Comfort Zone For Fine Hair

Renaylor

After trial and error I finally realized that if I want to see real length I will have let go of the habits that are bad for me since I have fine hair that may work for everyone else.
No more wet wrapping=I have managed to conquer the breakage issue with this method. I was using too much protein and not clarifying so it was breaking my hair off. But once my hair gets past a certain length this option is not going to be feasible because it will require too much manipulation.
Roller setting(Wet)= I find that I am still manipulating my hair too much to get hair around those rollers. My hair is neck length and maybe once it gets shoulder length or longer I will have better luck. But I still find my hair no matter how texlaxed it is is too fragile for these wet methods. I have tried magnetic rollers=the duck bill clips catch my hair the wrong way and break my hair off,wire mesh rollers=great,but the pins don't stay fixed well on larger rollers and I feel like I am being stuck in my head when using the smaller ones,magnetic rollers with snap enclosures=better but leave an indentation.
What ended up being my final decision was to go back to an old tried and true method that I used to use before wet wrapping when my hair was shorter. I know some ladies here do the same and I feel like knocking myself in the head because this was probably why my hair thrived years ago...less manipulation.Here is my routine-
1)Wash with Keracare Dry and Itchy Scalp shampoo x1 wash and 2-3 washes with the Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo. I detangle my hair with my fingers only
2)deep condition with Aveda DR intensive conditioner for 30 minutes, rinse then apply Jamaican Black Castor oil(warmed) to my scalp. After, I apply Aveda DR Intensive Reconstructuring Treatment with a hot towel and plastic cap for 30 minutes then rinse
3) with a wide tooth comb I detangle carefully section by section and comb in back all while my hair is sopping wet. I do not squeeze out the extra moisture.
4) I apply a pinky size amt of Aveda elixir and universal styling cream smoothing roots to ends. Then I take 2 puffs of Keracare foaming wrap lotion and apply roots to end. I smooth my hair back and tie a silk scarf around it and let it air dry(my hair takes 4 hrs).
5) When dry my hair is straight, textured, full and ready for my steam rollers
6) after steam rolling I wrap it using a Denman brush(which I find is kind to my hair and leaves it with no breakage) and leave it that way for a few hours to set and voila! sleek straight hair full of body. I find that if it is wrapped well I will not need to wrap it but one other time the whole week. The rest of the time I use a silk scarf with my hair smoothed back and the hair left out in the back.

With this method I have significantly reduced the amount of manipulation and have hair full of body and shine but sleek. The only method of heat I use is my steam rollers. I got rid of my Blow dryer,curling iron, and flat iron years ago. I only have my hair blown out and flat ironed when I go to my salon. I hope this method will help some of you ladies out there

Thanks for this info.

I have fine hair but I don't wear it down. I will have to experiment again with my caruso steam rollers. The first attempt was not successful.

Good info! We fine hair ladies have to be so careful, don't we? My tips based on what works for me are:

No Heavy Proteins
Too frequent use of protein
Less is More with Product use
No Over Manipulation while the hair is wet
Moderate to Minimal Heat use
Keep Hair & Scalp clean
Big One - Using the proper relaxer strength for my hair type. My current stylist is the first hairdresser to adjust my relaxer type/strength. Every other stylist I've been to would slap whatever relaxer they had on hand into my hair, w/o taking my individual needs into consideration.

Last edited:
Just goes to show everyone's hair is different, even if it's the same type. I have extremely fine hair and it thrives on protein. Protein makes it strong and resistant to everyday "wear and tear." Excess moisture does my hair in....excess shedding galore if I'm over moisturized. Also, scheduled trims is a MUST or my hair will start splitting up the shaft. Shout out to my fine-haired sistas!:wave:

I am like Lavendar in that I have to use heavy and medium proteins frequently to maintain my hair, and the ultramoisturizing conditioners really just make my hair fall apart, but otherwise I agree with all the tips above. Blowdrying and wrapping can be just too much manipulation, I just bun or occasionally airdry and flat iron.

Lavendar said:
Just goes to show everyone's hair is different, even if it's the same type. I have extremely fine hair and it thrives on protein. Protein makes it strong and resistant to everyday "wear and tear." Excess moisture does my hair in....excess shedding galore if I'm over moisturized. Also, scheduled trims is a MUST or my hair will start splitting up the shaft. Shout out to my fine-haired sistas!:wave:

ITA. It took me awhile to realize that my hair really likes protein. My hair gets weak and too light & soft. It will feel like I don't have any hair on my head! Its hard to describe. But using protien really helps my hair feel strong.

Rollerset are a lifesaver. I love the way my hair feels and it creates MUCH needed volume we fine haired ladies lack.

Thats great that you found what works best for you. Our fine strands needs all the love that it can get. What I found that helps for me especiallly late in a stretch is not combing my hair at all. I dont even detangle in the shower. I only comb when I rollerset and I try not to do that. Good luck girl. You will be at your goal in no time if you stick to that routine.

Back