Controlling Your Naps..How do you do it? (long)

lovelymissyoli

I’ve been a very bad girl
crazy.gif
. Since I’ve gotten my hair done I have washed it three times and have used heat more than five times
frown.gif
. The weather out here ranges from 100-114 degrees and every time I sweat my hair poofs up. I resorted to heat to tame my hair and also because I had pictures taken these last two weeks. I know, I know, HEAT = BADDDD!, but I don’t know how to tame my naps or even have the time to actually spend on figuring out what method will work for me. I wanted to straw set my hair last Saturday but after I conditioned it, it reverted back to its natural texture and my curls didn’t come out looking like they should. I had a mixture of curly, nappy, and I wasn’t about to step outside looking a mess. Anyways, what do you ladies do to tame your naps/natural/frizzy hair?

I’ve tried:
1.) Parting my hair in sections and placing scrunchies on them to try to flatten my hair…didn’t work!
2.) Brushing my hair back…it left a big hump and was a big mistake…
3.) Detangling and letting my hair air dry…another big mess…

I’ve given up and just want to cut all my hair off even though I know I’ll regret it. I don’t know what to do
confused.gif
. This week is my last week of classes so I’ll have more time to dedicate to my hair but I just don’t know what to do! I really need some suggestions ladies before I consider just putting a relaxer in my hair. I don’t want bone straight hair, and I love my waves, but this is not what I expected at all. I think I’m giving up to soon… I need some reassurance!

You seem to be comfortable with braids...why not braid it? Get some cornrows or something for the summer months (redone periodically, of course). That way you don't have to worry about it for now, since you said you don't have time...

have u tried styling while the hair is soaking wet with products? Sometimes the hair can be a bit difficult to manipulate after it has dried. you dont have to wash daily. just wet the hair enough so that it can absorb products better. I find that gives me smoother results and makes life 100% easier.

Is there any way that you can get your hair braided? I live on the very humid east caost, but I make it out to your neck of the woods often, so I know how the weather is. I'm a big fan of keeping my hair up, up, and away during this time of year. Any kind of heat style just won't last for me.

Have you tried braidouts or some other type of style that would have you working with your hair as opposed to against it? I would do a braidout until next week then get braids until you have the time to figure out what will work for you.

Twist-outs and braid-outs are really nice. I always get compliments. I echo the sentiments of BabyBlue [you have BEAUTIFUL HAIR, BTW]. Make sure you moisturize your hair WHILE wet. Add your products when your hair is wet. You don't have to comb naps often. You don't have to wash your hair; try the no-poo method, where you would wash using conditioner instead of shampoo, which dries out the hair and consequently, your beautiful naps. [We don't want that do we?] Anyway, the good part is that being natural gives you an opportunity to experiment with different products. You have to find the products that work best for you. Good luck and hang in there...

Re: Controlling Your Naps..How do you do it? (long

Thank You ladies. I'll have to try those styling options. I really wanted to try a braid out. Is it best to do this after you wash your hair while it is damp? I was thinking about getting braids again but my braider lives an hour and a half away from me now and I really want to experiment with my hair a little (even though I'm having trouble). I'll have to try apply products while my hair is wet. BabyBlue, what type of products do you use (moisturizer, curl activator, pomade, etc)?

I agree with the other suggestions. Try braidouts, twistouts. With a good shampoo/conditioner/ wide-tooth comb, and products applied to wet hair, even THICK hair can be managed and styled without heat!

I like Cream of nature shampoo and conditioner. But Elucence is also really good. And after Jainygirl's glowing review of Kenra's conditioner, I'm about to try that.

Also, look in Babyblue's album. She lists several products that she recommends.

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
have u tried styling while the hair is soaking wet with products? Sometimes the hair can be a bit difficult to manipulate after it has dried. you dont have to wash daily. just wet the hair enough so that it can absorb products better. I find that gives me smoother results and makes life 100% easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 100% agree
smile.gif
My spray bottle is full of plain tap water.

Also experiment with leave in conditioners and serums for manageablitly. Aveda Elixir is very very good and can also be used for restyling dry hair.

Daily conditioner washes and gel have helped me to style my hair like I want.

Before gels, I would style my wet, conditioned hair up into a textured pony and smooth the front down with oils. With the gels, I wear my hair down and it doesn't poof as much as it would without the gels.

It took patience to figure out the best products to use but my hair is very happy I took the time.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

Before gels, I would style my wet, conditioned hair up into a textured pony and smooth the front down with oils. With the gels, I wear my hair down and it doesn't poof as much as it would without the gels.

It took patience to figure out the best products to use but my hair is very happy I took the time.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

--I've tried the wet look a few times but everytime I try to pull my hair back not all of it gathers together and I'm left with gaps & humps around my head. I'm afraid to try to brush it because my hair is already wet and I'm afraid it will damage it. I'll have to try this method...

[ QUOTE ]
lovelymissyoli said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

--I've tried the wet look a few times but everytime I try to pull my hair back not all of it gathers together and I'm left with gaps & humps around my head. I'm afraid to try to brush it because my hair is already wet and I'm afraid it will damage it. I'll have to try this method...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try smoothing it down in the shower, under running water. Then apply your products to sopping wet hair while still in the shower. Works for me every time.

[ QUOTE ]
cherish said:
[ QUOTE ]
lovelymissyoli said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try smoothing it down in the shower, under running water. Then apply your products to sopping wet hair while still in the shower. Works for me every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I do it!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lovelymissyoli said:
Thank You ladies. I'll have to try those styling options. I really wanted to try a braid out. Is it best to do this after you wash your hair while it is damp? I was thinking about getting braids again but my braider lives an hour and a half away from me now and I really want to experiment with my hair a little (even though I'm having trouble). I'll have to try apply products while my hair is wet. BabyBlue, what type of products do you use (moisturizer, curl activator, pomade, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]

The products i use depend on the mood of my hair or what i feel it needs for the moment. you can check my album for some product reviews. my favorite product right now is the kemi oyl shea butter pomade for soft shiny braids and twists. If i wear a puff i use s-curl to moisturize daily.

some tips:
1. try your braidouts on wet hair because the crinkly pattern will hold better and longer.

2.if u want to eliminate those unsightly humps when you wear a ponytail remember to style your ponytail wet while adding products in the shower. I cant stress this last point enough. I always end up with humps and bumps when i try to do a ponytail dry
laugh.gif

3. Dont be afraid to use your fingers. its not always necessary to brush and comb natural hair daily.

4. try conditioners washes. I HIGHLY recommend suave humectant. It softens my coarse tangled hair immediately on contact. I even use a little as a leave in.

p.s. thanks loverof naps!

This Just in...I tried the adding water to my hair and then putting products on. I was surprised at the fact that I was able to pull it back, and this morning when I woke up I didn't have one hump in my hair...thanks for the tips ladies!
smile.gif

BabyBlue, ~You said you add products while you are in the shower. Are you adding products while your hair is away from the shower head?

[ QUOTE ]
lovelymissyoli said:
This Just in...I tried the adding water to my hair and then putting products on. I was surprised at the fact that I was able to pull it back, and this morning when I woke up I didn't have one hump in my hair...thanks for the tips ladies!
smile.gif

BabyBlue, ~You said you add products while you are in the shower. Are you adding products while your hair is away from the shower head?

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad it worked for you! To answer your question, when i say i add products in the shower i mean after i let the water run over my head and it is wet to my satisfaction i add the products immediately after i jump out of the shower. I didnt mean to imply that i add products while the water is still running over my head. the key is to have your hair wet.

I don't try to tame my hair, It works best when you just let it flow!

SVT I LOVE your Avatar!!! Gorgeous!! Yes, all the suggestions have been great! Also, have you tried Sta-Sof-Fro?? This should make your hair really soft and very easy to comb/pick/style. It's also great for the moisturizing it gives too. You'll never have dry hair with it, but it also won't be greasy - just don't overuse. Also, what type of style do you want to wear? Are you wanting to wear it out?? (I love wearing my hair out and typically don't like cornrows for me because I like playing in my hair too much! Hahhaha!)If you don't want to wear it out, then cornrows, or flat twists might help! Or, if you do want to wear it out and just want to loosen it naturally, then flat twist it before bed, and then finger comb it out in the morning and this will give you great texture naturally and will hopefully loosen any tightness you may have! Good luck! :-)

I second and third the applying products in the shower routine. I get the most even distribution of my products that way. Also, I detangle in the shower with lots of conditioner (Daily Defense Tender Apple is THE BEST for me) so I won't have to worry about combing dry. When you try to do a braidout or twistout, wait until your hair is all the way dry before taking it down to have the most defined crimps. Blah, blah, blah...hope I helped you. Enjoy your naps!!!

Thanks for starting the thread. I just took out my braids and was stumped for a minute on what the hell to do with my hair. Right now I am sporting cornrows and I will unbraid it after a week and wear a braidout.

maybe others have suggested this but have you tried co washes they really help me with my thick type 4 hair. it makes my hair soft and manageable and keeps it moisturized. I agree with the ladies you should try styles like braid outs and twistouts they look cute and save your hair from damage.

I'll have to try these braid outs, they seem highly recommended. When you do braid outs, approximately how many braids do you put in your head?

it depends on the look you are going for...if you ever wore a "crimp" style, it can be achieved naturally by plaiting your hair into about 30 to 40 little braids. If you are going for a "deep wave" 14 to 16 plaits should do. For a "chunky fro" go for about 5 to 8. HTH

Back