Curious: How Much MSM Is Everyone Taking

• Thread starter Thread starter ballet_bun
  • Start date Start date
I paid $23.56, which is more expensive than other places. I didn't want to order online. Trying to get away from too much of that. If it doesn't have an affect, I may try getting Dr.'s Best next time....but, maybe not since people are saying it tastes bad. I can't taste the Vitamin shoppe brand.

KandyCurls,
I take about 4000mgs a day. I have not had any detrimental effects regarding my cycle. I have been taking MSM for about 6 months or so. I started for the positive effects on my joints and learned later of the hair benefits and other goodies.
HTH

KandyCurls I can take 2000 without any effect on my menstrual cycle. I went up to 4,000 and had a light cycle so I went back down. This month I am going to try 4,000 for the week of my menstrual cycle and the following week, and then go down to 2,000 for two weeks, and see what happens.

Looking at all of these responses, I need to step up my 1,000mg/day "baby" dosage! :lachen:

I'm currently in the vitamin challenge and am taking MSM, Biotin, Fish Oil, and a multivitamin each day so I'm not sure which to attribute most (or all!) of the credit to, but I'm feeling a noticeable increase in NG, a much softer texture, and an instant French manicure with super white tips these days since starting the first week of November.

HHG, ladies!

I started out with 1000mg a day, then 2000mg a day now I am up to 4000mg a day. I will increase it to a max of 5000mg a day though in about a week or less. I did notice a slight change I my menses and one I welcomed by the way. They are lighter and shorter in duration. Also, not as much cramps as before taking msm in larger doses.

It's amazing how we are affected differently from person to person, although I am taking collagen, vitamin c and hyaluronic acids daily for wrist joint pains. I think these may also have helped.

Last edited:
I take 2000mg/day. I've been taking it for years for my joints, but I don't know if it does anything for my hair. I may up my dosage....

15.6 g of MSM powder mixed with juice. I have to down it fast because it don't taste good. I sometimes split the serving or do 15.6 in one drink.

I started off taking 1000mg and increased weekly, I'm at 6000mg now. Haven't really noticed any of the good effects like better skin, faster hair growth, stronger nails, only more breakouts. :( I'm guessing my skin is detoxing, but it seemed to lighten up this week, so hopefully i'm moving out of the bad stage and getting to the good.

For the people that are taking higher dosages, do you split them up or take them all at once?

1000mg for me.I was taking 3000mg but I think it was too much. My cheeks were flushed all the time. To put it in prospective my sister thought I was wearing blush and I of course wasn't. I stopped taking it for a while and just recently started taking 1000 mg. So far so good. I haven't experienced any detox symptoms.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Nexus S 4G

I started off taking 1000mg and increased weekly, I'm at 6000mg now. Haven't really noticed any of the good effects like better skin, faster hair growth, stronger nails, only more breakouts. :( I'm guessing my skin is detoxing, but it seemed to lighten up this week, so hopefully i'm moving out of the bad stage and getting to the good.

For the people that are taking higher dosages, do you split them up or take them all at once?

I split mine up in 3 now - 2000mg in the morning and 2000mg in the evening with my collagen, vitamin c, and hyaluronic acid and I would take 1000mg during the day with my other vitamins.

I just started this new vitamin regimen this month and will continue throughout all of next year. I had a wrist injury that is healing nicely now but I don't want to stop taking them prematurely.

blackbarbie986,
I think I remember reading something that said it is best to split dosages b/c your body will use the amount it needs then eliminate any remaining within 12 hours.

I take NOW Brand MSM powder.

1 tsp/day = 3600 mg

I experienced bigger boobs, softer/silkier new growth and eridcated back pain. Whenever I stop taking it, my back pain returns. I have not noticed any increased hair growth.

The first week I took 1/4 tsp b/c I was afraid of side effects. It made me go to the bathroom. I increased to 1/2 tsp after 1.5-2 weeks and then to 1 tsp a week later. Been taking that dosage since Jan 2011. Started taking it Christmas Eve 2010.

HTH! :)

5100mg (powder) in divided dosages vit c...And plenty water...

Happy Hair Growing!

My hair vitamin has 3200mcg of biotin, 800mg of MSM, and only 90mg of Vitamin C. I just purchased 2500mcg of biotin from Freeda and 1000mg of MSM.

My plan is to continue taking my hair vitamin in the am + an extra 1000mg of the MSM. In the evening, before bed I will take an extra 2500mcg of biotin and another 1000mg of MSM. So that's 5700mcg of biotin and 2800mg of MSM daily. Do I have to add a vitamin C supplement or can I simply drink orange juice when taking the extra MSM?

1,000 mg 3x a day (1 with each meal) along with 30,000 mcg biotin 1x a day. It's been a month with the MSM and I haven't noticed anything.

It's been over 2 months with the biotin and my hair has improved! Slight shedding and minimal to no breakage. I'm adding silica to this mix next week.

I plan to take one tablespoon of msm every day this month, in my souvenirs, msm doesn't taste good, i will try to buy a thick multifruits'juice :ohwell: hope it will help with taste.

regina07, don't you get pimples with this high dosage of biotin??

Krystle~Hime --
No, I haven't had any change to my skin. I get pimples when I PMS but otherwise, I'm good. I'm more concerned about the MSM messing up my cycle, tbh.

So I added the extra 2500mcg of Biotin and an extra 1000mg of MSM. My face broke out terribly over the last several days. I did drink a lot of water... about 64oz. I can't say for sure if it is the Biotin and/or MSM that resulted in the breakout but I stopped taking the extra biotin the last couple of days and my face is slowly clearing back up. I was waking up to new pimples each day but that has ceased for now. I really wanted to stick with the extra biotin but don't think I can deal with further breakouts.

So I added the extra 2500mcg of Biotin and an extra 1000mg of MSM. My face broke out terribly over the last several days. I did drink a lot of water... about 64oz. I can't say for sure if it is the Biotin and/or MSM that resulted in the breakout but I stopped taking the extra biotin the last couple of days and my face is slowly clearing back up. I was waking up to new pimples each day but that has ceased for now. I really wanted to stick with the extra biotin but don't think I can deal with further breakouts.
star78,
About the breakouts- your body may be detoxing:yep:. It should stop within 2 weeks or so. How is your overall diet? In your earlier question you asked about a vit C supplement or juice. You are correct. Do one of those things as you take your MSM powder. Vit C is reported tp help MSM to work more effectively.

star78,
About the breakouts- your body may be detoxing:yep:. It should stop within 2 weeks or so. How is your overall diet? In your earlier question you asked about a vit C supplement or juice. You are correct. Do one of those things as you take your MSM powder. Vit C is reported tp help MSM to work more effectively.

I was thinking the same thing about my body detoxing and was going to try to stick it out for awhile but with the holidays coming, I'm just hoping that my face "heals" in time. I took a hair vitamin that had 4000mcg of biotin and didn't have this problem.I am going to give it another shot but not sure if I will wait after New Year's Day or just start back taking it tomorrow since I'm already going through the breakout stage.

Back