Confused about How to Properly Moisturize???

GrowinLonger

As a new member, I was reading Sistaslick's 101 on moisturizing vs oil etc.

I have dry, dull 4a hair relaxed and want to moisturize effectively, but I have some questions.....:confused:

Since we are to moisturize THEN apply oils to seal the moisture in, can I only apply moisturizer after washing/con the hair for it to be effectively?

If my hair were to feel a little dry in between washes(2x week), is adding moisturizer pointless, since I've already added a coat of oil to seal it in(olive, jojoba, etc)?

Also, why is it that moisturizers contain oil (ORS, NTM,etc) which seals the hair off from additional moisture?

Sorry if this has been addressed in another posting. If so, feel free to point me to it instead of explaining over again. Thanks!:D

mysmallbiz said:

I have dry, dull 4a hair relaxed and want to moisturize effectively, but I have some questions.....:confused:

Since we are to moisturize THEN apply oils to seal the moisture in, can I only apply moisturizer after washing/con the hair for it to be effectively?

If my hair were to feel a little dry in between washes(2x week), is adding moisturizer pointless, since I've already added a coat of oil to seal it in(olive, jojoba, etc)?

Also, why is it that moisturizers contain oil (ORS, NTM,etc) which seals the hair off from additional moisture?

Sorry if this has been addressed in another posting. If so, feel free to point me to it instead of explaining over again. Thanks!:D

I think it can to a certain extent, depending on what you use. I put a moisturizer - Sidr Tree Butter Balm on my wet hair after shampooing and conditioning. It airdry it like this. Putting it on my wet hair, for some reason, really helps me retain moisture. Maybe because the cuticles are open or something. I really only have to moisturize once or twice during the days following and most times that is just for shine. The more new growth I have the more I have to moisturize during those days, but even still not daily. I actually get over moisturized since I have been doing it like this with the Sidr Tree. I used to use Giovanni Direct Leave-in or Pantene Smoothing Creme. With those, I did have to moisturize daily. So, I really think that doing it on shampoo days is good, but it depends on what product you use. Some are just not as concentrated as products like Sidr Tree Butter balm.

I was thinking about this the other morning. I think the theory is that after the hair absorbs the moisture then you can reapply but I am no hair expert so I will wait for answers as well.:ohwell:

mysmallbiz said:

Oh and about this - That is not true for all moisturizers. My Sidr Tree Butter Balm has Sidr Tree Butter (kinda like Shea butter) which is technically an oil. I never experienced being over moisturized until I started using this. Again, I really think it is what you use!!!!

I have used other creams that have oil and they don't block moisture, but they don't moisturize even closely as Sidr Tree does on my wet hair. I don't use it on dry hair but there are ladies that do and love it. But, then again it is another love or hate product. Some ladies say that it is too heavy for them.

mysmallbiz said:

These oils tend to wear off during the week so it's ok to moisturize/seal more than once a week....I actually do it on a daily basis..but I use a homemade concoction of water/glycerine as moisture & safflower/jojoba for sealing..I do wear my hair protective styles so my hair can take all the moisture & oil..actually it thrives on it and is never overly wet or greasy..I don't know if ORS/NTM has cones that might keep you from being able to moisturize over them?

Thanks Ladies.

My hair is the same way (having to moisturize when wet). Otherwise, I can put half a bottle on my hair and it still looks dry and dull.:ohwell:

I'll have to check out that Sidr Tree Butter Balm....

Thanks Ladies.

My hair is the same way (having to moisturize when wet). Otherwise, I can put half a bottle on my hair and it still looks dry and dull.:ohwell:

I'll have to check out that Sidr Tree Butter Balm....

bump ...interesting topic...as for me I do my primary moisturizer while my hair is wet and just maintain the moisture with castor oil. That seems to work best for my hair.

Chayil

Back