Craving Super Red Highlights ... Henna?

loolalooh

K, I just broke down and bought a box for red highlights. Before I take the plunge, I want to get some input on red henna ...

Has anyone gone from black to this red using red henna? If so, what was your mixture/ingredients, how many treatments did you do, and how long was each treatment? (Post pics too if you don't mind.)

Background: I've done 3 mild henna treatments and have some color, but not this dramatic. I'm natural.

TIA!

P.S. Tips on highlighting previously hennaed hair are welcome.

Last edited:
Bumping this and subbing. I too would like to dye my hair red using henna. I've used henna in the past, called "Punjabi Prime" off hennasoq.com(sp). It gave me a barely there reddish tint. Nothing dramatic so I wasn't happy with my results.

When I made the henna mix I just used water, too. I just don't know......

if you have dark hair,I dont think you will get bright firery highlights.
I got bright highlights from henna only over sections of my hair where I had honey blond highlights.

Last edited:
I think the only way to go that red with henna is if you are blond or have white/gray hair. On darker hair, you'll only get highlights.

Bumping this and subbing. I too would like to dye my hair red using henna. I've used henna in the past, called "Punjabi Prime" off hennasoq.com(sp). It gave me a barely there reddish tint. Nothing dramatic so I wasn't happy with my results.

When I made the henna mix I just used water, too. I just don't know......

This may be what I'm looking for. Nothing too dramatic. How much of a tint did you get? Do you have any pics? TIA! :)

ITA it's only slightly noticeable on dark hair. To get a brighter red outcome you'd have to add lemon juice/acv/something acidic to your henna for color release but it didn't get as bright as those pics for me. If you do add the juice or acv watch for dryness bc people complain of dryness afterwards. Make sure you use a moisture DC afterwards

This may be what I'm looking for. Nothing too dramatic. How much of a tint did you get? Do you have any pics? TIA! :)

Hello Tia. Yeah this may be what you are looking for. The Punjabi Prime from hennasooq.com (sp) advertises itself as giving you (depending on your hair) a firey red; however, I think they mean it on folks who can actually get it lol. I can only see the reddish tint in the sun or light. Check it out. I don't have any pics because I wasn't impressed with it. I can barely see the tint and being as though it's starting to get colder I never will lol.

kestia thanks so much! I see the color and I like it. Do you think if i did more than one application I could build up the red color. I like it a lot on your hair but I would want it a little more noticeable.

The first time I did the henna, the color was obvious right away. I do it every 2 weeks and add it to my conditioners. I think over time, the color should get deeper, but I'm not sure it'll ever be anything other than highlights.

ITA it's only slightly noticeable on dark hair. To get a brighter red outcome you'd have to add lemon juice/acv/something acidic to your henna for color release but it didn't get as bright as those pics for me. If you do add the juice or acv watch for dryness bc people complain of dryness afterwards. Make sure you use a moisture DC afterwards

IA with Foxglove

You will need an Acidic Base to bring out the Red in your Henna.

IMO: You will need Lemon Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar or Citric Acid.

ACV (which I use) definitely intensifies the Redness. However, I use Indigo cover up the Redness from the Henna.

Increased use of the Henna may give you the color you desire over time.

Oh Yeah, dryness: I always rinse mine out with VO5 or Suave and have never experienced excessive dryness.

Last edited:
For firey red on black hair you'd have to lift your base color first. You can add vinegar, or lemon juice for bright red, coffee for red with dark brown tones. If you don't lift your hair you'll get low lights that intensify with each application but black can't turn directly to red.

i have very dark hair and i use henna weekly i have the red higlights with nice red shade that can be noticable on day light my mixer is:
pure henna+ ACV+ hibiscus+honey
boil hibiscus in water then mix it with the other ingredients leave it in a plastic bowel covered over night next morning applay it on my hair leave it for three hours or more depending on weather and rinse it with water only, next day deep condition my hair

there is a plant that we dry, ground and mix with henna it turn dark hair into red but unfortunatly i don't know its name in English :(

loolalooh what did you end up doing with color? I'm still like :perplexed:

OP, the color that you were going for is nice. I love that color on Keisha Cole. Did you end up doing it?

I'm so late in responding. Sorry, ladies.

I ended up using a semi-permanent and doing minimal highlights for now. (Peek-a-boo highlights in the back.) This is how light it got and I love it:

Attachments

• Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I'm so late in responding. Sorry, ladies.

I ended up using a semi-permanent and doing minimal highlights for now. (Peek-a-boo highlights in the back.) This is how light it got and I love it:

Looks great girl. I love that POP of color! I'm still scared.

Back