• once/wk.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • once/mo.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • NEVA!!!!

Votes: 23 18.5%

• Total voters

pistachio

How often do you guys do this? I'm thinking of trying this, and laying off the blow-dryer, and flat-iron. I'm getting lazy, and it's a hassel to flat-iron. it take forever!! I'm even thinking of letting my hair air dry too. perhaps i'll get even healthier hair too:ohwell: Anyway, how do you guys CW your hair/ Do you just wet ur hair, put some cond. in it, and then rinse out, or do you let it sit for a while, or do you put on a cap and sit under the dryer? I've found what I consider to be the perfect rinse-out conditioner, so now I wanna see if CW works for me too.

pistachio said:
How often do you guys do this? I'm thinking of trying this, and laying off the blow-dryer, and flat-iron. I'm getting lazy, and it's a hassel to flat-iron. it take forever!! I'm even thinking of letting my hair air dry too. perhaps i'll get even healthier hair too:ohwell: Anyway, how do you guys CW your hair/ Do you just wet ur hair, put some cond. in it, and then rinse out, or do you let it sit for a while, or do you put on a cap and sit under the dryer? I've found what I consider to be the perfect rinse-out conditioner, so now I wanna see if CW works for me too.

I voted "NEVA!" because I tried this but didn't like it. I do however love CWC's. My hair likes shampoo. :)

I also voted NEVA,

I have never conditioner washed... and really don't plan on doing it. I gots to have shampoo to clean my scalp.. conditioners can make my scalp itch.

Deep conditioners are my thing.. right after a shampoo, and the longer I stretch my relaxers then rinse out conditioners are great for me for slip..but only after my shampoo:)

Last edited:
pistachio said:
what does "cwc" mean? I'm slow at learning LHCF terms:lol:

Condition-wash-condition. I usually use V05 Strawberries & Cream as the first conditioner and then Garnier Length & Strength Fortifying Cream Conditioner as the last.

I cowash once per week, usually on Wednesdays. I use a cheapie conditioner, like Suave or V05. Here's my process:

-I wet my hair under the shower stream, then squeeze a liberal amount of the conditioner into my hair. I massage it in (almost like I was lathering a shampoo) and cover with a plastic cap.
-Then, I take a few minutes to wash my face, body, shave, etc. I let the conditioner sit like this to help loosen up any gunk I may have on the hair strands.
-After a couple of minutes, I remove the cap and rinse out the conditioner, using a shower comb to detangle.
-Next, I squeeze out the excess water and add my leave-in and oil.
-I twist my hair into a little bun, pin it up, or throw in a couple of flexirods so I can airdry. I may also add a little gel or Beyond the Zone Stiff Head to my edges before I tie it all down with a satin scarf.

My hair isn't all that long though, so those with longer hair may have different methods. Also, I found that cowashing was leaving my hair a little on the mushy side, so I just started a modified version (I saw it in KiniKakes' Fotki). I'm going to start using hair mayonnaise (Africa's Best) as a "pre-treatment" for about 15-30 min. before I cowash. This will act as a mild-moderate protein treatment, and help keep my hair from becoming over-moisturized by the cowashing process. I'm discovering that my hair likes protein.

Last edited:
navsegda said:
Condition-wash-condition. I usually use V05 Strawberries & Cream as the first conditioner and then Garnier Length & Strength Fortifying Cream Conditioner as the last.

oh, I see. thanx:)

preciousjewel76 said:
I cowash once per week, usually on Wednesdays. I use a cheapie conditioner, like Suave or V05. Here's my process:

-I wet my hair under the shower stream, then squeeze a liberal amount of the conditioner into my hair. I massage it in (almost like I was lathering a shampoo) and cover with a plastic cap.
-Then, I take a few minutes to wash my face, body, shave, etc. I let the conditioner sit like this to help loosen up any gunk I may have on the hair strands.
-After a couple of minutes, I remove the cap and rinse out the conditioner, using a shower comb to detangle.
-I twist my hair into a little bun, pin it up, or throw in a couple of flexirods so I can airdry. I may also add a little gel or Beyond the Zone Stiff Head to my edges before I tie it all down with a satin scarf.

My hair isn't all that long though, so those with longer hair may have different methods.

your post was very helpful too :) If i'm gonna do these CW's then i need to nail down a routine too. thanx:)

I voted neva also. If I CW, by the end of the day I am tearing up my scalp. I CWC also. Navs I a getting all this from you, but I do it backwards. I deepcondition first ( on dry hair with Lustrasilk Mango Butter and Organics hair mayo, wash, then condition with a rinse out). I dont know where I got this from but it works;)

The traditional way of co-washing never worked for me. No matter what the conditioner.

So I don't know if this is considered a co-wash. But I slather conditioner on dry hair, get under the dryer for about 30 minutes, and rinse. My hair turns out like butta doing this. I do this every other week. I alternate this with shampooing.

I used to CW about twice a week. I would slather some conditioner on my dry hair and cover it with a plastic bag and let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. I would then get in the shower, rinse, apply a moisturizing conditioner, do the rest of my shower routine, then rinse, and then apply my leave-ins.

I stopped out of pure laziness... but now that I think back my hair was better moisturized back then.. :scratchch

preciousjewel76 said:

My hair isn't all that long though, so those with longer hair may have different methods. Also, I found that cowashing was leaving my hair a little on the mushy side, so I just started a modified version (I saw it in KiniKakes' Fotki). I'm going to start using hair mayonnaise (Africa's Best) as a "pre-treatment" for about 15-30 min. before I cowash. This will act as a mild-moderate protein treatment, and help keep my hair from becoming over-moisturized by the cowashing process. I'm discovering that my hair likes protein.

This is a good example...I pretty much follow the same routine. Basically you are just using conditoner like it were a shampoo.

Now Pistachio, am I gonna have to come and hunt you down for using that flat iron and blow dryer so much:lol:

marie170 said:
This is a good example...I pretty much follow the same routine. Basically you are just using conditoner like it were a shampoo.

Now Pistachio, am I gonna have to come and hunt you down for using that flat iron and blow dryer so much:lol:

hehe, yeah i was dead wrong for that! :lol: Esp. since it's winter time and I have NO BUSINESS trying to get all fancy and use all knids of abusive heat lol

MsDee4 said:
I used to CW about twice a week. I would slather some conditioner on my dry hair and cover it with a plastic bag and let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. I would then get in the shower, rinse, apply a moisturizing conditioner, do the rest of my shower routine, then rinse, and then apply my leave-ins.

I stopped out of pure laziness... but now that I think back my hair was better moisturized back then.. :scratchch

This is the way I do my co washes also. I didn't vote though because I'm not co washing now since it's cold, but in the summer time I usually co wash everyday.

Neva.. I used to cw all the time when i was natural and my hair sucked. Always dry and breaking off like it was nothing My hair would be in a pile on the floor... That is too much manipulation for me.. I like to deep condition with each was and that is good enough....

I voted daily! I use Suave Tropical Coconut every morning in the shower and I shampoo when necessary (once or twice a week usually).

I CW every other day. But, I just BCed and I wear a wash n go (spray n go on off days). 90% of the time, I use a shower cap while I bathe. I don't do long deep conditionings so I opt to do several mini ones during the week.

I used to CW every day in the spring and summer months. It worked well, but I got tired of walking around with wet hair. I changed to every 2-3 days. In the fall/winter, once a week is enough for me.

I con wash 3 times per week - on SUN, Tues, and Thursdays.

I either just wet my hair apply (light) conditioner, massage and rinse - OR-I apply a deep conditioner to dry hair with heat for 30-60 mins, rinse, and then apply (light) conditioner to wash scalp.

I'm surprised at how clean and refreshed my hair and scalp gets with just a light conditioner - I haven't used a shampoo in months. :D

Once a week for me usually on Wed. I haven't used heat and air dried all year in 2006 out of laziness. Frequency increases as I stretch my times between touchups. Weekends are shampoo deep condition days.

I cw, moisturize, seal every day. This helps me get rid of the stuff I put on my hair mornings(IC, WGO) to keep it in place.

I wash my hair 2wice a week and CW once a week

When I do CW it’s when I take a bath (I take a bubble bath once a week), I love CW while taking a bath my routine is:
Apply leave in sleek and shine Garnier Frutics that morning
Completely Wet hair in bathtub
Apply hello hydration or VO5 cheapie condish in sections
Comb thro hair with a wide tooth comb in sections
Rinse out in bathtub (I don’t apply any conditioner to my scalp but I put my hair into the water and massage my scalp this is the best partJ)
After the conditioner is rinsed out I gently pat my hair with a towel and ring it out
Apply deep conditioner (sleek and shine 3 minute or Aussie moist DEEEP)
I then put my hair up with the deep conditioner on it and do my usual bath thing shave legs relax.
After my bath is over I let the bathtub water out and I rinse the deep conditioner out with cold water in the shower

I have found that this is something I can stick to and I don’t find that my scalp is itchy at all after but I do shampoo my hair about 1ce a week and I oil my scalp with Jojoba as well.

LocksOfLuV said:
The traditional way of co-washing never worked for me. No matter what the conditioner.

So I don't know if this is considered a co-wash. But I slather conditioner on dry hair, get under the dryer for about 30 minutes, and rinse. My hair turns out like butta doing this. I do this every other week. I alternate this with shampooing.

I've been wanting to try Co washing. I think your regimen is the one I'm going to try. :)

Everyday to every other day. My hair is in love with CW.:) Smooth, soft new-growth, more relaxed curl pattern, LESS LESS LESS shedding!:D

Back