Curls do not come in a jar.....

Embyra

By The Damn Salon

We frequently meet women who find themselves frustrated with the arsenal of products they’ve collected on their quest for curls. As with most things, The Damn Salon has an opinion about this and It is a simple one…

Curls do not come in a jar.

Kinky hair is in and of itself curly. If you have ever examined a “nap” closely then you may have already arrived at this conclusion. So, why are black women spending millions of dollars annually on puddings, creams, gels, sprays, and other concoctions that promise what they already have? It is absolutely possible to find products that will tame frizz, or define YOUR natural EXISTING curl pattern. But you will not find springy spirals in a jar, if you never had them to begin with, my dear.

Don’t fight nature, embrace it. Haute hair, begins with healthy hair. So, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Trim every 3 months. Choose protective styles whenever possible. Avoid heat like the plague. Once you have mastered these principles, explore styling options that work with your natural curl pattern. If your hair is very kinky, roll with it…literally. Styles like finger twists and comb twists will produce awesome lasting texture with ease. These styles also tend to look better as they age. Gently separate the twist after a few days for greater volume and variety.

If you have a looser curl pattern the tried and true two strand twist will elongate and unify your curls. The springy corkscrews can be worn for up to two weeks, depending on their size. Larger twists will show their age a little faster. Use a light oil, like The Damn Salon’s Peppermint and Tea Tree Hair Oil, when doing your twist out. You should enjoy natural spirals that age beautifully. If you have wavy hair, try Bantu knots. The knots alone are Avante Garde and exotic. When twisted out they will provide you with big bold waves. Think old Hollywood Glam.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/05/curls-dont-come-in-a-jar/

The comments are interesting....

I agree with her.... Reminds me of the time a my friend w/ very fine 4b hair that thought she could get curls and coils by putting product in her twa. I told her that wasn't going to happen but she really thought it if she put some kinda cream/pudding whatever in her hair that she'd have 3c curls.

I also see truth to the following comments made:

I wonder if the search for the perfect curl is going to become the new “creamy crack”.

its sad, relax chick want length and naturals want curls and length ie GOOD HAIR! Whether they will admit it or not its the truth…it all goes back to having the so called GOOD HAIR!

Agreed. I am convinced that that is why Tracee Ellis Ross and Corinne Bailey are the most famous natural hair icons. Neither are type 4/kinky/nappy haired women. Yet when black women think natural, they think those two.

There are of course some women who go natural hoping that they'll have curls. These are usually the ones who end up going right back to relaxers because they "couldn't do anything with" their natural hair.

There are also women who actually DO have curls and these products help them to define their natural curls.

I don't get it when people go on these "you hate yourself if you want curl definition" tangents :ohwell:

also coils can be achieved with twist outs and things. i think its a matter of knowledge of course i have mostly 4a coils . (this girl called it good hair..and that my advice wouldn't work for her .i was like sure!) so what what would i know right -_-

I don't necessarily agree with this comment...

Agreed. I am convinced that that is why Tracee Ellis Ross and Corinne Bailey are the most famous natural hair icons. Neither are type 4/kinky/nappy haired women. Yet when black women think natural, they think those two.

Both of these women wear twist outs or curl with a curling iron so their styles are achievable by most if not all naturals. I do agree that twist/braid out styles are more popular and desired than shrunken fros.

Me either, especially the bolded. Who told them that??? :lol:

The only people I hear consistently going on about curl/coil definition are those admonishing others about wanting curl/coil definition.

I am so tired of this topic. If someone wants to slather their hair in gel 24/7, it is their business regardless of their motivations. I don't understand why creating twist outs is fine, but defining coils/curls is the act of the debil.

Hmm.

I feel put off by the damn salon advertising their hair oil in an article like this. They could have just said use sunflower oil.

What women who go natural do to their hair is their business, I don't get why things like this have to become an issue.

I saw that article and kept on moving. Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of it all. Some have curls, some have naps, some have kinks, and some have it all on their head!!

There are some (like me) that have a cloud of afro fluff when left alone and VOILA I add a little gel and have a curl.

I want to give a lot of glasses of STFU to people now, all they're trying to do is capitalize on either MAKE YOUR HAIR LOOK LIKE THIS or YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS TO MAKE YOUR HAIR LOOK LIKE THIS!!

Come to our salon and we'll show you the way the africans in the bush did their hair without the use of softee's 10-in-1 miracle magic curl grower!!!

I look at it as everyone making a niche for themselves somewhere to get attention. The end.

These types of articles just make people feel bad for trying.

You can't win. Girl do something to your head. Girl you doing too much.

Oh, I got my stuff down. Oh you haven't figured it out yet? :rolleyes:

This article is speaking to those that are misguided. I've seen the games played here too many times to count. It's either someone with a head full of curls playing a certain game or someone devoid of curls playing the same game but on the opposite end of the spectrum. I smh at all of it

Both of these women wear twist outs or curl with a curling iron so their styles are achievable by most if not all naturals. I do agree that twist/braid out styles are more popular and desired than shrunken fros.

I must admit that I prefer twist/braid out styles over shrunken fros or just a kinky fro in general. However I was in love with my TWA.

I'm not sure what that says about me.

*sigh* This again? I'm on team "If you're on the quest for a curl you don't naturally have then do you boo boo. Maybe you'll learn to accept it one day. And if you love what your hair can do naturally then that's great too."

:ohwell:

also coils can be achieved with twist outs and things. i think its a matter of knowledge of course i have mostly 4a coils . (this girl called it good hair..and that my advice wouldn't work for her .i was like sure!) so what what would i know right -_-

Twistouts create kinky waves for my hair, not coils. If I didn't do a twistout, my hair would be super tightly coiled and shrunken up.

I'm surprised that this is touchy on a board where people are so knowledgeable about hair. There's nothing wrong with TDS writing about it coz I'm sure they've had their fair share of people showing up with 4z hair asking for the magic curly puddin' or curling custard to turn their hair into 3b curls. It's not gonna happen. I know some people can go from a big and bushy to wet look ringlets but they already know this coz they've seen their hair get wet in the shower, etc. So the stuff in the jar doesn't make the curls, it just holds them in place.

By The Damn Salon

We frequently meet women who find themselves frustrated with the arsenal of products they’ve collected on their quest for curls. As with most things, The Damn Salon has an opinion about this and It is a simple one…

Curls do not come in a jar.

Kinky hair is in and of itself curly. If you have ever examined a “nap” closely then you may have already arrived at this conclusion. So, why are black women spending millions of dollars annually on puddings, creams, gels, sprays, and other concoctions that promise what they already have? It is absolutely possible to find products that will tame frizz, or define YOUR natural EXISTING curl pattern. But you will not find springy spirals in a jar, if you never had them to begin with, my dear.

Don’t fight nature, embrace it. Haute hair, begins with healthy hair. So, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Trim every 3 months. Choose protective styles whenever possible. Avoid heat like the plague. Once you have mastered these principles, explore styling options that work with your natural curl pattern. If your hair is very kinky, roll with it…literally. Styles like finger twists and comb twists will produce awesome lasting texture with ease. These styles also tend to look better as they age. Gently separate the twist after a few days for greater volume and variety.

If you have a looser curl pattern the tried and true two strand twist will elongate and unify your curls. The springy corkscrews can be worn for up to two weeks, depending on their size. Larger twists will show their age a little faster. Use a light oil, like The Damn Salon’s Peppermint and Tea Tree Hair Oil, when doing your twist out. You should enjoy natural spirals that age beautifully. If you have wavy hair, try Bantu knots. The knots alone are Avante Garde and exotic. When twisted out they will provide you with big bold waves. Think old Hollywood Glam.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/05/curls-dont-come-in-a-jar/

The comments are interesting....

I am singing in the choir on this one!:dance7:

Poohbear said:
Twistouts create kinky waves for my hair, not coils. If I didn't do a twistout, my hair would be super tightly coiled and shrunken up.

oh, i haven't done them yet, but I've seen a few people do it and it looked coilyish. i guess I'll know the truth for myself soon enough

Curl definition in itself is fine. It's when people think that their hair is only pretty when its curly as opposed to nappy that is the problem.

I have ecostyler and will use it for my wash and go's but I think my hair is equally as pretty in a fro or shrunken with some hair candy.
It's the reliance on curl defining products to FIX hair that is an issue not the use of curl defining products in general.

Curl definition in itself is fine. It's when people think that their hair is only pretty when its curly as opposed to nappy that is the problem.

I have ecostyler and will use it for my wash and go's but I think my hair is equally as pretty in a fro or shrunken with some hair candy.
It's the reliance on curl defining products to FIX hair that is an issue not the use of curl defining products in general.

We could do this all day long with all styles. Why do people feel their hair is neater/prettier if they slick down their edges? Why do people use products with hold to minimize frizz with twist outs/braid outs?

I don't like frizz and I am never going to like it. I have accepted it because I am lazy, but I will always prefer frizz-free hair, which is what curl defining products do for me (and most people that use them for W'n'G or twist/braid/Bantu knot outs) - minimize frizz.

I thought this topic had died, but here it is again. I hate they way we pathologize ourselves consistently.

I'm happy my hair can do a host of things from be curly, kinky, nappy or whatever it feels. I just let it do what it do.

Ogoma

I'm sorry but the issue exists. Yes, people may be using curl defining products for ease and because they prefer (not depend or rely on) the look and that is OK:look:
What I'm talking about are those who are ashamed of their natural hair without product that drastically changes the pattern of their hair. I just don't get 4b's who feel they have to be 3cs before they can leave the house:perplexed.

Yes, this topic has been talked about many an time, but I still think there is some truth to it. Isn't there a thread in the hair forum right now about how many people wouldn't have gone natural if they had known they were in the 4 range?

I agree. My hair is 3b/c, but I honestly wish it was 4a or 4b, because people with that texture can do more with their hair. My hair is thin and weak and I don't understand why anyone would envy my hair but so many people tell me I have "good hair". Good hair is hair that is healthy.

I couldn't careless what women spend tons of cash on, if they want to chase down the perfect curl go for it, hair is an accessory. I spent tons of $$$ trying to chase down many other hair pipe dreams and I know many other people on here have too there isn't really that much of a difference between the two

I am a 4b(extremely kinky hair) and if I listened to this article, I would have no business using curl defining products, but I do and they work. I may not be a 3c(which was not my goal), but the small kinky coils are defined in some areas and some areas are just frizz. I don't think this means I am ashamed of my hair, because I won't just wear it right out the shower all kinked and locked up(I don't do this because this causes breakage) and I don't think I should be berated for using these products. This reminds me of when I asked my beautician to set my hair on rollers and she told me she isn't doing that, it wouldn't work, as if I have pipe dreams for a 4b. That's funny, because I do it at home and my set comes out very pretty at least that is what I am told by all of the 4a's and 3c's I know who want me to do their hair. People can't generalize about what will work for who. Let everyone experiment and decide for themselves if they can achieve a look that will work for them. Advise people about what may or may not happen, but don't try to make people feel ashamed about creating the looks that will work for them.

Ogoma

I'm sorry but the issue exists. Yes, people may be using curl defining products for ease and because they prefer (not depend or rely on) the look and that is OK:look:
What I'm talking about are those who are ashamed of their natural hair without product that drastically changes the pattern of their hair. I just don't get 4b's who feel they have to be 3cs before they can leave the house:perplexed.

Yes, this topic has been talked about many an time, but I still think there is some truth to it. Isn't there a thread in the hair forum right now about how many people wouldn't have gone natural if they had known they were in the 4 range?

Really? I need to take a look at it :nono:

I didn't even know what hair type/curl size meant when I decided to stop relaxing my hair. I only started doing research six months into, what I later discovered was, my transition because half of my head had part relaxed hairs and the other all natural as my hairs had broken at the demarcation point.

No one has a gun to her head forcing her to keep her hair in its natural texture. If someone does not like their texture/hair/whatever, they would just relax it. I just find it hard to believe it is that big of a deal to people as there is no tangible consequence to being natural or relaxed.

I think everyone goes natural with certain expectations. I spent some time at the beginning of my journey looking for THE product that would give me uniform, organized curls. Every natural has to get to the point where she realizes her hair dgaf what you want and is going to do what it pleases. I think that's part of the process and there's nothing wrong with that...as long as you don't get hung up on it.

This salon is probably trying to sell type 3 dreams in the crazy looking weave they do.

Back