Curly perms and lack of washing ?

DahomeyAhosi

Hi all,

I had a curl (everything from soft sheen to wave nouveau) when I was young and I remember that my stylist told me to never wash my hair between perms, which were every 2-3 months. I know that sounds disgusting but I followed her rules since I was a kid and didn't know any better and got amazing growth perhaps in spite of her direction (I was below bra strap) . Was anyone else given these instructions ? When I switched to a relaxer my new hairdresser couldn't believe what the old one told me.

My best friend in the UK didn't wash her jheri curl either until she went to the salon and had her stylist wash it for her. And yes her hair grew long. I attribute that success to the moisture from the activator/gel that kept her strands from drying and breaking, and the fact that she didn't apply anything like grease to her scalp which would've clogged her pores. I'm not sure about clogging from dirt...why that didn't seem to pose a problem. But there you are. Another success story that shows not everyone will get there by the same method.
scratchchin.gif

Hmmm..now there's a point....
My aunt has a Jherri curl too and she doesn't wash her hair that often. Yet her hair has grown quite long (It's down to the middle of her back when pulled). She doesn't even deep condition.
shocked.gif

I got the most growth ever the first 6 months of this year. I had braids in and only washed once every two months. Had a horrible mishap when I tried to wash them -- I watched $180 slide down the drain! So remembering that my mom's hair grew a lot while she was hospitalized I decided to leave mine alone. I cleaned my scalp with the ORS herbal cleanse and sprayed the braids with braid spray. Well I think I got 5 inches in 6 months which is a lot for me.

Back