Controversy: Cheap products & Alcohol

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
ok i'm trying to follow the rules: no petro, no mineral oil, avoid alcohol like the plague. alcohol dries your hair out right so how come so many rave about the Strawberry and Cream conditioners and the Suave conditioners. I stayed in the hair aisle the other day everything has alcohol. Whats the deal? I'm trying to learn. Help a sista out.

Fatty alcohols like Cetyl, and Stearyl Alchohol are all conditioners (and there's another one that begins with a C that I can't spell
laugh.gif
). These are not the ones to avoid. They are the base of most conditoners and some leave ins. Isopropryl Alchohol and SD Alchohol 40 (I think this is the one) are the bad ones.

Mineral Oil and Petroleum are products that people avoid, but you should avoid them just because people say so. If those ingredients don't cause problems on your hair (they don't on mine) then I think in moderation (you aren't slathering straight mineral oil directly on the scalp daily) it's fine.
smile.gif

With those, try to avoid products that contain mineral oil or perto in the frist 4 or 5 ingredients. The higher up on an ingredient list an item is, the higher the concentration of that ingredient in the product. So things with mineral oil first are MOSTLY mineral oil, and you should maybe avoid those. Same with petroleum.

All alcohols aren't bad, it's just one or two in particular (like the one in spritz) that's drying. But like Cetearyl alcohol, that's fine. Or so I've been told. Either way, I don't care.
laugh.gif

Back