Daily buns and breakage

kim

Is anyone experiencing breakage from wearing your hair in buns everyday? I have notice breakage around the top and middle of my hair.

Sounds like your hair is breaking from the cinch (sp?) area. The strands that your holder has the most contact with, the outer area. I used to wear ponytails and buns long time ago and when I identified them as the culprit to my breakage and stunted growth I never put my hair in a pony or bun again. My hair has strived without them. If I do an updo, it's a light french twist or twist and clip.

Do not use a hair band when you bun, use only bobby pins or good hair day pins to hold the bun. Most hair bands are too tight, for me it's not even worth it to use a scrunchy, I am too tempted to twist it too tight. You can still bun you will just have to work out a low-tension way to achieve that style.

My first semester of freshman year, I had an 8 AM class every morning and didn't have time to do my hair every morning. I would pin it up with a big clip. My hair broke off SOOOO badly. I had get it cut in a short bob.

Have you tried hair pins? They're bigger than bobby pins and they don't seem to pull the hair so much. I use them myself, you can buy them at tenderheaded.com.

I wear buns all the time without breakage. One tip, is to vary the position of the bun on your head, that way the same hair aren't constantly stressed in the same spots. Also, don't make your bun too tight.

I noticed a lot of breakage on my ends when I bunned daily. I had to stop tucking them into the band, and using hair pins.

msbrown76 said:
I noticed a lot of breakage on my ends when I bunned daily. I had to stop tucking them into the band, and using hair pins.

I noticed the same thing...Now I do a loose french twist with a clip.

I had the same problem. My ends were a mess and I couldn't figure out why since I was bunning so much. Now I just do a french twist with a clip so that there is no tension.

Maybe it's the ponytail holder? Too tight maybe? Some of the ladies recommend the satin scrunchy at tenderhead and that's what I use to put my hair in a very loose bun now.

camellia said:
Have you tried hair pins? They're bigger than bobby pins and they don't seem to pull the hair so much. I use them myself, you can buy them at tenderheaded.com.

I wear buns all the time without breakage. One tip, is to vary the position of the bun on your head, that way the same hair aren't constantly stressed in the same spots. Also, don't make your bun too tight.

yep that's it right there, you have to change positions if you don't you will see alot of breakage.

Thanks Ladies for all the great suggestions!! I think I will try using a clip instead. I totally agree with moving the bun to different positions, because I tend to put it in the same spot everyday. And I usually do my bun tightly, and then pin the ends with a bobby pin. I have noticed that my ends are raggedy looking, so I bought the really big pins to use. I think I will end up cutting my hair, which disappoints me because bunning my hair is what got me to BSL. Now I feel like I'll have to start all over. Thanks again ladies!!

imstush said:
Maybe it's the ponytail holder? Too tight maybe? Some of the ladies recommend the satin scrunchy at tenderhead and that's what I use to put my hair in a very loose bun now.

ITA a satin scrunchy should help as long as you don't pull your hair to tight.

Back