Cute Phony Bun

Sasha Fierce

Hi Ladies,

Where can I find a cute phony bun? Most of those (that I've seen) in the BSS look a little too synthetic and shiny.

Also, how do you attach it to your head? I would use my own hair on one of those styrofoam donuts, but I am trying to avoid too much brushing and manipulation.

I will be working in a high containment laboratory where I will have to shower each time I exit. I'm also a little worried about washing my hair more frequently than once a week and having to do it while on the fly while at work. Not sure yet how many days out of the week I will be in this particular lab but I want to be prepared. Any tips you all may have for this situation will be much appreciated!

So you will be washing your hair every time you leave the lab?

I would not worry about the phony bun in that case. That's my preference though. Perhaps you can opt for one of those cute "bun mittens".....I don't know what they are really called, but that's what they look like to me. You know those things that people use to cover their buns? Good luck on your search.

thanks tt.

on some days i will have to go into the bsl3 lab and will have to take a shower upon exiting. other days i will be in the other labs which dont require this. i wont have to go in everyday but i am not sure of the actual frequency yet.

i was planning to air dry after washing in lab and then when i go to work the next day, i would have the hair brushed back under the phony bun so i wont have to apply heat etc. to have a decent looking style.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies :) I am definitely gonna check out each of these links and head back to the bss to look for the one mentioned here.

I just bought one from the BSS today that wasn't shiny. But I know what you mean. I usually just take a pack of kanekalon hair and make a braid out of it. Then I pin around my own hair to form a bun. That way you have control of how you want it to look. And you can get a pack of hair for $1 and some change. Here's a picture of one of my buns:

bun-1.jpg

ETA: It wasn't that shiny in person. The flash always makes my hair look shiny but it's not shiny in real life.

Last edited:
I made my own out of human hair wefts sewn together
on a ribbon... or you can buy one from HISANDHER or get MANE CLIP

WOW!! Thanks for the links!!! :yep:

Also...I'm also curious exactly how you make your own phony ponies as well!!!! Wish there was a step by step visual tutorial somewhere....

I just bought one from the BSS today that wasn't shiny. But I know what you mean. I usually just take a pack of kanekalon hair and make a braid out of it. Then I pin around my own hair to form a bun. That way you have control of how you want it to look. And you can get a pack of hair for $1 and some change. Here's a picture of one of my buns:

BMORE,
As easy as you make this process sound....I wish there was a step by step so that I can further visualize how you do this. What I'm picturing is that I braid the hair and rap it around the base of my pony....but what happens to the middle section where the real hair is showing??? Guess I just can't fully grasp the concept here... :ohwell:

bun-1.jpg

ETA: It wasn't that shiny in person. The flash always makes my hair look shiny but it's not shiny in real life.

This is a very pretty bun and the shine is a nice natural shine...not like some of the synthetic almost plastic lookin buns. I am really feeling the option of creating my own bun so that I can have control over the look :yep:

Back