Curl Enhancing Products

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hello Ladies, :wave:

I'm a natural chica, and I was wondering if there are any ladies here that use curl enhancing products (like shampoo, conditioners, gels, etc) and if there is such a thing..:look: And if you have used them, what were your results? :)

Thank you in advance. :rosebud:

I really like the kinky-curly product line. The curling custard works beautifully on my 4a/b hair. I love the Knot today leave in as well.

anything i put in my hair enhances my coils.... even just plain ol' water! i sometimes use Citre Shine Gel on wet/damp hair to make it more define and uniform, I have different textures all over my head.

im also interested in these. i have to scrunch and stuff to enhance my curls. i also have different hair textures but the back is just....straight! how about the qhemet karite curl nut milk or something?

Yeah I hear ya Poohbear!

For me I just use vasaline and Aloe Vera Gel.

However when my stylist (the one who did my big chop in June of this year) cut my hair she used all Paul Mitchell Products, from the shampoo, conditioner and styling products She used something at the very end called "Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade." This stuff really rocked. My curls were poping out left and right! The bottle looks like this:

Thanks ladies. I'm gonna have to look into these products ASAP. Especially investing in that PM Foaming Pomade. :)

I was just about to suggest Paul Mitchell foaming pomade. I used when I was transitioning on my braidouts and twistouts and I wondered what affect it would have on my natural hair. I loved the results. It really help my curls pop and cut down on frizzes. But I also agree with Pooh about just plain ole water does it for me too.

Fantasia IC Gel w/Sparkalites. Can't say enough about this stuff. Been using it and a water/glycerin/conditioner spray mix since April. Will rock the curly fro look for the entire summer. HTH!

Hmmm...*rubs chin*

I've heard allot about the Fantasia IC Gel, I may have to pick some of this up later on perhaps.

Thanks for the recommendation SNyeema!:)

SNyeema said:
Fantasia IC Gel w/Sparkalites. Can't say enough about this stuff.

ITA!! LOVE this one!!

I also love the Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Miss jessie's Curling Pudding, Bubble-Up and the Citre Shine Making Waves Gel. Let's not forget the L'oreal Out of Bed either! :lachen:

Haven't tried the PM yet... :scratchch I'll have to go through my stash a bit 'fore I add anything else... :look:

I would recommend the kinky-curly curly custard, it makes my nappy hair have waves, I might try the paul mitchell pomade

Cinnabuns said:
Hmmm...*rubs chin*

I've heard allot about the Fantasia IC Gel, I may have to pick some of this up later on perhaps.

Thanks for the recommendation SNyeema!:)

You're quite welcome. I have 4B hair when dry, 4A hair when wet and I've tried a lot of products (including kinky-curly, curly pudding, shine & define, etc.). Fantasia is the ONLY thing (thus far) that will bring out my hairs little tiny spring coils. Everything else just kinda waves it. But no curl. This has curl, and it's a soft set. Not hard. At night, I spray my water mixture on there and plait it up. Then in the a.m., I take out each individual plat and finger through a little gel. The curls just come right in. I do this for 3 days straight then conditioner wash. Go 2 more days then wash with shampoo and repeat for the following week. Again, been doing this since April and my twa has grown into a teen. I get compliments EVERY DAY about my hair and trust me, ain't no 3C no where in here okay?!!!! Good luck.

i have the fantasia but it makes my hair hard and i dont liek the hard feeling i get from gels? if i use a thick leave in before using the fantasia, do you think that could help?

if u have straight parts in your hair or no curl pattern, no curl enhancing product is going to make it curl. u must have a curls or some type of pattern in order to enhance/define your texture. ;)

Poohbear said:
if u have straight parts in your hair or no curl pattern, no curl enhancing product is going to make it curl. u must have a curls or some type of pattern in order to enhance/define your texture. ;)

Very good point Pooh!!

Dolapo said:
i have the fantasia but it makes my hair hard and i dont liek the hard feeling i get from gels? if i use a thick leave in before using the fantasia, do you think that could help?

I don't know. I guess. The gel doesn't make MY hair hard and my entire head is all curly. I have a looser curl in the top-front of my hair so it waves up. But no where is it hard. I use to add a little jojoba oil in the gel and mix mix mix. But the only thing with that formula is that if you use too much oil, it'll make the applicationi white and you don't want a white head. So I just use my mixed up leave in and apply the gel. Works like a charm. So yeah, try the leave it. It may work. But keep in mind, MY leave in isn't thick. It's the consistency of water and comes out of a spray pump. That's how thin it is. But I guess it all depends on your hair as well. Remember, this is what works on MY hair. Anyway, hth.

Poohbear said:

So true Pooh. :up: I noticed there were alot of products on the BSS that says curl definition or shampoo for curly hair (like Matrix, KMS, Paul Mitchell, etc.). Thanks everyone for the advice. :)

SNyeema said:
I don't know. I guess. The gel doesn't make MY hair hard and my entire head is all curly. I have a looser curl in the top-front of my hair so it waves up. But no where is it hard. I use to add a little jojoba oil in the gel and mix mix mix. But the only thing with that formula is that if you use too much oil, it'll make the applicationi white and you don't want a white head. So I just use my mixed up leave in and apply the gel. Works like a charm. So yeah, try the leave it. It may work. But keep in mind, MY leave in isn't thick. It's the consistency of water and comes out of a spray pump. That's how thin it is. But I guess it all depends on your hair as well. Remember, this is what works on MY hair. Anyway, hth.
Thanks a lot! i will try this tomorrow....err..i also got the paul mitchell foaming pomade...:look:

Poohbear said:

I agree, Pooh.

im still looking for something that will help with frizzes. im not sure if s-curl will help but i wont try it cos it dries out my hair

Dolapo said:
im still looking for something that will help with frizzes. im not sure if s-curl will help but i wont try it cos it dries out my hair

Not the one I use. It is a wave pomade not the liquid kind. It is the 360 line. My natural hair loves it. WHy don't you try EP elasta silk gel?

my hair doesnt like most elasta qp products. ive tried the the glaze and mango butter and they were terrible so im scared of trying another...LOL. I will try the 360 line then. thanks!

Dolapo said:
have u tried any clear gels to tame your frizzies???

Dolapo said:
my hair doesnt like most elasta qp products. ive tried the the glaze and mango butter and they were terrible so im scared of trying another...LOL. I will try the 360 line then. thanks!
My hair doesn't like the Elasta products either! The recovery was terrible to my hair.:ohwell:

yeah i have tried clear gels. i dont like normal gels and prefer activator gels. Just because i dont like the hard feeling i get from them

One day after swimming I didn't have any gel so just used a sample size of Aveda conditioner and my hair looked practically the same as when I used my Jessicurl or Oyin stuff lol! It might have been a bit harder though.

Back