CUBAN HAIR TIPS

hotshot

I posted this in the other thread, but i just started a separate thread:

Not only did i meet a fellow LHCF member/lurker in my group of students, we talked hair the whole time! LOL!

Cubans are truly resourceful people. The hair types there do run the gamut, and most people have beautiful hair. Thick as I dont know what and just bouncing. Their hair is very light because they dont use hair dressing. Most womens hair is past their shoulders. It looks totally different than black hair i see here. like the strands are different. It might be the climate. It might be the maintenance. A few things they do:

~Those with hair 2c-4b usually straighten using either a perm or hot comb.
~They perm every 4-5 months.
~They hot comb once a week and grease once a week, if they have it. This procedure follows a wash and cream conditioner. I dont think they grease the scalp. Since pollution is so bad, i think its probably better they dont use grease more often. i dont know what they use for grease, because i never saw it in stores. i have a feeling its something not intended for the hair.
~ They may occasionally do an avocado protein treatment.
~Most women do not have access to salons, which, by the way would be illegal since it would be a private business. They do their hair themselves or know of an "expert" on their block. We took a friend of mine to get her 3c hair pressed by the expert old lady on the block who does everyone's hair. It cost 1.00 only because her hair was thick. They didnt use any grease because she already had some conditioner in her hair.
~It is HUMID in Havana especially, so they maintain straight styles by doing a special kind of wrap called el turno.
~El turno is like an ordinary wrap after washing, except they roll the crown area of the head with empty cardborad toilet paper rolls. They use 2 or three of these on on the crown and wrap the rest around the head. They use pins if they are available. This can be maintained nightly. And women manage to stretch perms this way. They would never think of perming more often.
~They believe coloring the hair a dark color is healthy for it when you have breakage. It seems to work. Hair color is very popular there. Mostly black, and amazing brilliant shades of red! There are blondes, and very, very few blonde blacks.
~Cubans do not have access to good products. I found Salerm 21 at a fancy hotel lobby store. You can find American and international brands like salerm and loreal at fancier, tourist oriented places. I did see Cubans in there making purchases, but the reality is the best products are too expensive for the average Cuban who earns $5 a month. They have cheap shampoos and conidioners that cost about 1-2 that are more affordable. I noticed Tropical had a brand of shampoo there. They pretty much agree though, that American products are much much better. And they cant afford to wash more than once a week. Besides, frequent washing would ruin the hot comb.
~Most women do not have heat applicances. They airdry their hair in el turno and use regular rollers to set the hair during the week, usually rollers that they've had forever.
~Extension Braids are popular for extending perms as well. they use a different type of hair, usually whatever they can get their hands on. Its a different. cheaper quality. They havent refined the art of braiding yet, i must say. i think they save the hair and use it again.
~Cornrows are popular too. They cut up a condom into tiny strips to use as elastic bands for the ends.
~I did see some short, broken off hair and bad too- thick extension cornrows, but less than here. That happens anywhere, right?
~I left behind my creme of nature, Suave milk and honey and kemi pomade with friends. I bought another friend some salerm products. I didnt leave my spray leave-in because i really didnt see where they would use it in their regimens.
~The type 4 hair seemed more thick than long, although it was usually healthy and past shouder length.
~There were some naturals of all hair "classifications." It isn't very big at all, though. I saw some beautiful blonde fros, puffs, and cute styles on children. i think i introduced twists and twist outs. and there is definetly a "good hair" "bad hair" dynamic.
~They don't bump their ends. they just wear it loose and straight and "undone". They also use claw clips to wear their hair up. overall, they are very low maintenance. this has got to be how they retain ends. they dont do anything with them if they wear it loose.
~I did see, although rarely, phony ponies. virtually no weaves.

HTH!
CUBA LIBRE!
cool.gif

Very informative detailed thread
smile.gif
one of my former boyfriends is Cuban and his friend's wife used to always ask me about different products and how i used them, now after hearing about the shortage of products i know why. They had just moved here so i dont think she was used to seeing all these products and stuff yet. Overall their routine sounds really good and simple
smile.gif
-- jainygirl

This is really interesting. They sure know how to make do with what they got. I remember when I went to the Dominican Republic I saw the most beautiful hair I had ever seen. I saw 1a all the way to 4c. And of course, most of the hair I saw was relaxed. But it was very healthy, shiny, and had body. It didn't matter if the hair was long or short. I used to go to town every week and get Dominican products. So many conditioners, rinses, and oils. I saw jet black and red hair, but not many blondes. There were salons on almost every corner. They were all so good that I was never sure which one I wanted to go to that week. Not a lot of manipulation was done to the hair either. But I admire the Cuban women for being creative and keeping things simple.

Back