Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Not really, but I should more

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • No, don't need/want to

Votes: 20 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Polyesterdiva

I was wondering about how many ladies out there DON'T moisturize their hair.

For me, since I stopped using heat appliances and switched to a lye relaxer, my hair no longer feels dry to where I need to put a moisturizer on it.

I used to use Elasta QP, but as time went on I did it less and less often and then I just stopped. I also don't use any oils either and wash 1 to 2 times a week. The only thing I leave on my head after the shower is leave in (either Fantasia IC hair polisher, or Giovanni).

Is that weird? It seems like moisturizing hair and or sealing it is a 100% given based on what I read.

Anyone else?

Well IMO, leave in's and moisturizers are the same exact thing. So, since you are using a leave in, then you are moisturizing.

I don't use a "moisturizer" or "leave in" but I do apply a full strength conditioner to my hair after washing. To me, that's the same as using a moisturizer or leave in because it does the same thing.

I don't think that it's weird, since it seems to be working for you.

I must moisturize my hair.
I am not one of those ladies who has to do it everyday though.
If I moistuize tonight, I could probably go until Monday or Tuesday without doing it again.
Still, I have to do it at one time or another.

Nope
I moisturize 6-7 days a week. The only day I may not moisturize is after wash day.
I would be too nervous to try not moisturizing. I do not want my hair to return to what is was...a dry, brittle mess that constantly broke.

My hair loves moisture...that said, I don't usually add additional moisture products (LTR, NTM ST) between co-washes until I hit 12 weeks + post relaxer and I just started doing this when I joined the board and decided to do my first stretch. I believe that is why my stretch was so successful, the fact that, I kept my NG very moisturized.

I haven't moisturized daily in months.:look:

During my weekly washes, I provide enough moisture between my deep conditoners, leave-ins and serums.

I don't like my hair getting weighed down. I like fresh, clean-looking and flowing hair. Not saying that moisturizer can't do this, but as time passes, gunk builds in my hair.

Last edited:
Well IMO, leave in's and moisturizers are the same exact thing. So, since you are using a leave in, then you are moisturizing.

I don't use a "moisturizer" or "leave in" but I do apply a full strength conditioner to my hair after washing. To me, that's the same as using a moisturizer or leave in because it does the same thing.

I agree with everything you said. To me, if you are adding moisture to your hair then you are moisturizing. I use a mixture of water, conditioner, and oils to moisturize my hair.

It seems like moisturizing hair and or sealing it is a 100% given based on what I read.

I think there is a pretty large percentage of people who use leave-ins or put something in the hair right after washing. But in terms of moisturizing in addition to that with a dedicated moisturizing product and/or oils (which I assume is what you meant in your post), I think the percentage is less--probably still high, though.

I don't moisturize, and I've read quite a few posts from others (especially those who do frequent cowashes and naturals who straighten regularly) who also don't moisturize. *shrug*

Like Maysay, I get my moisture from washing and conditioning and ACV rinsing, not from a leave-in or moisturizer. Once my hair dries from the wash, I don't apply anything to it. It gets "moisturized" again on wash day, which usually happens at least twice a week.

Moisture is a must have for my hair i wouldn't have any if i didn't moisturize but i have read it works for some.

Like Maysay, I get my moisture from washing and conditioning and ACV rinsing, not from a leave-in or moisturizer. Once my hair dries from the wash, I don't apply anything to it. It gets "moisturized" again on wash day, which usually happens at least twice a week.
^^ Completely agree with the bolded! I don't moisturize during the week @ all...just on wash day :yep:...I know I keep saying this but I get my moisture from my DC and leave-in when my hair is wet.

My hair is way too dry. I must moisturize everyday.

I never thought I could ever go without some type of "grease" in my hair, and at one time I thought I couldn't do without some balm on my scalp. I misunderstood a regimen and stopped using anything after rinsing off conditioner. I would just wash my hair if it felt dry, sometimes with shampoo then condish, sometimes just CW. And then I baggy every night. In time I got so used to this that I can't bear to have any leave-in or moisturizer on my hair at all.

Now if I plan to wear it combed out, I have to use some leave-in or I would not be able to get a comb through it. But I am mostly in braids or twists so no slip is necessary hence no leave-in/moisturizer/styling product needed.

I'm relaxed and use heat often and I rarely moisturize in between wash days. If I do moisturize, I only put it on my ends.

I don't moisturize. My hair isn't dry...IDK I just listen to my hair and it's doing fine without it. I don't like my hair to feel weighed down.

I must moisturize but I focus on my ends because the roots tend to get weighed down. I use a drop of jojoba oil before I wrap my hair at night. My hair does not like too much product so that is pretty much all I put on it between washes.

Yep. I rarely moisturize my hair...I do it very sporatically and even then its usually just my ends.

I have very oily skin so my hair is coated in a natural moisturizing oil by day three anyhow....so I don't really have to put much effort into keeping my hair moisturized. Its effortless.

I moisturise everyday for fear it will break, but I wanted to ask this question as I don't think I need moisturising everyday because I baggy every night so I wake up with moisturised hair.

hm this no leave in / moisture thing I shall attempt and see the results. I'm dcing as I type so when I rinse I'll just leave it be but I'm in a humid climate so I'm not sure what my results will be

I totally agree! The wash days are a moisture life saver. When my hair get's "dry" I figure it's time for another wash day..and I love washing my hair so it's never a bother!

Applying moisturizer though, can be kinda annoying. I feel like I get a bit of breakage too from working the product through my hair.

I think the major difference is if you are relaxed or natural. Natural women are more likely to moisturize more often than relaxed ladies. Relaxed ladies who were their hair in a straight style, may not moisturize daily as it may "weigh their hair down".

I understand b/c if I was relaxed, my regi wouldn't include the 2 daily moisturizing sessions I have now. Since I'm natural and wear my hair curly/kinky all the time, the more moisture, the better. Whereas, if you worked hard to get the kink or curl "out" in order to achieve a more straight style, why would you put anything (water, condish, leave-in, etc) on it afterward?

Thats just what I came to after reading the responses. Seems predictable.

I need moisture my hair is dry. I use a leave in after I wash every week.

If i'm wearing a ponytail, I'll moisturize my ends. I don't moisturize when I'm wearing a straight style.

I think the major difference is if you are relaxed or natural. Natural women are more likely to moisturize more often than relaxed ladies. Relaxed ladies who were their hair in a straight style, may not moisturize daily as it may "weigh their hair down".

I understand b/c if I was relaxed, my regi wouldn't include the 2 daily moisturizing sessions I have now. Since I'm natural and wear my hair curly/kinky all the time, the more moisture, the better. Whereas, if you worked hard to get the kink or curl "out" in order to achieve a more straight style, why would you put anything (water, condish, leave-in, etc) on it afterward?

Thats just what I came to after reading the responses. Seems predictable.

I'm natural and don't moisturize my hair. Started this regimen in 2001. I only ever apply anything to my hair when I need to comb it. Otherwise, once I rinse out conditioner from my braids/twists, I don't add anything else to my hair.

I'm natural and don't moisturize my hair. Started this regimen in 2001. I only ever apply anything to my hair when I need to comb it. Otherwise, once I rinse out conditioner from my braids/twists, I don't add anything else to my hair.

Nonie, don't you use the S-Curl to moisturize? How do you add this in your reggie?

Nonie, don't you use the S-Curl to moisturize? How do you add this in your reggie?

Only when I comb my hair. I use S Curl for slip so a comb can glide through. Otherwise if I am not combing my hair, I do not use any product.

The last time I applied anything to my hair after washing was April 2009 when I last had my hair out.

I don't moisturize or use oils unless my hair is extremely dry, and that's sa rarity. I haven't noticed any negative effects on my hair (thank goodness). I think it may have started with me not wanting to weigh my rollersets down, and then I just never thought about it again. Now that I'm bunning and doing twistouts, my hair dries out faster so I know I have to go back to moisturizing regularly.

Back