Conflicted: To Texlax (again), or Not...

Eisani

:wallbash::wallbash: Patience is not one of my strengths and right now I feel like I seriously need to make a decision. While I'm enjoying my 13 months post hair, I'm not enjoying the shedding and breakage. I know it comes w/transitioning, but I'm just wondering if it's even worth it! I'm wondering if it's even really a lot...I could be paranoid. It's not like I'm seeing huge clumps of hair, I'm just not used to seeing any really w/my texlaxed hair, which I did for about 4 yrs (I think) before I even knew what it was called.

IMO, it would be silly to go backwards after transitioning all this time, but I'm not willing to BC. My head is too big :lachen:. I'm at a loss. Or maybe it's PMS :laugh: :cry4: :skitzo: :chocbunny: . I just know this winter is whoopin my hair's asterisk. OH!!! Not to mention, now that I have more natural hair, my thinner left side is sooo much more obvious to me and it's driving me knuckin futs :spinning:!!

:help:

Winter's whooping my hair's asterisk too lol. You're not the only one contemplating; I don't want to be flat-ironing/using heat every week for manageability though :S

What are you using on it? I had to switch up my products because my texlaxed products were causing breakage once my hair got over 50% natural.

I say wait because your hormones are jumping like a disco and because when I've had the urge, it has passed and I end up SO GLAD that I didn't do it.

What are you using on it? I had to switch up my products because my texlaxed products were causing breakage once my hair got over 50% natural.

I say wait because your hormones are jumping like a disco and because when I've had the urge, it has passed and I end up SO GLAD that I didn't do it.
Lately I've been trying to be more conscious of what I use, using less products w/synthetic ingredients. If I could wear two french braids and a snood to work everyday, I would...I wonder if I can get away with it :look:. Now that I really think about it, I haven't been baggying or protecting my ends like I usually do which I'm sure is a contributing factor. My hair has been kinda fast lately being worn in twist outs and braid outs. We know better. I need to do some journaling and get on top of thangs. I think you're right about my hormones, I'm very impulsive by nature so I have to watch myself.

Lately I've been trying to be more conscious of what I use, using less products w/synthetic ingredients. If I could wear two french braids and a snood to work everyday, I would...I wonder if I can get away with it :look:. Now that I really think about it, I haven't been baggying or protecting my ends like I usually do which I'm sure is a contributing factor. My hair has been kinda fast lately being worn in twist outs and braid outs. We know better. I need to do some journaling and get on top of thangs. I think you're right about my hormones, I'm very impulsive by nature so I have to watch myself.

Yeah, just give it some time. And the journaling thing is a great idea. I never actually did that although I probably should have because I went through a period of being frustrated with inconsistent results.

Those texlaxed ends are fragile and have to be babied. I don't even have much left and I still look after them because they are fussy.

Also, I think using products with fewer synthetic ingredients is a great idea. I've been doing the same and my natural hair likes sulfate-free poo.

You wouldn't happen to be an aries would you? Honestly, I've been thinking about doing a BC lately, but I KNOW I don't what in the heck to do with short hair, so I'm wiggin it for the moment :yawn:

You wouldn't happen to be an aries would you? Honestly, I've been thinking about doing a BC lately, but I KNOW I don't what in the heck to do with short hair, so I'm wiggin it for the moment :yawn:
Straight up and down, 4/13 :grin:!!!

Do you think it has something to do with not using heat? I can't imagine trying to do that when I was transitioning. The heat smoothed my hair and made it all one texture, and I think that kept it from breaking and shedding too much.

Last edited:
wow, me three! April 12th. Is that why I go up and down so much big chopping and growing out hair like changing the tv channel. LOL!!

Another Aries in the house and my bday is April 12 as well!!! Yay!!

Eisani, I know you will make the best decision for your hair. It always look great to me!!! :-)

Do you think it has something to do with not using heat? I can't imagine trying to do that when I was texlaxing. The heat smoothed my hair and made it all one texture, and I think that kept it from breaking and shedding too much.
I never even thought about that. I have a lot to consider. When I texlaxed regularly (every 3-7 mos :look:), I rollerset a lot and would either flat iron or blow out my roots, or just flat iron all of my hair every now and then. Now I'm wondering if keeping it straightened would help my ends. Thanks for bringing this up!

wow, me three! April 12th. Is that why I go up and down so much big chopping and growing out hair like changing the tv channel. LOL!!
It's very likely :yep:. Those impulses are nothing nice!

I never even thought about that. I have a lot to consider. When I texlaxed regularly (every 3-7 mos :look:), I rollerset a lot and would either flat iron or blow out my roots, or just flat iron all of my hair every now and then. Now I'm wondering if keeping it straightened would help my ends. Thanks for bringing this up!

I meant to type that I couldn't imagine not using heat when I was transitioning, but the same goes for texlaxing.:yep: The only thing I could do when texlaxed was rollerset/flat iron. Airdrying meant hard hair and breakage city. When transitioning, I had to blowdry and flat iron, or again, breakage city.:sad:

I meant to type that I couldn't imagine not using heat when I was transitioning, but the same goes for texlaxing.:yep: The only thing I could do when texlaxed was rollerset/flat iron. Airdrying meant hard hair and breakage city. When transitioning, I had to blowdry and flat iron, or again, breakage city.:sad:
I figured that was what you meant :) When I air dry, it's really soft but I really think it's the manipulation afterwards that my hair doesn't like. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd probably let it airdry and just let it stay wild. I'm seriously going to see if I can wear snoods and the like to work. It's not like I look like a cafeteria lady when I wear them :look:! I think I'll be doing something tonight.

Late, but... ME 5!! March 25th! lol.

I meant to type that I couldn't imagine not using heat when I was transitioning, but the same goes for texlaxing. The only thing I could do when texlaxed was rollerset/flat iron. Airdrying meant hard hair and breakage city. When transitioning, I had to blowdry and flat iron, or again, breakage city.

And I thought I was the only one that got breakage from airdrying...

How often do you blowdry and flat iron? I co-wash every 2 days or so and shampoo every week. Too much blowdrying for me if I were to do that every wash. I do it about once a week but I still think it's too much for me :(

*off to search for rollersetting threads*

:ohwell:

4/17 :grin:. Don't let your impulsive nature lead you in the wrong direction, I promise you might regret it :look:
I was thinking out loud last night and I said I'm just going to buy a relaxer. My daughter was sitting on the bed watching TV and said all nonchalant-like "Your hair is going to fall out if you do." :perplexed Not that I don't know how to care for my hair but I don't know, it sounded like an omen or something to me. I tend to listen to children. Out of the mouths of babes...

I was thinking out loud last night and I said I'm just going to buy a relaxer. My daughter was sitting on the bed watching TV and said all nonchalant-like "Your hair is going to fall out if you do." :perplexed Not that I don't know how to care for my hair but I don't know, it sounded like an omen or something to me. I tend to listen to children. Out of the mouths of babes...

:lachen:

please dont texlax! i think you will be quite pleased when you are fully natural. try to push through the ugly phase.those snoods really help! my hair could look unpresentable but with one on it looks nice and classy. i leave my front edges out and slick them down and i get compliments all day.

Eisani, have you made a pro and con list? Putting everything on paper might be able to help

What would make you the happiest? The most fulfilled? The most satisfied?

Back