maybe something to washing with shampoo that soon.

Since I might use heat 1-2 times a year, avoiding it after a relaxer isn't a big deal either, and since I implimented that I have never had severely dry hair. It could be for that reason alone that I've never had ill effects from using a demi on relax day. (I know that some can find them to be particularly drying)

-A

yes Your right, I'm going to call those people and get to the bottom of this!

If I could just get on their website....

Everytime I go on its out of service or whatever..

Back