Cones?

AKA1908

Hello Ladies! Greetings from Houston, TX! Sooo...can y'all explain what cones are and what they do? I've searched the forums and have read varying views. Thanks a bunch!

Cones are are found in a lot of commercial hair brands. They basically coat and smooth the strand. Some folks prefer to stay away from them because they don't allow moisture to penetrate the strand, so in effect, the cones are acting as a barrier. Personally I like cones, and like most things - moderation is key. I only ever use silicones on wash day, and I tend to use natural based hair moisturisers and oils to seal and have no problems in retaining moisture.

Last edited:
Cones are are found in a lot of commercial hair brands. They basically coat and smooth the strand. Some folks prefer to stay away from them because they don't allow moisture to penetrate the strand, so the cones are acting as a barrier. Personally I like cones, and like most things moderation is key. I only ever use silicones on wash day. I tend to use natural based hair moisturisers and oils to seal and I don't have problems in retaining moisture.

YUP!!!

I was anit-cone anything for a long tome, even when going back to relaxers. I noticed that since I am not relaxed bonestraight in many areas they work to keep my flatiron job smoother longer.

For my head all cones dont block out moisture. I noticed that amodimethicone does not block out moisture. I use Beyond the zone Protein cocktail has amodimethicone as the 2nd ingredient and my leave-in applied right after worked just fine.

OP something to take note of, do what works well for you head. There are many cones our there that work on a case by case basis. I would suggest if using them use a clear shampoo to rid the hair of them (clarifying)

Yeah not all cones are equal - some are more water soluble than others and more easier to wash out. Others require a good cleanser to remove them, that's why regular clarifying is quite important if you're a cone user.

I am a no "cone" kind of person. I'm looking into products that contain water soluble cones, but since I've discovered ceramides I keep my hair free of them (ceramides also smooth the strand and fill the "gaps").

Whatever works for you is best. :yep:

Cones work decently for my hair when using heat. My hair doesn't take to kindly too them when air drying. Thus far it seems situational.

Thanks! And I totally feel you on that Houston humidity, Solitude! So, would it make sense to moisturize your hair first, then seal with a product that has cones? I hope that makes sense...

I'm noticing that my curls are more springy and lively without cones. I'm not ready to completely give them up though. I love them in styling products, not so much in conditioners

Well my hair does well with the Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner which has cones.. I guess it depends on the product used..

Thanks! And I totally feel you on that Houston humidity, Solitude! So, would it make sense to moisturize your hair first, then seal with a product that has cones? I hope that makes sense...

It does make sense...that's exactly what I do. I top off the product containing cones with oil.

I was a cone head (xcuse the pun) for a year until it caught up with me. Could never keep moisture in my hair for any length of time. Not to mention the product buildup. But ever since I gave them up, my hair has thrived! But different strokes..........

Since I've discovered ceramides...which also smooth the hair strand without ever blocking moisture...I don't feel the need to go back to cones. *shrug*

Back