4 My Sisters With Curly Perms...

I also had a perm back in the day - it was low maintenance and my hair grew like weeds! To be honest I really liked it and only gave it up as everyone was relaxing and a perm was considered old school!

One thing I did do was sleep with a shower cap under my head scarf and I never had any moisture issues. Everyone I knew who also had a perm did this and dryness was never an issue
My hair is thick 4b and as long as the stylist rodded it correctly (correct size rods and enough tension) the curls would always be bouncy. I also only washed every other week. The first day or so after washing the hair could be a little dry but with the moisturiser and cap the moisture balance was soon restored.

Because the curly perms are now rare I would choose a stylist carefully as not many seem to know how to perm properly and some of the comments made by curly perm wearers would suggest that not everyone understands how to take care of a perm. I have often been tempted to go back to the perm but would need to be 100% sure that the stylist was accomplished in this area first.

If u don't mind my asking, what type did you have? Did you use the products from the curly perm for maintenance or some other brand? It's good 2 hear a positive experience. Thanks...

If u don't mind my asking, what type did you have? Did you use the products from the curly perm for maintenance or some other brand? It's good 2 hear a positive experience. Thanks...

No problem - I had several over a period of about 10 years. Sof N Free, Care Free Curl, Wave Nouveau. My hair is thick and I found the best moisturisers were Care Free Curl.
When I had a curl it was recommended to keep it mainly as a curl - only had blow outs and straightened once or twice a year. I think some of the issues people have had with the WN is straigtening it too much and not moisturising when it is curly.....however this is just just my opinion

I'd have to dig out a picture, my hair is transitioning from a relaxer, now. Noone thought I wore a curl, my hair was never limp or stringy...i knew people whose hair was that way, but my hair was always super thick and full to the ends.

I liked the wave by design a lot. I liked it better than the WN. It makes ur hair a lot softer. I also heard the chemicals wasn't as strong. As for hair products I've experimented w. A lot. What worked the best for me was soft n free, I also used BB's castor oil (sorry can't remember the exact name) sealed my ends w. Oils. Also the hawiiaan silk worked very well for me too.

And I started using a shower cap and that helped A LOT but still... I didn't get the exact balance I wanted a lot of the time.

ALSO a big issue and my only real issue w. It was that I live in fl. N its often very humid. A lot of the times when im outside for a long time it ruins my hair. It gets VERY greasy and wet. NOT a good look

I'd have to dig out a picture, my hair is transitioning from a relaxer, now. Noone thought I wore a curl, my hair was never limp or stringy...i knew people whose hair was that way, but my hair was always super thick and full to the ends.
I would love to see a picture. Thanks so much!

What's the maintenance required for this style? Is it wash n go?
Basically it is WNG plus moisturizing.

I liked the wave by design a lot. I liked it better than the WN. It makes ur hair a lot softer. I also heard the chemicals wasn't as strong. As for hair products I've experimented w. A lot. What worked the best for me was soft n free, I also used BB's castor oil (sorry can't remember the exact name) sealed my ends w. Oils. Also the hawiiaan silk worked very well for me too.

ALSO a big issue and my only real issue w. It was that I live in fl. N its often very humid. A lot of the times when im outside for a long time it ruins my hair. It gets VERY greasy and wet. NOT a good look
After spending most of the day pouring over the curly perm threads on BHM, I know I def wouldn't try the WN. Honestly the only other one I would even consider trying based on reviews is the CFC. As for the humidity I guess I'm going 2 have 2 figure something out b/c Georgia is very humid in the summer.:ohwell:

Nakia, can you post pics of ladies with Wave by Design curly perms? I'd love to see what that looks like. Is it very dry-looking, tight curls...or moist and wavy..? Thanks, I'm not familiar with this and did a search to no avail. I even went on the Design Essentials site and saw nothing. ;(

Thanks~

Yeah,it is just like any other chemical process.:rolleyes: If you're not going to keep up with it, then don't get one. I loved the wave nouveau. My hair grew so fast with it . Now I know that I can still get the same kind of growth by using the glycerine enhanced products. The wave nouveau is not like the original jheri curl. I did not leave "juice" anywhere like the Coming To America movie!:lachen: It is a double process so your hair has the potential to be more fragile. Use with caution and care!:yep:

Nakia, can you post pics of ladies with Wave by Design curly perms? I'd love to see what that looks like. Is it very dry-looking, tight curls...or moist and wavy..? Thanks, I'm not familiar with this and did a search to no avail. I even went on the Design Essentials site and saw nothing. ;(

Thanks~
Honestly I've searched for pictures myself. The only picture I've seen of one is on a Design Essentials calendar that my stylist has hanging in her shop. The model has a very short cut & her hair is dyed a real pretty reddish auburn color. It doesn't look wet @ all. Really it looks like a texturizer to me & without knowing it was a curl, that's what I would've guessed it was.

However, I've been told that a curly perm is a curly perm & the difference in results comes from how it is rodded. Strange enough, my stylist doesn't use perm rods, she uses flexi rods instead.

Per the advisement of my stylist & others, I know that it's near impossible to replicate the looks of other curls on any one head & that individual results vary. However, my stylist wants to know what I have in mind as far as what I want my hair to look like. I've shown her the pic that I posted earlier in this thread & I plan to show her this one, too. What do you think?

Is CFC permanent like Wave Nouveau? I've been reading up on it on BHM but I'm still confused.

Yes the Care Free Curl is just another curl system. People like to think that Wave Nouveau is different & more modern but from what I'm learning, they're all basically the same - see my response above.

Once my hair is longer (w/the Wave) & I have proven to my stylist that I'm going to do what it takes to keep my hair healthy (one of her concerns), then I want to try this two tone color look:

Sorry this ended up so big.

kelis_1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever get the curl Nakia?I saw a patient at the hospital today with beautiful curls,she told me that it was a curly perm...so I had to jump on here and see if anyone has one.

Back