Curly Hair is Unprofessional

wyldcurlz

I wore what I thought was a beautiful braid-out style to work today. it was full but (not to full) and had beautiful curly texture. All day at work I got stares from "my peers" and one client even commented and I quote "well...that's nice, awh...hair...different, but nice." All I could say in my state of shock was "oh, yes. I have huge curly hair." (honestly, it wasn't that big, it was just typical braidout, soft tendrills, a little on the full side, but not WOW! HUGE!)

I guess I'm a little offended. In my profession everyone has sleek straight hair to go along with they're sleek tailored, black suits and heels. After today, I'm self conscious about wearing braidouts (or any curly style) to work.

On top of that my stylist (a black man) said that "I'm a professional person and I need a professional look" and that curls and braidouts aren't it!!

What's the deal? Anyone else encounter this problem? Any way around it. I keep running into road blocks on my way to healthy growth. Its frustrating!!

Pictures please. Because curly dos can be either sophisticated or casual. I need to see it.

Ask a close friend for advice. You really don't want to ruin your professional image because you're too close to the style to see it's inappropriateness.

But if you truly feel it's acceptable and professional to you , don't let those office chicks intimidate you into conformity. You can be your own person and don't have to fit into the status quo.

wyldcurlz said:
On top of that my stylist (a black man) said that "I'm a professional person and I need a professional look" and that curls and braidouts aren't it!!

Why does this only apply to Black women? White and Hispanic women wear their hair naturally curly/wavy all the time and no one blinks. And why is it that no one questions the person who says ethnic hair is not all right, not professional in the workplace? Says who---who made that rule---someone with straight hair? Even if your hair was as big as could be, what makes that unprofessional? It's hair, and it is your texture; it's not like you were wearing a bright red Bozo the clown wig. Saying your hair/texture is unprofessional is like saying that your nose, or skin color is unprofessional. I understand where this viewpoint is coming from, but it's not right, and it implies that straight hair is superior and more favored to textured/naturally ethnic hair. I won't even elaborate on what that implies.

Actually white women and other ethnics have been told the same, but its a bunch of bunk... how about a curly updo? I definitely think curly can be classic and professional

Brownie said:
Why does this only apply to Black women? White and Hispanic women wear their hair naturally curly/wavy all the time and no one blinks. And why is it that no one questions the person who says ethnic hair is not all right, not professional in the workplace? Says who---who made that rule---someone with straight hair? Even if your hair was as big as could be, what makes that unprofessional? It's hair, and it is your texture; it's not like you were wearing a bright red Bozo the clown wig. Saying your hair/texture is unprofessional is like saying that your nose, or skin color is unprofessional. I understand where this viewpoint is coming from, but it's not right, and it implies that straight hair is superior and more favored to textured/naturally ethnic hair. I won't even elaborate on what that implies.

Very good points made. :yep:

I love my curls. I think big curly hair can represent confidence and power. I can't imagine conforming to a straight look just because its 'considered' professional.

Brownie said:
One of my co workers actually told me she did not like my hair it looked like Ronald Mc Donald I wanted to tell her I hated her thick latino accent and hook nose but I took a deep breath.Thank god I work in the fashion district and we can do whatever we want I cannot wait till next year to wear a huge afro to work.It is not unprofessional people just do not know how to deal with blak women and their hair in anyother state than relaxed... it's their problem not yours. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

A professional look is whatever you make it to be. I admit I was a bit nervous the first time I sported a puff to work, but that feeling quickly subsided ;) Braidouts are not something I consider unprofessional. I work in a professional environment and I have sported braidouts etc.... not once have I felt my hair did not match my clothes. You have to be confident with whatever style you choose to wear, don't feel the need to conform to what others think is professional

Ok, I think it depends on how much time it appears to have taken, and whether it is at all "distracting" to clients, or other professionals. I DON'T think it's a racial thing at all. I DO think it's a gender thing, however.
There are certain styles that are not acceptable in a very conservative work atmosphere. (You wouldn't want your attorney sporting a purple mohwak in court, would you?)

That being said, my guess is you have a good handle on how conservative your work is. If anyone, I would ask your BOSS, not your co-worker, if your 'do is acceptable. And anything that overwhelms the rest of your look is a no-no as well. (There is an attorney I work with ocassionally that wears more makeup than Tammy Faye and Bozo the Clown combined. It's distracting and unprofessional, in my opinion.)

Tell your co-worker that her unsolicited opinions are unprofessional, and that she should keep them to herself and not cross boundaries.

A

I wear my hair in a curly updo most of the time to the office, but other times like tomorrow I have a meeting with a new client, so tonight I'll wash and blow dry my hair and wear it in a straight buy in a french roll.

cincybrownsugar said:
A professional look is whatever you make it to be. I admit I was a bit nervous the first time I sported a puff to work, but that feeling quickly subsided ;) Braidouts are not something I consider unprofessional. I work in a professional environment and I have sported braidouts etc.... not once have I felt my hair did not match my clothes. You have to be confident with whatever style you choose to wear, don't feel the need to conform to what others think is professional

Amen to that!

And this dialog:
"well...that's nice, awh...hair...different, but nice."
"oh, yes. I have huge curly hair."

...is probably how it would've gone with me too, but I wouldn't have felt any negative way about it. Let whoever has issues deal with them alone.

I am the only black person at my job. I've gone to work with braids, cornrows, twists (and they were not even long or hanging down nice and cute like say AFashionSlave's might), afro puffs...you name it. And each time, I've held my head high and acted like I'm now the ruling trendsetter in town. You carry yourself with that attitude and even if people don't like it at first soon start to appreciate it; it grows on them because the confidence you exude makes them question their own sense of style.

And just so you get an idea as to how you can get away with anything if you carry yourself like you are the ish, I'ma share sth with you: Remember the twists I mentioned? Well, I usually curled them into a nice do that I got compliments on. But one day, I didn't have time to, went to sleep and woke up with twists going every which way. Didn't feel like tying one of my elaborate headdress dos, so I wet my twists to get them "mobile" then stretched them into two pony tails. Don't forget we're not talking long dangling twists; I had to stretch them to get them into ponies for crying out loud! And while they initially dangled a little while wet, they didn't move much by the time they dried and whether they lay nice and hanging down in the end is a whole other TBD issue. And even when I was called Pippy Longstocking, I beamed and said, "I wondered who'd be the first to get it" as if that was the idea behind my look. By the end of the day, everyone agreed it was a cute look. (They might've been lying but I made it an acceptable office do, crazy as it was. So if I feel like rocking it, no one will even give it a second thought.) Wanna see how wild it was? Click here to see what I'm talking about. I rocked that with a nice suit and matching accessories. LOL You're welcome to laugh coz I did and still do. Mr Mine and I call that look "the Crazy Pigtail Woman do".

Last edited:
I have plans on doing the same exact thing (wearing my 3B hair in a curly do as it gets further along during my stretch) and I am already preparing for my little office of 12 hicks to comment and say something crazy!!! I am the only black person and whenever I even wear something that they think is strange (for crying out loud, they think me wearing a suede shirt with jeans on casual fridays is strange; guess they've never seen a suede shirt!!) they are all up in arms. For the year and a half that I have been working here, I have always worn my hair straight. When I was going to the salong, I would get a roller wrap and by the next day after i have wrapped and slept on it, it still has body but for the most part is straight. Since I stopped going to the salon and doing it myself for the past 5 weeks, the very first time I did a VERY curly rollerset (big rollers but still curly), when I came to work, they had this look like "did you get a perm?" (they were talking about a curly perm that they would put in their hair). Mind you, the hair was soft, silky, bouncy, but just had more curls than they were used to. So just from that, I already have a feeling what their response will be when I do a braidout.....When I rock it, I will just hold my head high and act like THEY have a problem, not me.....!!!! (can't wait til the summertime rolls around again, so I can come in with the "wet" look after just washing!!)

Maybe this is just me, but I think wearing long hair down is unprofessional. I work in a hospital and I hate seeing people leaning over patients with their hair in their face. I think wearing long hair up is much more professional.

caligirl said:
Maybe this is just me, but I think wearing long hair down is unprofessional. I work in a hospital and I hate seeing people leaning over patients with their hair in their face. I think wearing long hair up is much more professional.

I think that based on the fact that you work in a healthcare environment, it makes a big difference. When I go in for a check-up, I don't want the nurses and doctors leaning all up in me with hair falling in, just like when I go to a restaurant, I don't want my server flipping her hair all over my plate. :lol: However, in a different environment, I think naturally curly hair, afros, neat, kept braids, whatever...can be totally professional.

As long as it doesn't violate any company standards, or cause you to feel like you're compromising who you are, I don't see a problem with most hairstyles. Some people just feel as if they're the authority on every thing. We have to remember to take their opinions with a grain of salt.

wyldcurlz said:
I wore what I thought was a beautiful braid-out style to work today. it was full but (not to full) and had beautiful curly texture. All day at work I got stares from "my peers" and one client even commented and I quote "well...that's nice, awh...hair...different, but nice." All I could say in my state of shock was "oh, yes. I have huge curly hair." (honestly, it wasn't that big, it was just typical braidout, soft tendrills, a little on the full side, but not WOW! HUGE!)

I guess I'm a little offended. In my profession everyone has sleek straight hair to go along with they're sleek tailored, black suits and heels. After today, I'm self conscious about wearing braidouts (or any curly style) to work.

What's the deal? Anyone else encounter this problem? Any way around it. I keep running into road blocks on my way to healthy growth. Its frustrating!!

Awww sorry girlie. ((((Wylddcurlz))))

You know, the same thing sort of happened to me at work. Except it was a black MALE co-worker who made the comment!

I was about 11 weeks post relaxer, and so I wanted to do something different with my hair, but still keep it from breaking at the demarcation line.

So, the night before I had washed & conditioned my hair, and then tied it up in bantu knots and slept with a scarf. In the morning, my hair had nice waves in it when I took the knots down. I usually wear my hair back or in some kind of protective bun, but I was feeling like putting my hair down that day so I wore it out and wavy.

Well, needless to say some black male co-worker walked into my office and when he saw my hair he was like: "WHOAH!!! Rough night eh?? You look like Miss Tina Turner!" as he chuckled away. I was actually astonished and kind of hurt because I thought I looked really nice! In fact, I got compliments from some female co-workers (black AND white) on my hair that day, so I don't know what his problem was.

Even my mom has sometimes frowned upon my curly do's (the Bohemian look as she likes to call it). I don't know why people are so afraid of black curly hair! Sheesh! You'd think our hair wasn't washed or clean or something...when we KNOW that we women probably wash our hair on this board more than most!

I think it all goes back to Afros in the 70's and what that stood for in history. Maybe some people still look at black natural hair in that way. Rebellion or some kind of movement. I don't know. All I know is that I'm going to continue to wear my hair the way I want to wear it. I like the diversity of my hair, and I'm not going to just shrink like a violet just because some idiot decides to make a rude comment. :nono:

This weekend, my Mom commented that with my braids I look just like I did as a "little girl". She meant it as a compliment, but as a 30-something WOMAN, this was not look I was aiming for. :cool:

Straighten hair is still the norm for Black women, so some may just identify natural or curly texture with a more juvenile, thus "unprofessional" look. I tend to see more Naturals (all fabulous styles) on teens or younger people (such as GWU students).

It's really difficult to say without a picture, but I've heard many white and latino women discussing curly hair as being unprofessional in certain settings, especially it's not tamed, half up half down or some other style. Heck there are people that think long hair with layers are unprofessional and that hair should be shoulder length with non descript styling.

Brownie said:

SleekandBouncy said:
It's really difficult to say without a picture, but I've heard many white and latino women discussing curly hair as being unprofessional in certain settings, especially it's not tamed, half up half down or some other style. Heck there are people that think long hair with layers are unprofessional and that hair should be shoulder length with non descript styling.

What?? That's crazy! At least to me it is.

But you know...professional can mean many different things to different people,a and different work settings. If you're working in a big-time attorney's office...then yes..maybe you can try to be as "professional" and non-descript as possible. I wouldn't wear too much make-up or wear flashy/tight/revealing clothing either. My hair would be done and nice, but not too attention-grabbing.

I think it all depends on your surroundings and what your work environment is like.

Personally, I'd like to know if there is a slight difference in "professionalism" or what is considered "professional" on the East Coast vs. the West Coast. I don't know why, but I always got the impression that East Coast professional values are little more strict, whereas West Coast views of what is "professional" is a little more laid back.
I could be wrong though. :-/

At this point in my career, I think I'm past the point where my clothing and my appearance matter so much in "giving the appearance" of professionalism and experience. I have over 10 years of experience doing what I do, and I've long worked in mostly white male dominated environments (high tech and transportation).

I've had meetings this week with the general manager and senior staff of my company and wore twin buns like the ones here. One of our assistant general managers (and a former county supervisor) has the biggest, curliest hair I've seen in a while. At first I thought it was a weave, but now I realize it's really her hair! And she holds the fifth higest position in the agency and has the ear of many in the local, state, and federal government.

Today I had to speak before the Board of Directors, and wore my hair pulled back in a bun that came from a braidout like this.

I think that as long as your hair is well groomed (meaning that it's combed/styled in something that's not an alternative style like a mohawk, or unusual hair color), and prohibiting any company policy against certain hair styles, I think it's what you make of it and how you feel about it. I walked in like my twin buns ARE professional, because I think they are, and I don’t broker discussion as such about any hairstyle I wear. Then I let my experience and knowledge speak for itself.

Here's a funny part of the story, I saw another woman today (she was bi-racial) and she had her hair curly!!! And it looked beautiful. Her hair lays a bit flatter than mine, but still...I also discussed it with others in our field (very, ultra conservative sales) and they laughed at the idea that curls were unprofessional. I guess those comments came from the fact that I had some volume going (not much because i'm very self-conscious about volume myself.)

My industry is very conservative, but there are a lot of people lately who are stretching the conservative "style" rules. There are very few black &/or bi-racial black women in my area, so I think there are certain 'expectations' of us. Another black rep sat down with me of the standards she thought I'd have to abide by.

Point being, the comments of yesterday - about my curls being big and "different" were unsolicited, unwelcome and made me second guess myself...which I didn't like because I was confident about it or else I wouldn't have worn my hair that way! I tried to remain confident about it throughout the day, but my hair was pulled back half-way through the day after her comments and stares from my "peers."

Thanks for all your input. It helps me to know that I don't have to conform to the straight hair standard. I like my hair straight when I want it straight, but I love (and am embracing more and more each day) my curls.

Thanks again!

deeshortesthair said:
One of my co workers actually told me she did not like my hair it looked like Ronald Mc Donald I wanted to tell her I hated her thick latino accent and hook nose but I took a deep breath.Thank god I work in the fashion district and we can do whatever we want I cannot wait till next year to wear a huge afro to work.It is not unprofessional people just do not know how to deal with blak women and their hair in anyother state than relaxed... it's their problem not yours. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

I love your hair. It looks so good on you. Very pretty.

I have gotten the "professional Look" talk. Now I have perfected my natural hair, I get so many positive comments especially from the whites.

cincybrownsugar said:

Slighty OT: but do you mind posting the products you use and the regime you follow...your hair looks amazing!
thanks in advance

Brownie said:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this.....

That's very strange...

I wore my hair curly for about 5 years and never got one complaint... I worked in a labor/employment law office, so maybe that's why ;)

It was different and people were surprised, especially because I had worn braids for 2-1/2 years, but once they got used to it, they loved my curls.

Last edited:
That is ridiculous.. it's just curly hair prejudice.. which is just crazy..but happens all the time!!! People complement me on my hair all the time... which was a little strange to me at first.. but I'm totally loving it now!!

Last edited:
I feel for you girl. I usually wear my natural hair (all big curly, and out) to my new office job, but recently I've been experimenting with the dryer and straight options so I rocked my hair straight. You wouldn't believe the comments I received. These crackers absolutely :love: it "OMG you look like a completely different person, blah, blah, blah." I even heard some people ask "who the new girl was?" :look: Even some of the men in the office were more "attentive" to me. I am a very observant person and I have always noticed that people have treated me differently according to what my hairstyle is. Personally I think it is disgusting. I really don't understand why hair is such a big damn deal.

Last edited:
Back