Cultural Wedding Style When It Isn't Your Culture?

MissYocairis

I'm curious ladies....when you are just plain ol', apple-pie, baseball and hotdogs American...yet, you are intrigued by other cultural bridal styles....is it distasteful to desire to use a different culture's influence in your bridal look or in the wedding theme? Do you ever long to stray from the traditional Euro-centric long white gown and veil? Or, is the traditional white your absolute ideal? This isn't a thread about daring to do it...just, do you ever just wish you could? I don't think I'd have the nerve...but I find Asian and African styled brides stunning.

For instance, East Indian brides are exceedingly beautiful with their headpieces and the vibrant colors. And, I love the Naija and other West African bridal looks as well. And, Chinese and Japanese styles too!

Amazing!
Indian_Brides_with_Eastern_Makeup_1.jpg

indian-bridal-dresses-1.jpg

This is Ethiopian, I believe. Lovely!
Large1100.jpg

Not sure of the origin of this one...but, it's influenced by an African country (because I found it on an "African clothing" site....I hate when "African" is used as a catchall...I realize that isn't accurate so forgive me for not having the full info here...)
:lol: @ the bride's facial expression...
Large501.jpg

Lovely Ghahanian Bride!
Large985.jpg

Chinese brides generally wear a red gown, however, I found this one on a Chinese bridal gown page.
chinese-wedding-dress-qipao.jpg

and here are Chinese brides in red...
Red-Chinese-Wedding-Dresses.jpg

Japanese Bridal Wear! Cherry Blossom Theme.
culture-bridal-couture-jap2.jpg

culture-bridal-couture-jap3.jpg

culture-bridal-couture-jap1.jpg

I have often admired the wedding attire and traditions of other cultures. I would think, though, that one should have an actual tie to the culture to use it in a wedding. Without one, it seems like the person would be reducing those traditions to mere fashion...or maybe it would just come off as a little poser-ish. Either way, for me, I would not choose to go beyond something generically afrocentic. It's a little sad, though as I'd love to have an Indian-style wedding.

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

Love how extravagant Indian weddings are but I agree with nicola.kirwan
As beautiful as I think cultural weddings are, i'm not sure how appropriate it'd be unless you or your husband were of that culture .

Maybe taking a few ideas from those cultural weddings? like Indian jewelry or a similarly beaded dress?

I have often admired the wedding attire and traditions of other cultures. I would think, though, that one should have an actual tie to the culture to use it in a wedding. Without one, it seems like the person would be reducing those traditions to mere fashion...or maybe it would just come off as a little poser-ish. Either way, for me, I would not choose to go beyond something generically afrocentic. It's a little sad, though as I'd love to have an Indian-style wedding.

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

:yep: I wish I had the nerve, but sadly, I would feel kind of poser-ish too. And, I am like you...it would be a blast to have an Indian-style wedding. But, with no connection....what do you do? I even would feel somekindaway about doing an Ankara-styled gown. Even though, I love the look, I don't know of any of my African ancestors. *cries a little*

Love how extravagant Indian weddings are but I agree with nicola.kirwan
As beautiful as I think cultural weddings are, i'm not sure how appropriate it'd be unless you or your husband were of that culture .

Maybe taking a few ideas from those cultural weddings? like Indian jewelry or a similarly beaded dress?

I love this idea! One of my favorite things about East Indian wedding attire and fashion is the jewels. Not necessarily the head jewels, but the earrings and necklaces and their veils are amazing. Great idea, Sugarwater.

I love Indian wedding styles. I wouldn't necessarily do it for the actually ceremony. But perhaps have a themed reception, and wear a traditional style outfit that goes with the theme. I think that would be pretty fun. Or if you could afford to renew your vows, perhaps you could travel that that destination that is of the culture you enjoy.

I had a traditional poofy white dress, DH couldn't coax me into a sharee in public, those things are pretty but too HOT and bold.

i'm obsessed with indian/ south asian wedding styles. i think even if you're just plain ol american, you might be able to incorporate some aspects of the style in a wedding by maybe accessorizing with some indian jewelry. although sometimes it can get to be a bit much, i think that it is generally beautiful. i know that i am also obsessed with south asian food, so maybe at the reception i would have one or two items influenced by south asian cooking.

if all else fails, just honeymoon in india :lol:.

some useful resources:
this website offers great south asian inspired clothing via flash sales. so basically gilte group for south asian stuff. https://exclusively.in/customer/account/login/.

this website lets you rent indian inspired stuff https://luxemi.com/index.php/customer/account/login/.

Back