Con Argan Oil Shampoo Formula Change

I still have a full bottle of the old formula, I'm going to hide it from my sisters and if they ask, I spilled. I'm going to my local Giant to see. But the bottle I bought was a while ago probably a year ago.

ETA: They still have yet to reply to my angry email. I would advise all of you ladies to send one. I LOVE this shampoo and they at least need to make it available through some outlet.
Yea if they have to put out their nasty cone one they should at least offer both versions.

I've visited THREE BSS and all three have the California production company listed with the new ingredients.
Very sad.

I will find it LOL.

@julzinha CON was unresponsive last time they discontinued their shampoo also. I won't tell you not to try but I wouldn't hold my breath. I got too complacent by giving them my money with these Argon products. #neveragain

Keracare was one of the shampoos I used in the interim last time around but it's a higher price point than CON.

Has anyone used Elasta QP moisturizing intense whatever the full name is?

I went to my local Target and they had at least 10 bottles of the new formula. I noticed that the color of the new formula is much lighter. I am on a serious search mission for this shampoo. It seems like the formula change was recent and old bottles are still out there.

Argh my bss only had the new fomula. I got a 32oz of the old school Scurl though (the last one on the shelf).
Very disappointing.

I only have 1 bottle of the CON shampoo left.

I did snag one of my old favorite shampoos the softsheen carson breakthru shampoo. Fingers crossed it works like it used to.

Now that shampoo is the truth. I wish I could get my hands on some.

As far as Creme of Nature , they are always messing with a good thing. When will they learn ?

I checked mine and it has cones in it. I went to look for the old one and its too late. I would have never notice either unless I found out it stopped working for my hair because of the build up

WOOOOOOOOW! UGH, I REALLY LIKED THIS SHAMPOO! :( I have 2 unused, new bottles under my bathroom sink. I just hope this new formulation works on my hair just as well as the old, this shampoo always left my hair the softest out of all my favourites. :pray: Hmm... usually I can tell when a product has changed ingredients because the label is different, 9/10 that's how you know there's a forumation change. This time though... CON was sneaky, the label of the old and new formulas look exactly the same. :scratchchin:

By the way, the new formulations have been in circulation since April 2nd at least. I bought 2 of them from an online drugstore retailer in Canada (was too lazy to go to the BSS) and the new ones are what I got. :yep: This thread made me double check to compare to an old bottle that was running out, plus the date I placed that order with the online retailer – sure enough, I have the changed formula. :nono: I suggest if you want the older bottles, to go to your local BSS – they tend to have older stock. Places like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. WILL most likely NOT have the older bottles; bigger chains try to get rid of old stock quickly.

Last edited:
The cones are after the EDTA so I am guessing they are all in at 0.5% or less. The most egregious thing to me is Argan Oil being so down on the list, right beside the preservatives. It is just there for label appeal now and probably in at about 0.1%.

Other annoying things:
- changing from Decyl Glucosides, which is better for dry hair, to Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate that is better for oily hair
- moving all the moisturizing ingredients after fragrance so either they increased the fragrance a lot or decreased the rest. I am betting on the latter.

They either don't know their customer base well or don't care.

Last edited:
Creme of Nature truly are some sneaky bastards. There is no notification on the packaging that there was a formula change and the new formula is only slightly different in color than the original. That is probably why there are still a few old ones on the shelves , they are banking on the fact that most ppl won't notice the change.

HUGE Thank You to OP @JunMom2Be because I genuinely don't think many of us would have noticed the change if you hadn't mentioned it.

Last edited:
I've had my most recent bottle for a couple months already and I was wondering why it didn't work the same as it did before. Just checked and I have the new formula. Arrggh...now I gotta go looking for the old one. It's definitely been out for a good minute because I bought this a while ago. I wouldn't have thought to check for new ingredients. Blah

checking reviews on Amazon and the new one has been out even longer than expected. This review is from February. Smh. It's gonna be nearly impossible to find the old one now

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
1Not the same formulation
ByStaron February 10, 2015
Unfortunately Creme of Nature has decided to reformulate this product since it first came out. The product now contains silicones and a harsher detergent. The shampoo is also slimy upon lathering, presumably due to the addition of cones. Why change a good thing? I was so disappointed, and now I'm stuck with two bottles I will never use. Amazon should really update the ingredients list on this product to reflect the change!

Do you guys remember what they changed with the first formula? From what I remember it wasn't as drastic change as this. I think they took out an oil and replaced it with argon oil and hanged the bottle? Lhcf went POSTAL (even though the formula still ended up performing well) and they did nothing. I have no hope they will listen to us but it's still good to let them know what's up so when they're sales go down they'll know why and get a clue.

I still find myself looking in those back woods bss for the original formula lmao. That would be like gold to me if I found it.

The Nexxus organic in green bottle is great if y'all want to try a new moisturising shampoo .
Also the EQP olive shampoo is similar to Con Argan

checking reviews on Amazon and the new one has been out even longer than expected. This review is from February. Smh. It's gonna be nearly impossible to find the old one now

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful
1Not the same formulation
ByStaron February 10, 2015
Unfortunately Creme of Nature has decided to reformulate this product since it first came out. The product now contains silicones and a harsher detergent. The shampoo is also slimy upon lathering, presumably due to the addition of cones. Why change a good thing? I was so disappointed, and now I'm stuck with two bottles I will never use. Amazon should really update the ingredients list on this product to reflect the change!
Nah it s always been VERY slimy that's how CON shampoos are . Slimy thick -coatey ad hard to rinse off . They do give good results though !

Do you guys remember what they changed with the first formula? From what I remember it wasn't as drastic change as this. I think they took out an oil and replaced it with argon oil and hanged the bottle? Lhcf went POSTAL (even though the formula still ended up performing well) and they did nothing. I have no hope they will listen to us but it's still good to let them know what's up so when they're sales go down they'll know why and get a clue.

I still find myself looking in those back woods bss for the original formula lmao. That would be like gold to me if I found it.

No it was definitely more than switching out the oil with Argon oil they just stopped selling the red cap version. I was not on hair boards then and while I had a few bottles at home I had NO idea that it was being discontinued. I initially thought my regular BSS had stopped selling it and was pissed when I realized that CON just stopped selling it at all. They were pushing other versions (which did not work for me at the time as fully relaxed). It was a few years before they came back on the scene with this current Argon version that was similar enough to the original red cap version for me to forgive them. Fool me once....won't be messing with them anymore. It was a good shampoo for the price point. I'll deal with the more expensive ones before CON gets money from me ever again.

It still has great slio, but I don't play with cones like that. Out of my hair products, I might have one with a one and that's it and it's always a conditioner. But the fact I wash with the shampoo weekly pisses me off. I switch different conditioners so with the conditioner it would be once a month cone use. I was going to do a green tea rinse but now I will clarify first an then do it

I've only used one time but the Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni & Manoi shampoo may be a contender.

I had a bottle with a small amount of CON Argon shampoo. I left it by my sink to wash my makeup brushes. After I did one wash with the Tahitian shampoo I decided to just finish the CON and I truly felt the difference in my hair. With so much going on with my transition not sure why I didn't realize sooner the formula had changed. I think I'll give away the unopened bottles I have. Anyway did another wash with Tahitian and hair felt better again. Not the same price point (unless you get BOGO).

i dont use this product but i feel your pain. its similar to when companies just discontinue your fav product :(

maybe this new formulation is cheaper to make.

Have you ladies successfully been able to find some of the old bottles?
Yes I have 11 bottles lol This stuff makes detangling my natural hair a breeze. I remember the last time this happened when they discontinued the green CON and I was so made at myself for not stocking up then.

Thanks to @CaramelPrincezz for the idea to go to the BSS!! The FIRST one I went to had all new formula in the 8oz size, BUT had two 20oz old formula bottles. After I double checked the ingredients against the small bottles I quick ran up to the register. There was a guy stocking the shelves and he followed me. He had a box of new formula and asked me what the price on the bottle was because I "took the last ones." :look: :giggle:

SO do like she said and 1. go to the BSS, and 2. look for the big bottle. :grinwink:

@yodie I am wondering the same thing. Tonight I used some of the green CON that I have left over and it just reminded of how good CON used to be. Now if they'd just listened to us and brought the green label back!!!

Has anyone found a good replacement sulfate free shampoo?

I currently use both CON Argan Oil and Keracare Hydrating Detangling. I order the Keracare from JC Penney so I keep the CON Argan Oil on hand because it's easier to get to. IMO, while they perform similarly, I prefer the Keracare. Was also a huge fan of CON green label and stocked up like a crazy woman years back when that changed. The Keracare is the best shampoo I've ever used.

Back