Curious: How Much MSM Is Everyone Taking

• Thread starter Thread starter ballet_bun
  • Start date Start date
Did anyone feel tired or sick when initially taking MSM or when you increased your dose? I was fine when taking the 800mg that is in my hair vitamin but since adding the extra 1000mg, I'm extremely tired and just out of sorts. I take it in the morning (for a total of 1800mg) and I feel like sleeping all day and have very little energy.

I am currently taking 1000 mcg of MSM with 500mg of Vitamin C. Try taking it with vitamin c it helps give u a boost of energy which will help combat ur tiredness. Also maybe introducing the extra 1000 is too much for ur system to handle.

Did anyone feel tired or sick when initially taking MSM or when you increased your dose? I was fine when taking the 800mg that is in my hair vitamin but since adding the extra 1000mg, I'm extremely tired and just out of sorts. I take it in the morning (for a total of 1800mg) and I feel like sleeping all day and have very little energy.

Ya know...you might be on to something here. I was taking 4000mg daily and did not have any get up and go when I started doing so and I took a 3 day break (detoxing) and I'm fine again.

I don't care, I will resume taking 4000mg (detox over) and see if it happens again. I sure hope not because I have some very challenging work days up ahead of me for this Christmas holiday. I may have to stop again if I have any adverse effects and re-start them in January 2012.

I love it's effect on my hair. I got 2.5 inches of hair growth over a 3 month span of time with msm and biotin. I can't afford to stop now:nono:. On second thoughts, I will simply reduce it maybe to 2000mg a day for the holidays but I won't stop....Nah!

Last edited:
Remember ladies, MSM increases the growth cycle of your hair more so than speed up the growth. If your normal hair growth cycle is one year before it sheds, then the MSM will increase it to say 2 years or very close to it before it would shed. That is why the hair seem to grow longer. Keep taking it so that the hair growth cycle will improve. You have to be consistent with taking it though.

About a year ago I had been taking a cocktail of MSM and Evening Primrose Oil supplements. I don't recall the strength, but I had some deal-breaking side effects:

Evil pimples despite extra water drinking
Too frequent menstrual cycles - seemed like I was on one every 3 weeks, and
Constant ta-ta tenderness

Just threw my body of of whack and I had to let it go.

About a year ago I had been taking a cocktail of MSM and Evening Primrose Oil supplements. I don't recall the strength, but I had some deal-breaking side effects:

Evil pimples despite extra water drinking
Too frequent menstrual cycles - seemed like I was on one every 3 weeks, and
Constant ta-ta tenderness

Just threw my body of of whack and I had to let it go.

The bolded was happening to me too but now it's normalized even though I have increased the amount and strength of msm I take now.

The bolded was happening to me too but now it's normalized even though I have increased the amount and strength of msm I take now.

Aggie

How long did it take your cycle to normalize? It frightened (and annoyed) me to menstruate so often..and the sore ta-tas? Forget about it. I know I didn't use the MSM and Evening Primrose oil supplements long enough to see benefits.

I did. But that wore off within a 1 or 2. I take 2,000 mg.

I started taking MSM last Friday. I began with HydraPlenish it has 250mg per pill. Didn't seem like enough to stimulate hair growth or other benefits. So I went to GNC and got the 1500mg tablets. I'm currently taking one or two per day. I will post if I have any results: good or negative. I'm also taking 5000mcg of Biotin daily. I drink water, but will increase my water intake to offset any negative effects.

I take 2000mgs a day for the past month, and my cycle started 4 days early. Didn't even put two and two together until this thread. It's not a huge deal to me tho.. should it be? :look:

Not sure if Ive posted in this thread.

I take 5000mg of the Lifetime MSM powder 4xs a week (M-Thurs when I'm at work)

From what I understand about MSM vitamin C plays a vital role in its effectiveness. So if you have been taking it for a while and have not seen ANY noticeable results you might have to try it with Vitamin C. I take it with 1000mg of liquid vitamin C.

I take Hairfinity which has 750 mcg of MSM. I temporarily added an additional mcg but my body had a weird reaction to it so I stopped.

how are you all taking it? I usually put a teaspoon in a bottle of water, shake it, and drink it that way. I cant taste it or anything. Is this an okay way to to take it?

how are you all taking it? I usually put a teaspoon in a bottle of water, shake it, and drink it that way. I cant taste it or anything. Is this an okay way to to take it?

Per the instructions on my jar I add 1/2 teaspoon to 8oz juice/water. If you are following your brands instructions then you're good.:yep:

I take 1/2 a teaspoon mixed with 1/2 a teaspoon of powered vit C - mixed with water and juice. Then make sure I 'try' to get plenty of water throughout the day.

This is my first time taking an MSM vitamin. I take 1, 1000 g 2x a day. So same amount as you. I'm seeing growth but I can't tell exactly how much because I'm in box braids.

Been taking 6,000 in capsule form. Ran out, so I finally upgraded to the NOW powdered MSM and took 2 tsp, 7,200mg, of it in orange juice. Let's see how it goes.

I've upped my dosage from 1000 to 3000 again. I've experienced some mild acne, which I'm attributing to detox symptoms. This time I'm taking the msm along with a multi vitamin. So far no red cheeks. I think the inclusion of the multivitamin is helping.

SoopremeBeing

How did it wreck havoc on your kidneys? What happened?

I was going to the bathroom too much. I took it with water and also with orange juice(for better absorption), but my kidneys wasnt having it either way. I didnt want to overwork them, so I lowered the dosage and took it in the middle of the meal instead of only liquids.

I started taking MSM last Friday. I began with HydraPlenish it has 250mg per pill. Didn't seem like enough to stimulate hair growth or other benefits. So I went to GNC and got the 1500mg tablets. I'm currently taking one or two per day. I will post if I have any results: good or negative. I'm also taking 5000mcg of Biotin daily. I drink water, but will increase my water intake to offset any negative effects.

klsjackson

So, how were your results?

Looking at all of these responses, I need to step up my 1,000mg/day "baby" dosage! :lachen:

I'm currently in the vitamin challenge and am taking MSM, Biotin, Fish Oil, and a multivitamin each day so I'm not sure which to attribute most (or all!) of the credit to, but I'm feeling a noticeable increase in NG, a much softer texture, and an instant French manicure with super white tips these days since starting the first week of November.

HHG, ladies!

JessicaSorbet

How are your results now? What vitamins do you still take, and how have they been affecting your hair, skin, and nails so far?

Back