CURL DEFINITION for Natural Hair Sistas

Brownshugaz

What do you naturals use for your wash & go, shake & go that provides adequate curl definition and moisturization? Also could u also include your routine for whatever method you use?
TIA

Brownshugaz, if I do wash and go, I use NTM Leave-In, and then apply a little bit of ORS Olive Oil Lotion and EQP Mango Butter. Since my curls love moisture, these water-based products really help with my curl definition. (You can take a look at my June album to see my curly puff to see what I mean.)

Typically, I no-poo and rinse being careful not to fluff my hair at all - I just let the water run through it (for a good few minutes to make sure all of the conditioner is out) and when I'm done, I let it air dry. I don't ever use towels on my hair because it dries my hair out too much and then there's also the potential for slight snagging of the hair. I apply the products I mentioned while my hair is still dripping wet and then I just finger style.

Oh, when I'm done I also spritz with my lavendar/rosemary spritz from ACJazz28. Hope that helps!

Mostly natural transitioner here....
One of my staple styles is shake and go. My curl definition seems defined first by conditioner (my hair likes Nexxus Humectress best), second by an oil or butter for moisture and third by a gel that coats well (Ampro). This summer, I want to try aloe vera gel. I think the aloe mixed with a butter will be my next experiment.

I also use NTM leave-in and Surge Woojee Cream, but they don't hold up against strong humidity as well. They're still really good.

Of course all of this does nothing for the few inches of relaxed hair left in the front. I usually hide that part under a wide head band.

My faves are l'oreal smooth intense anti frizz cream and kemy oyl shea butter pomade..pomade makes hair sticky though i just wash condition add product comb thorugh shake hair and go , when my hair dries i run my flat palm over it to loosen the curls ... that's it.somtimes i spray with s curl after it is dry only a teeny bit though.

bump

I am curious myself. I have a twa that is cute, but I would love for my little curls to be more defined. I find that the more I put my hands in my hair (whether from adding moisturizer, or from rinsing conditioner out, etc), the more frizzy it gets! Are gels o.k. to use on natural hair for curl definition. Natural Sistas, please help!

i think, you either have it or you don't. ACV rinses and proper deep conditioning have revealed my true curl definition potential. but, i dont have it all the time.

I am not natrual now but. Make sure you deep conditon and use a deep conditioning leave in and seprate the curls with your fingers.

I'm not natural, but have you guys heard about Bath and Body Works curl on cue? It's amazing! I use it for my twist out. It's mostly organic, smells nice and fresh too.

For shake & go's, I conditioner wash my hair in the shower and rinse. I then apply more conditioner to my hair and comb it through with a wide toothed comb or Denman brush. When rinsing the conditioner out the second time, I leave some of it on my hair. I'm thinking, I probably rinse 85 to 90% out...my hair still feels like there is conditioner in it, but just not visible. Still in the shower, I gently squeeze the water out of my hair (I never towel dry my hair). I apply any product immediately...usually FOTE Aloe Vera Gel and a very small amount of any oil such as Kemi, EVOO, or Coconut. I apply the FOTE last. FOTE helps with curl definition and tames any frizzes, it also has a soft and bouncy hold. I then rearrange or (shake my head) my hair how I want it to lay and add any accessories and that's pretty much it for me. For any dripping, I use a t-shirt to dab and absorb the water from my hair without disturbing the curls. I use a satin bonnet before going to bed and in the morning I refresh it by applying Awaphi conditioner and it's good to go.
grin.gif

I use a combo of Aveda Elixir and Oyin Whipped Pudding (http://www.exittheapple.com) I conditioner wash, add Aveda Elixir and the whipped pudding while soaked, then gently wrap hair in a towel to absorb excess water. After a few minutes, I take the towel off, shake a few times and I'm good to go! (I don't have a problem with fizz from the towel I don't think because I add the products prior to wrapping it up. Be sure not to rub your hair with the towel though...)

[ QUOTE ]
bitesized79 said:
bump

I am curious myself. I have a twa that is cute, but I would love for my little curls to be more defined. I find that the more I put my hands in my hair (whether from adding moisturizer, or from rinsing conditioner out, etc), the more frizzy it gets! Are gels o.k. to use on natural hair for curl definition. Natural Sistas, please help!

[/ QUOTE ]i have the same issue! the more i manipulate my hair, the less defined the curls get and the more frizzy....and heaven forbid i comb it, then its just an afro puff!!!

one tip ive gotten lately (but havent had a chance to try) is to combine the s curl no drip spray with surge woojee cream....i would probably put it in a spray bottle, though...so as to avoid screwing up the curlies!!

i think water based gels are best....im having a bit of trouble finding the aloe vera gel, but once i do...
~T~

You can also get it at Walgreen's or Wal-mart. It's pretty easy to find in the summer because a lot of people use it for sun burn : )

I think leaving your hair as wet as possible after washing, and then adding whatever product works for your hair. Some have suggested Aveda Be Curly, KMS Curl Up, and Curly Pudding just to name a few. I just bought the Honey Wave Glaze and I will be experimenting with that. The shake and go will be my signature style when I go back to school full time and start working out 5 days a week again.
smile.gif

My curls won't stay defined! When wet, my hair is in frizzy corkscrews. When it drys, the corkscrews disappear! Still experimenting with products....

I wash and condition or just conditioner wash (depends on how long between last wash). I just blot my hair with a towel without rubbing. I still use Aura Leave on Elixir (Sally beauty has discontinued, but I have a stock pile at home) I work my hair in sections making sure to cover all areas. The only other thing I use is plain jojoba oil (you can buy it in bulk from Whole Foods or any health food store) a little goes a long way. I run my fingers through to detangle, shake and go.

My hair is soft, with a little sheen and no frizz. My curls are defined and controlled.
smile.gif

I promise try the l'oreal after you rinse conditioner rub it through yr hair and shake yr head like a wet dog, do not touch your hair utill it is completely dry though or it would end up looking like my pics
smile.gif
. The next time i do this i will take pics and i'llpost them ,in fact tomm i am going on a boat ride .. I'll post those.

I have the type of hair that has some curl definition when wet but when its dry or picked out has your typical afro texture. I find that doing conditioner washes only and adding a holding product when soaking wet and drying immediately is the best way to keep maximum curl definition. Some products i experimented with:
* Aura elixir- gives nice definition its a leave in but feels like gel and seems to give a little hold. too bad its discontinued but i know a spot where they still sell them.
*Black and sassy creamy set on soaking wet hair will hold the definition but the downside is it leaves your hair crunchy. try mixing it 50/50 with some moisturizer.
*Loreal unfrizz smoothing treatment aka "LUST" although its a rinse out conditioner when i use it as a leave in it really helps the coils pop out.
*curly pudding- the curl definition is alright but you can get similar results with cheaper products.

For me,

For me it's more about technique than product. As long as I conpletely detangle my hair during a conditioner wash I'm good to go by adding something like Aveda elixir to my hair. If I diffuse the curl definition is very strong.

I've been using Jessicurl for the past 2 days and it's been GREAT on my natural 4A hair. She sells it online at naturallycurly.com or at her own site www.jessicurl.com.

She also has tips on how to get curl definition on her own site. I was originally hesitant about buying her stuff, since my hair is nothing like Jessi's (she's a white woman with 2B hair), but it's really working so far!

Elasta QP Mango Butter on sking wet hair apllied in a scrunching manner, and then spraying with Pantene R&N Settiong Lotion or The Light Detangling spray really works for me
smile.gif

Hmm, I always thought that if you had no curl definition like myself and Lauryn Hill you were a 4b. Like in this pic of Lauryn --> www.vuestrasfotos.com/ details.php?image_id=906 You can see what I'm talking about.

No matter what my or her hair type truly is, I'd love to style my hair just like hers! :)

Sounds like from a lot of you ladies, and a lot of these threads, is that the key to good curl definition is a good leave-in moisturizer and a good curl-enhancing gel. Would anyone else have anything different from this to add?

Back