Curlies-----what do yours look like?

Brownie

Okay, (I believe) I'm a 3c/4a.

Most of my curls are the size of coffee stirrers (some a little fatter), and they act and look like slinkies because they have a lot of shrinkage. You pull them out and they pop back in when you let them go. For my shorter hairs, they have a tendency to ball up and knot if I don't keep them combed, or stretched.

When stretched out, the curls have a S-pattern---or whatever shape a stretched slinky is
smile.gif
. THe curls get totally straight in water for a couple minutes, and then, they curl back up. If I comb the curls, I end up with a big, thick afro. If I straighten my hair with a pressing comb or flat iron, the texture looks fine, but if I wash and wear or blow dry, my hair looks very thick.

For all the other curlies, tell what yours look like and your hair type. Thanks everyone!

Depending on where you look on my head, mine are the size of straws or pencils. A large bit is not curly but wavy instead.

My hair becomes wavy when wet (some part of it may become springy instead of curly when wet).

If my hair is combed out dry I think it would become fluff(never tried to do it). I haven't straightened my hair with a pressing comb or flat iron so I couldn't tell you about that. When I have done a rollerset it is shiny and bouncy.

[ QUOTE ]
deedabug said:
mine is juss like urs brownie...
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What hair type are you?

I'm still new to being natural. My big Chop was July 22, so its been 10 days since I have been natural. I am a 4a/b. The front of my hair is a lot looser than the back. The is a mix of small corkscrews and tight spirals. The back however looks all like tight spirals, and sometimes it doesn't even have a shape. It looks like thick cotton.

tiny coffey stirer size spirals or the size of a pen spring. some of my hair that is straighter from heat or coloring has a s pattern. i crave curl definition because they disappear once my hair is dry.I'm type 4a but i had crimp like strands when i blowdried my hair like a type 4b.
congrats on 10 days of being natural

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:

Most of my curls are the size of coffee stirrers (some a little fatter), and they act and look like slinkies because they have a lot of shrinkage. You pull them out and they pop back in when you let them go. For my shorter hairs, they have a tendency to ball up and knot if I don't keep them combed, or stretched.

When stretched out, the curls have a S-pattern---or whatever shape a stretched slinky is
smile.gif
. THe curls get totally straight in water for a couple minutes, and then, they curl back up. If I comb the curls, I end up with a big, thick afro. If I straighten my hair with a pressing comb or flat iron, the texture looks fine, but if I wash and wear or blow dry, my hair looks very thick.

For all the other curlies, tell what yours look like and your hair type. Thanks everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair sounds like yours, but my hair is still thick after it is straightend, and my shorter hair doesnt knot up
smile.gif

My hair resembles a 3 texture when wet and has products. But if It is dry it looks like a 4 texture
smile.gif

They range from a pencil width at the largest to a straw at the smallest -- but bigger than a coffee stirrer

[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:
[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
Right about now, my curls look horrible!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I go through battles with my curls, sometimes they cooperate and other times, like now they don't. I think it may be the humidity, and also I may have hard water which is making my hair more frizzy than anything. I have also been flat ironing my hair a lot lately, and may be dealing with some breakage.

the only curls i have are around my hair line. The rest is wavy/straightish. I have 3b curls. They are like lose corkscrews think a looser version of kelis.

My hair when dry and no products looks like Kelis. When it's wet with hair stuff it has a more wet and wavy type 3 look.
The hair on my nape area has tighter curls and I always have to stretch it out so it doesn't shrink up, so it will match my looser curls in the front of my hair line. I never used to have this problem before. I came to the conclusion that every time you color you hair, it changes the hair texture (damages) because a long time ago I put a light hair color (honey blonde)that had bleach only on the back of my hair. Well,I'm glad I didn't put that on my entire head because my hair curl pattern in the nape area competely changed to a more frizzy, tighter curl, with tons of shrinkage.

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Brownie said:

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair sounds like yours, but my hair is still thick after it is straightend, and my shorter hair doesnt knot up
smile.gif

My hair resembles a 3 texture when wet and has products. But if It is dry it looks like a 4 texture
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayeshia,
I checked out your album. Wow! Your hair looks really pretty. All the curlies should check it out
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
tiny coffey stirer size spirals or the size of a pen spring.

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like the size of my curls. When washed, it lookes like a messy cottony fuzz, while washing, I could feel the tiny wringlets. And lately through experimenting, with lots of conditioner left in the hair, my ends curl up into visible coffee stir curls.

I think I am a 3c /4a not sure,about the size of pencils springy spirals when i use shea butter big cotton ball afro when picked out. really fine strands very soft to the touch.

i am around maybe 3b/ 3c. my curls is a lot like yours brownie. once it is wet it springs up into small s pattern curls. my hair looks fuller in its natural curly state and thin when straight.

My curls look like similar to Mya's with an S-curl pattern when I just wash and go, big glossy curls. Most of my hair is the same size curls, but the hair in my nape is almost straight. The hair at my temples is the curliest, like little coils. My hair also looks a lot thicker when curly than it does when it's straight.
I consider my hair 3b/c, maybe more b than c.
When I brush or comb my hair after washing and let it dry in 2 braids it looks almost like I have a relaxer - wavy straight and flat. On the other hand, if I comb it after it's air dried I get an enormous frizzy afro like Diana Ross.
I have very thick strands and a medium amount of hair.

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:
Depending on where you look on my head, mine are the size of straws or pencils. A large bit is not curly but wavy instead.

My hair becomes wavy when wet (some part of it may become springy instead of curly when wet).

If my hair is combed out dry I think it would become fluff(never tried to do it). I haven't straightened my hair with a pressing comb or flat iron so I couldn't tell you about that. When I have done a rollerset it is shiny and bouncy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I would describe my hair and I'm not sure what my type is...maybe a 3b/c
confused.gif

My curls are on crack!
laugh.gif
I have coffee stirrer, pen spring size, and miracously some pencil width curls AND mixed in with all that I have some that are actually wavy/straightish that mess up any kind of wash and go look I try to do because they stick up in the air like feelers
laugh.gif
Also, they are very spongy and soak up water like no one's business! Shrinkage is a major factor, but I actually don't think it's that bad, I'd say my shrinkage percentage is on 1/3 of it's stretched length. My dyed ends are frizzy and fuzzy and I can't wait to cut them all off and I'm hoping either henna or lotus powder (not sure which I'm going to do) will make them better.

**Sigh** I'm having a bad day ladies. Your hair sounds so pretty, and I don't have many curls at all yet! My hair just wave up all over, and the few curls that I get in the back are fairly wide in diameter, almost like a magic marker. The back is the closest to natural, but who knows what it's going to look like when I get rid of the rest of the relaxer. I'm just afraid that I'm doing all this transitioning and I'm going to end up with what looks like a jheri curl! (No offense to anyone
look.gif
) It really sort of depresses me! I added a pick of one of my curls to my album and cropped it so you guys can see just what I mean...
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
**Sigh** I'm having a bad day ladies. Your hair sounds so pretty, and I don't have many curls at all yet! My hair just wave up all over, and the few curls that I get in the back are fairly wide in diameter, almost like a magic marker. The back is the closest to natural, but who knows what it's going to look like when I get rid of the rest of the relaxer. I'm just afraid that I'm doing all this transitioning and I'm going to end up with what looks like a jheri curl! (No offense to anyone
look.gif
) It really sort of depresses me! I added a pick of one of my curls to my album and cropped it so you guys can see just what I mean...
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me slap you Ayana
laugh.gif

Your curls are going to look beautiful and as long as you don't make them drippy they won't look like a Jherri curl and you know the longer your hair gets the looser the curl will be.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
look.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH? LOL. Ayana, your hair looks great! The curl that I see in your album looks spirally to me. Everybody has different curl patterns and you may just end up with a "s" type curl. I gotta pull up the LOIS system to better explain it--> will pm you later this evening
smile.gif
. Don't worry, you're not gonna look like someone with a jheri curl
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
look.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't slap me Miss K!!! ***running out of the thread!***

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
look.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH? LOL. Ayana, your hair looks great! The curl that I see in your album looks spirally to me. Everybody has different curl patterns and you may just end up with a "s" type curl. I gotta pull up the LOIS system to better explain it--> will pm you later this evening
smile.gif
. Don't worry, you're not gonna look like someone with a jheri curl
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, b/c I really don't understand the whole hair typing thing, and when I look at other people's full head of coils and curls, I don't know, I guess I kinda of get discouraged. I've been wearing this bun all these months, and I'm really not sure what my curls are going to look like! I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it does ask what everyone's curls look like, and I really don't know!
confused.gif
My curls are not as tight as many 4's describe their's, but my hair doesn't look the same texture to me as many 3's. Anybody else feel that way???

Ayana, I feel you. The whole hair typing thing can be confusing. You really don't even know what you have until you're all natural. Then there's a good chance that you'll have a combination of textures in your hair. Some parts of my hair are coming in wavy instead of curly this transition so I don't know what I'm going to end up with once it's all said and done. Your curls are looking good, Ayana. Looking at your curls, I'd put you in the 3 b/c range. You won't look like one of Jheri's kids.
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
look.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't slap me Miss K!!! ***running out of the thread!***

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't because I love ya!
kiss.gif
I think your hair will be gorgeous and then that stinky lady at the court will be trying to hate even more
laugh.gif

The longer my new growth gets, the looser the wave pattern becomes. The hair closest to the roots is curly, and the rest has defined waves. When my hair is wet and pulled back in a ponytail, it's kinda hard to tell the difference between the natural and relaxed parts.

Back