Cornrows With Synthetic Hair Added As A Protective Style

GraceJones

Anybody doing this?

I'm a natural 4b/c. My last relaxer was 4 years and 8 months ago. I'm about APL stretched now (slow grower!)
I usually wear cornrows with my own hair under straight wigs. I pre-poo, wash, and DC every 2 weeks.

I was thinking of wearing styles like this. I want to slowly transition away from wearing the straight hair and accept my own natural texture. Even though I haven't had a relaxer in so long, I haven't worn my own hair in "out" styles. I just don't like messing with my hair every day. My hair doesn't have the length I would like yet to wear it in a way that I would consider feminine (I know this is my conditioning, I'm trying to get over it).

I was thinking about styles like this

Would this be feasible long term?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 1.55.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 1.55.45 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 129
Love the style. I don't have an answer to your question but I see this style as needing heat to stretch and lay down the coils and (in my case) frizzing up quickly cuz my hair is not all one length.

I have 4b hair and a style like that would last me 2 weeks (probably less). I guess it would also depend on how often you moisturize your hair, and if your hair is prone to frizzing.

I always twist my hair in small/medium twist because large braids and twist just do not last long with my hair type. However, since you are adding hair your experience may be different.

I have 4b hair and a style like that would last me 2 weeks (probably less). I guess it would also depend on how often you moisturize your hair, and if your hair is prone to frizzing.

I always twist my hair in small/medium twist because large braids and twist just do not last long with my hair type. However, since you are adding hair your experience may be different.
It would last me about 2 weeks too. But since I'm washing my hair again anyway, I wouldn't mind.

I do this every couple of months and it works for me. I do smaller braids though and leave in for 4-5 weeks , making sure to oil my scalp with castor oil every so often and spray with a leave-in in the morning. I have realised that I prefer natural looks to straight looks so this works for me.
The first pic is my go-to style and the second is what I want to get next
fishbone.jpg
fishbone2.jpg

Attachments

• fishbone.jpg
    fishbone.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I would say it depends on what your maintenance plan is (regular M&S spritzes particularly) and whether your breaks in between styles (a few days or more) will be sufficiently resting/nourishing for your hair type.
I personally believe extension hair to be drying and abrasive to hair, particularly for long term wear, but that can be ameliorated with oiling the length of the hair preemptively and good DCs.
Outside of that, tension to the edges or rough handling with the length of the hair (rough blow drying, too much tension, not enough lubrication etc) can cancel out the protective nature of the style.
Then there's frequency of restyling and wearability to consider...

I'm relaxed and want to try braids with synthetic. I've never had braids before though and want to make sure my hair isn't adversely affected by them. I have a regular routine of deep conditioning and a plethora of oils and conditioning sprays. Is that all I need?

I'm relaxed and want to try braids with synthetic. I've never had braids before though and want to make sure my hair isn't adversely affected by them. I have a regular routine of deep conditioning and a plethora of oils and conditioning sprays. Is that all I need?
You sound good to go!

I'm so happy these types of braids are in style now because they look easy to do. I want some but can't have them exactly like these for reasons. But I've been wearing just my own hair in 5 straight back cornrows for the past month or so and I like it. They can last 2 weeks at a time and I wash every week. I just do them myself, and add beads to the end now. I'm on my 3rd set now. They are not as lushly thick as with fake hair, but they still come down to past apl in the back, so they are long enough

My boyfriend wants me to do this but: 1) I need to learn how to cornrow my own hair 2)I probably wouldn't wash my hair as often as not to mess up the style.

I'm so happy these types of braids are in style now because they look easy to do. I want some but can't have them exactly like these for reasons. But I've been wearing just my own hair in 5 straight back cornrows for the past month or so and I like it. They can last 2 weeks at a time and I wash every week. I just do them myself, and add beads to the end now. I'm on my 3rd set now. They are not as lushly thick as with fake hair, but they still come down to past apl in the back, so they are long enough

Back