Current victims and survivors of relaxer run off damage- what do you use to protect..

gymfreak336

For the ladies that have gone through dealing with thin ends for relaxer run off damage, how did you get through it. I finally got to shoulder length and now I feel like I need to cut off 1-2 inches to help get rid of these ends. I don't want to lose my shoulder length status but they are going to have to go. Any suggestions? Should I trim it all off now?

I normally use a cheapie conditioner on my previously relaxed hair but it doesn't seem to be enough. What do you use to protect your hair?

Re: Current victims and survivors of relaxer run off damage- what do you use to prote

I haven't had that type of damage, because when I get a relaxer, affirm protecto is used throughout my hair. It is hard to buy, but I have seen affirm Preservo for the fiberguard relaxers in BSSes. I myself use Elucence Protective Barrier Balm on the already relaxed hair, which is another chemical block, before I get my touchup. I would baby my ends, keep them moisturized and use a good reconstructor/protein conditioner with each relaxer and follow with the moisturizing deep conditioner. HTH

Re: Current victims and survivors of relaxer run off damage- what do you use to prote

I haven't had that type of damage, because when I get a relaxer, affirm protecto is used throughout my hair. It is hard to buy, but I have seen affirm Preservo for the fiberguard relaxers in BSSes. I myself use Elucence Protective Barrier Balm on the already relaxed hair, which is another chemical block, before I get my touchup. I would baby my ends, keep them moisturized and use a good reconstructor/protein conditioner with each relaxer and follow with the moisturizing deep conditioner. HTH

Thanks, that helps alot. I totally forgot that elucence had a barrier type product. I have been looking high and low for protecto and couldn't find it. I am going to their website now to check it out. Thanks girl:yep:

Gym, in addition to some cheapie conditioner, I would coat them with a thick layer of vaseline/petroleum jelly. I suggest doing this AFTER you have already applied the relaxer since it will be hard to apply the relaxer with petro/vaseline coated ends.

Most of those "protective bases" are just petroleum jelly and fragrance anyway. I wouldn't waste my money

Gym, in addition to some cheapie conditioner, I would coat them with a thick layer of vaseline/petroleum jelly. I suggest doing this AFTER you have already applied the relaxer since it will be hard to apply the relaxer with petro/vaseline coated ends.

Most of those "protective bases" are just petroleum jelly and fragrance anyway. I wouldn't waste my money

Thanks for the tip. That makes alot of sense. Do you apply it after you have smoothed the relaxer to protect you come rinse time?

Hi - Dont trim so much off. Remember, you can even start smaller maybe 1/4 or 1/8 and inch. You would be surprised to see how taking just a snip can work wonders.

If you are leaning toward putting down the scissors, try deep conditioning for no less than 30 min weekly, if not already, alternating with a protein and moisturizing conditioner . Every 6-8 weeks use a heavy protien conditioner like Aphogee or Dudley's DRC.

Baggying helped my hair turn around. I did this for three months at least three days out of the week.

Airdrying and protective styles also helped protect my ends from the dreadful ehat.

I did this for six months and got these pretty postive resuls. My hair was torn up when I started my hair care journey See comparison link below:

http://public.fotki.com/serenitybreeze/serenitys_progress/comparison.html

Good Luck

There's a lot of good advice here! :yep:

I definitely agree with putting some petroleum jelly on the ends. But, about a week before a retouch, I also give myself a good protein treatment to strengthen my hair. Also, baggying the ends works VERY well between treatments.

But the truly basic thing I do (if nothing else) is relax less often to prevent run-off damage: I only relax three, maybe four, times a year.

To protect my ends I use something with protein in it. I use either Profectiv Breakfree or Silicon Mix Leave-in the night before my relaxer and also right before I relax.

Hi - Dont trim so much off. Remember, you can even start smaller maybe 1/4 or 1/8 and inch. You would be surprised to see how taking just a snip can work wonders.

If you are leaning toward putting down the scissors, try deep conditioning for no less than 30 min weekly, if not already, alternating with a protein and moisturizing conditioner . Every 6-8 weeks use a heavy protien conditioner like Aphogee or Dudley's DRC.

Baggying helped my hair turn around. I did this for three months at least three days out of the week.

Airdrying and protective styles also helped protect my ends from the dreadful ehat.

I did this for six months and got these pretty postive resuls. My hair was torn up when I started my hair care journey See comparison link below:

http://public.fotki.com/serenitybreeze/serenitys_progress/comparison.html

Good Luck

Thanks for your tips. Your hair looks amazing.

There's a lot of good advice here! :yep:

I definitely agree with putting some petroleum jelly on the ends. But, about a week before a retouch, I also give myself a good protein treatment to strengthen my hair. Also, baggying the ends works VERY well between treatments.

But the truly basic thing I do (if nothing else) is relax less often to prevent run-off damage: I only relax three, maybe four, times a year.[/SIZE]

I hate stretching, I really do, but I might have to try to stretch again. The most I have gone is 10 weeks but I really would like to do 12 or more. I am going to do a light trim tonight and reacess my situation after my Duo Tex treatment tuesday.

To protect my ends I use something with protein in it. I use either Profectiv Breakfree or Silicon Mix Leave-in the night before my relaxer and also right before I relax.

I didn't even think about the night before. Thanks for tip. I think I still have some breakfree too.

Check out this tread about using silk proteins before relaxing. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817 I tried it on my last touchup by applying a heavy coating of nexxus serum with contans silk proteins, 'cones, panthenol, etc. on my previously relaxed hair, especially the last couple of inches about an hour before relaxing. My hair came out great and I intend to do this each time I relax. HTH!

Check out this tread about using silk proteins before relaxing. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=112817 I tried it on my last touchup by applying a heavy coating of nexxus serum with contans silk proteins, 'cones, panthenol, etc. on my previously relaxed hair, especially the last couple of inches about an hour before relaxing. My hair came out great and I intend to do this each time I relax. HTH!

Thanks for the link. I totally forgot about that thread. I have used silk protein conditioner from motions before but I forgot about the liquid silk aminos.

OT: I love your name. Neroli is my favorite essential oil. Everyone says I smell like fruit loop sugar when I wear it.

Great tips!!

OT.... Gym ur so cute it great to match a face or a head to the name

Thanks for the link. I totally forgot about that thread. I have used silk protein conditioner from motions before but I forgot about the liquid silk aminos.

OT: I love your name. Neroli is my favorite essential oil. Everyone says I smell like fruit loop sugar when I wear it.

You're welcome. Yep, neroli is my favorite fragrance too. I love it itself or mixed with my next favorite fragrance - jasmine . . . . yummy!

Great tips!!

OT.... Gym ur so cute it great to match a face or a head to the name

Thanks MissMadaam, I hope to have some more close up hair shots but not until I work on the ends a little more.

Gymmie! So that's what you look like!! You ARE a cutie!! :drunk:

What I use to protect my hair (and my moms) prior to relaxing is Cantu BreakCure applying all the previously relaxed hair (unless I'm doing a corrective). Been doing this for about a year now, a defnite staple in my regimen when relaxing. :yep:

Gymmie! So that's what you look like!! You ARE a cutie!! :drunk:

What I use to protect my hair (and my moms) prior to relaxing is Cantu BreakCure applying all the previously relaxed hair (unless I'm doing a corrective). Been doing this for about a year now, a defnite staple in my regimen when relaxing. :yep:

Thanks for the recommendation. I use that on my boyfriends brothers hair when wash it. Thanks for the compliment too. Yall can really boost a self-esteem. I will have more photos of me and family to post soon since my sister is getting married on the 18th.

Thanks for the tip. That makes alot of sense. Do you apply it after you have smoothed the relaxer to protect you come rinse time?

Yes ma'am. Since there is already a small amount of oil/cheapie that I put on before I apply the relaxer I am good. I add the vaseline after I have worked it through because it is hard to work it through with that goopey stuff on the ends.

Yes ma'am. Since there is already a small amount of oil/cheapie that I put on before I apply the relaxer I am good. I add the vaseline after I have worked it through because it is hard to work it through with that goopey stuff on the ends.

Thanks. Now why didn't I ask this question 4 months ago...You live and you learn.

It seem like no matter how much I trimmed my ends and took care of them they always ended up dry and damaged and I'm starting to realize this is probably the problem. When I relax the run off keeps damaging my ends again. Thanks for this thread I'll be trying some of these tips when I relax next month.

Back