Cornrow Extensions

Brownshugaz

How long do cornrow extensions usually last? I've had mine in for a week and I'm dying to take them out. My scalp is itchy and dry. I tried moisturizing it last night with some olive oil but that did nothing. Any suggestions?

I could make mine last five to seven weeks. I would have anywhere from two to three rows, going back. I kept my braids tied up when in the house, anytime I pulled a shirt over my head, layed down, or slept. I loved my cornrows.

But...I didn't shampoo once a week because I didn't want frizzy braids. So, I would go in between my rows with witch hazel or a cap full of shampoo in a bowl of water to clean my scalp then follow up by using a natural oil between the rows. I shampooed & conditioned every two to three weeks. After a while the itching does stop. But, my problem was anytime I sprayed something on my cornrows to keep my hair moist, my scalp begin to itch. So, I stopped and the itching stopped. I kept my cornrows in back to back from February 05 until a week ago. Needless to say, my hair was very dry. If it wasn't for the dry hair and the fact that my edges on my right side were starting to disappear, I would probably still have them in.

I would suggest that if you want to keep you hair moisturized while in braids, get box braids. Den1 shows you how to do this step by step.

I've had cornrows before but not with extensions, but this may help anyway. For moisture I alternated between Kemi Conditioning Spray and Hairever II Hair & Scalp Vitamin Tonic (from Vitamin Shoppe). My hair and scalp stayed in great condition with no buildup issues.

When I started using another brand of hair called Zuri, my itching stopped. I was allergic to most hair. Also I would wash my hair the same day I got the braids because they coat all fake hair with a chemical that can make you itch. I did Diva's/Robin Woods' method for washing and conditioning my braids. Next time I get cornrows I may have them in for a month or month and a half.

Wow, my cornrows never start to itch until about the 2nd week, I usually keep mine in for 3 weeks and I spray them 2x a day with braid spray and grease the length of the braids (where my own hair is) to keep my hair moisturized. (Sulfur 8 in the morning and Dark N Lovely Hydrating Citrus Braid Spray at night, sometimes I spray Surge on my hairline)

I usually keep cornrows in for 2 weeks at a time. I use braid spray also. And since I've jumped on the MTG bandwagon I've been using that too. Also, I use the Kanekalon wavy hair. It's very light, doesn't tangle, and it's not as drying as the regular Kanekalon hair.

Oh, and now I'm trying out the new Surge Plus 14 and the Ultra Max.

I had some done in 2002 and they lasted 2 weeks. The itch started after the first week but I used seabreeze on my scalp. If your dying to take them out, then by all means don't suffer, take those bad boys out!

I got cornrows in this tuesday and I am bout ready to take them out too....but i overpaid for those thigns so I am going to keep them in for at least a full two weeks...possibly three.

better braids medicated sprays eliminate itching. Also, Sulfur 8 medicated scalp solution is good. I use either of them before the itching normally starts (about a weeks for me) and it never happens - NEVER. I prefer the Sulfur 8 scalp solution because it does not really drip.

I clean my scalp with Organic Stimulator Herbal Cleanse Shampoo. I oil my scalp with Doo Gro Growth and Anit-Itch and I add Tea Tree Oil to it. I can keep my hair cornrowed for 6-8 weeks with no problem.

PrincessAvaya said:
I clean my scalp with Organic Stimulator Herbal Cleanse Shampoo. I oil my scalp with Doo Gro Growth and Anit-Itch and I add Tea Tree Oil to it. I can keep my hair cornrowed for 6-8 weeks with no problem.

6-8 weeks?! Wow! How do you keep them looking neat for that long?

I just got fresh cornrows done by my girlfriend today and they are hott. She used all of my natural hair and curled the ends. She said wearing a silk scarf every night and keeping my scalp oiled and moisturized that my cornrows should last from 5-6 weeks. I have pics in my album if you wanna check them out, I love them!

Hair type and texture: 4b thick and course
Ultimate hair goal: 5 inches past brastrap by Dec. 2005
http://public.fotki.com/Diane71
pm for password

Back